• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3070FE Undervolt Query

Associate
Hi,

My 3070 founders gets pretty warm, especially during flight sim, max 76/77c but generally around 73-75c. So I'm thinking of undervolting it to keep it a bit cooler and quieter. However looking at a few guides online each of them seem to use different settings so it's a bit confusing...

I was wondering if anyone here has undervolted their 3070FE and if so would be able to give me a quick run through of what settings you used?

Basically I want to just set it and forget, I'm fine with losing a few FPS in order to run the card cooler and use less power. Also I read somewhere that an undervolt can make things unstable, especially in RTX heavy titles, I would rather er on the side of caution and set it so that everything runs stable.

Thanks in advance!

Soldato
Hi,

My 3070 founders gets pretty warm, especially during flight sim, max 76/77c but generally around 73-75c. So I'm thinking of undervolting it to keep it a bit cooler and quieter. However looking at a few guides online each of them seem to use different settings so it's a bit confusing...

I was wondering if anyone here has undervolted their 3070FE and if so would be able to give me a quick run through of what settings you used?

Basically I want to just set it and forget, I'm fine with losing a few FPS in order to run the card cooler and use less power. Also I read somewhere that an undervolt can make things unstable, especially in RTX heavy titles, I would rather er on the side of caution and set it so that everything runs stable.

Thanks in advance!

This might give you an idea note he is using AIB Card which have better cooling and higher boosts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV0C3zDJETY

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
However looking at a few guides online each of them seem to use different settings so it's a bit confusing...
the joys of silicon lottery. What works for one card might make another unstable. The manufacturer will always overestimate it for stability on the worst quality GPU so, unless you are really unlucky, there should be headroom.

As advised, use afterburner and then it's all down to how much patience you have for trial and error.

Associate
I 'got into' underd-volting for the first time this generation of cards. IT does make a huge difference. Dropped power use nearly 50W, dropped fan noise, and improved on the coil whine, while actually scoring higher in various benchmarks to boot!

Unfortunately it does involve far too much fiddling / testing. Its one reason on my last build I did no OCing at all. Ran stock for 6yrs without a hitch. (Builds prior I was always OCing...benching...)
I have run more benchmarks and stability tests in the last 3 months than the last 6 years...
And whats frustrating is I have also had more game crashes and BSODs.

Even after getting getting my UV 'stable' in all the stress tests for hours on end... GTA V of all games manages to eek out a blue screen or a game crash still.
But its hard to reproduce...

Id much rather run my card bone stock and not have these rare crashes.... but its just too loud stock. (And the coil whine is much worse too...)

So the TL:DR to that ramble... its definitely worth it in terms of noise/power reduction. Its just finding 100% stability is a tedious process. And even when you think you have it down (no crashes after hours of stress tests and games...) you might still get that BSOD or game crash which makes you think: Do I go back and re-tweak the UV some more? Was the crash because of the UV or was it something else? (enough to make you grab the PS controller and play sofa games sometimes!)

Associate
OP
Does sound like a bit of a pain in the rear, that's why I posted really, wondering if there was a lazy way to do it or if any FE owners had achieved fully stable UV's. But like ScottiB says every card is different so I guess it's the luck of the draw with regards to stability aswell

Soldato
Does sound like a bit of a pain in the rear, that's why I posted really, wondering if there was a lazy way to do it or if any FE owners had achieved fully stable UV's. But like ScottiB says every card is different so I guess it's the luck of the draw with regards to stability aswell

it maybe pain in the short term but long term imo its worth it , you can beat stock performance while lowering power and temps

Back
Top Bottom