Time for a new graphics card

Associate
Hi all

Need some graphics card advice please.

Currently running a Ryzen 3400G in a Aorus B450i Pro Mini ITX board, and using the integrated Vega graphics. My build had always been done with the intention that I would add a dedicated graphics card eventually (and after that would look at bumping the processor up to something with more grunt). The time has come for me to push the button on the graphics card.

I've got a budget of about £250 to spend, and ideally, I need to drive 4 1080p monitors from the card. Part of the reason for wanting to get a card is that the B450i can only drive 3 screens and I want to add a 4th display without resorting to DisplayLink etc.

Any and all suggestions appreciated, especially given the distinct lack of graphics cards available at the moment thanks to the chip shortage and bitcoin miners.

Thanks
Chris

Associate
OP
Unfortunately it will be a long wait, fortunately you have an APU so can wait it out.
Exactly - it's not a critical need at the moment (the 3400G happily drives three monitors comfortably), but I'm in the position where I can start thinking about my next round of upgrades having set aside money to fund them. Doesn't have to be today, but would be good to get an idea of what my options are once products start flowing back into the supply chain. Doesn't necessarily need to be this year TBH (and at this rate I can see it being a 2022 project).

Soldato
Pre price gouging, new for 250, you'd have been looking at a 1660 super or 1660ti.
If things went back to "normal" tomorrow, you might be able to up that to a 2060.
But you will likely be waiting until 2022, maybe even q3 or q4 for normality to return to new products. So who knows what will be available then, 3060ti,4060 etc.

Might get lucky though, crypto crashes, nvidia lhr cards might make an impact and drive non mining capable gpus down to more normal pricing (50% of current 300% msrp, so "only" 150% of msrp, then it would match the current gpus for ROI from mining). If that happens, then some of the older cards may drop too.

Maybe amds new lower end sku might be cheap enough if it's hash rate is low enough /you can get one at msrp

Soldato
Definitely not going used - would rather wait (which I'm going to have to do either way given the shortage) until new stock is in the market and not selling for stupid money.

You're in for a long wait. I ordered a 3080 from OcUK on launch day, and had I not bailed out of the queue I'd still be waiting for a card nearly 9 months later...

It's either secondhand cards at strong prices, or slow new cards at strong prices.

Back
Top Bottom