Dealership Paint protection addons - worth it?

Man of Honour
This day and age other stuff seems to go way before the paint unless it was inferior quality to begin with and then not much will save it. I'd rather put the money into a decent chassis treatment down the line (not undercoat) - though it probably contributes less to residuals in the interim term than if more noticeable surfaces are starting to get a bit tatty.

It feels like forever that dealers have been pedalling the likes of SupaGuard and Diamondbrite. The markup must be rediculous.

When I bought my Porsche I found that they had included such a protection within the basic price, by default. When I told the salesman to remove it (@ £500!), he proceeded to argue with me that it would be as good as the quality of work and products that my own detailer could provide. I actually think he really believed what he was telling me. Bizarre.

I've been sitting there in the showroom before when one of the sales guy was trying to push stuff like this on a customer and genuinely upset when they walked away and I was thinking was he really surprised they were turned off by that much BSing or did he really believe it.

Soldato
I just tell them straight, right from the off that I'm happy to buy the car but don't want the hard sell of the extras that I dont want, I just want the car and thats it and they always seem happy enough to stick to just that.

Soldato
My dad had it done on his Avensis when he bought it. I think it was a year or so old when he got it from a fairly well regarded independent.

It may well have been massively overpriced (I think he paid around £250 in the end) but 4 years later having done nothing but wash it and occasionally applying a mist of drying aid product to the car it still looks like new. I recently bought him an SIO2 based product to top up the coating, again a mist on wipe off type as he's getting on a bit so his days of buffing and rubbing are long gone :p

He would never have taken his car to a 'detailer' to get it done and the alternative would have been him nearly killing himself applying something like Colour Magic and then not sealing it afterwards thinking he is doing a good thing. So for him, all things considered, I think it was a good purchase.

So, in short if it is a choice between getting the dealer coating or doing nothing it is probably worth it. If you are happy prepping and protecting your paint yourself then definitely not.

Man of Honour
Strange as every salesperson I have spoken to for around 15 years has never once got upset when we've rejected 'stuff like this'....

Wasn't just rejecting it, after the salesman had pushed a few add-ons like that and BS'd them up each time the customer eventually said forget it and walked out (from my perception it seemed like a done deal up until that point). Salesman genuinely seemed upset about it when talking to his colleague afterwards and left me wondering if he truly believed what he was peddling or was actually surprised the customer was put off by that much BS.

Soldato
To echo others, definitely not worth it from the dealer. I treated the interior myself (I have small children who like to spill things...) with a couple of cans of Scotchgard from Amazon - total cost ~£20 and an hour of my time. If you want the paintwork done, get it done properly by a detailer, it won't cost much more and will be an infinitely better job.

The fact they can so easily "throw it in free" to sweeten the deal should ring alarm bells for a start!

Man of Honour
I guess the issue is, the salesmen probably make as much commission off these addons as they do the actual car, so what for the customer is a trivial addon barely worth discussing is for them just as important as the bit we care about.
I have a friend who used to be a VW salesman, where we bought my wife's first car and he said the commission on most of the small cars were tiny and he tried pitching finance even though he knew we weren't interested. And that was from a mate.

Fast forward 6 years and at a SEAT dealer it was painful going through all this paint protection, Smart repairs, GAP insurance bla bla bla I said I'm not interested in anything that costs money, but they give it the "we are obligated to to discuss this with you" spiel so it wastes another half an hour in the showroom going through the endless stream of nonsense add-ons.

As someone mentioned, on occasion they even get a bit wound up / incredulous at people rejecting their offers, I don't know if that is all part of the sales psychology but personally I don't feel as a customer I should have to justify myself, or explain what I would do if problem XYZ occurs - that's my problem. Vehicle gets written off for less than I paid? No problem, I'll just buy another car, as I don't want your finance to begin with. They also don't seem to take "you are are wasting your time, I'm not going to sign up to anything, you are better off getting this deal over the line so you can move on to your next customer who might be interested" at face value.

The worry is, some people just can't handle the sales process and get suckered in, my wife would sign up to all sorts of rubbish if left to handle it alone. Just before we got together, she bought a laptop from a high street chain for about £800, with a £500 warranty package on top! It's like they just need someone to tell them something is of benefit, or protects them from something, and they are falling over themselves to hand over cash (or rather signup to more finance).

Last edited:
Soldato
My ceramic coat is on year 2 and still as good as they day I applied it. Water still beards up on it and washing the car is a doddle with no need for wax, I Just top it up with Gyeon Wet Coat every other wash.
See that's just funny.
You don't do anything EXCEPT top it up every other wash.
That's all I do with my non coated car. So how do you know the original coating is still there?
Your basically sealing your car every wash anyway. So don't bother with the coating.

Last edited:
Associate
See that's just funny.
You don't do anything EXCEPT top it up every other wash.
That's all I do with my non coated car. So how do you know the original coating is still there?
Your basically sealing your car every wash anyway. So don't bother with the coating.

Easy to tell from the feel of the paint, and because I was the wifes car at the same time and put wet coat on hers also every other wash even though it is not ceramic coated and you can tell the difference by a mile. Wet coat is literally spray once on each panel and jet was off immediately.

Until you have a cars paint ceramic coated you will not understand how good it is, you can dump your wax and polishes as you do not need them at all.

Caporegime
Easy to tell from the feel of the paint, and because I was the wifes car at the same time and put wet coat on hers also every other wash even though it is not ceramic coated and you can tell the difference by a mile. Wet coat is literally spray once on each panel and jet was off immediately.

Until you have a cars paint ceramic coated you will not understand how good it is, you can dump your wax and polishes as you do not need them at all.

This. Once you have taken your car to a proper detailer and they have corrected all the atrocious paintwork from the manufacturer and then put a ceramic coat on it, you never look back.

Main dealer crud they offer with some spotty 16 year old who doesnt care applying it with a dirty rag does not show you what a proper cermaic coating job can do.

Associate
As said it is just a money maker for the salesman, spend the money on paint correction and proper ceramic coating. Remember always tell the dealers never wash the car when in for service as well.
This. The same kits the dealer uses are available on ebay for about £20-£25 but, as most have said, they are not worth it.

I always ensure my car is immaculately cleaned before handing it over to the stealer for a "service". I always make sure I tell the service team to not wash it, and I also hand a "DO NOT WASH" sign inside the car too. So far its worked.

@Finglonga - which coating did you get on your car? also - wet coat is my go to for short term sealing :)

Back
Top Bottom