LG c9 OLED

Soldato
Watching army of the dead last night in DV on my C9 white pixels started appearing in the center of the screen these would then disappear and then come back in the same position. The strange thing is that the area didn't have to be bright around them for the pixel to go white.

This was through the on board app also tried through the Apple TV and same thing, however switching to different content and the pixels seemed to behave. So I stopped watching and went to bed (knowing that the TV refreshes the pixels in standby)

Today I tried the same content on my B7 to check it wasn't "in" the content and no white pixels, so tried an area of the movie on the C9 where I noticed it for about 10 minutes and it now seems to be fine...

Anyone else had this issue? also I'm in the process of booking in for a screen replacement anyway for a handful of dead pixels elsewhere on the screen.

Soldato
Watching army of the dead last night in DV on my C9 white pixels started appearing in the center of the screen these would then disappear and then come back in the same position. The strange thing is that the area didn't have to be bright around them for the pixel to go white.

This was through the on board app also tried through the Apple TV and same thing, however switching to different content and the pixels seemed to behave. So I stopped watching and went to bed (knowing that the TV refreshes the pixels in standby)

Today I tried the same content on my B7 to check it wasn't "in" the content and no white pixels, so tried an area of the movie on the C9 where I noticed it for about 10 minutes and it now seems to be fine...

Anyone else had this issue? also I'm in the process of booking in for a screen replacement anyway for a handful of dead pixels elsewhere on the screen.

I didn't when watching it, then saw this posted on Reddit:

Odd question but did anyone else notice a white pixel-type thing on screen that starts around 1:13:10 and that lasts for the rest of the scene? It seems to only be on shots dominantly featuring Garrett Dillahunt’s character. Very strange.

Went back to have a look after seeing your post, and it's deffo there. Must have been a fault with one of their cameras..?

Soldato
I didn't when watching it, then saw this posted on Reddit:

Odd question but did anyone else notice a white pixel-type thing on screen that starts around 1:13:10 and that lasts for the rest of the scene? It seems to only be on shots dominantly featuring Garrett Dillahunt’s character. Very strange.

Went back to have a look after seeing your post, and it's deffo there. Must have been a fault with one of their cameras..?

Odd, I couldn't replicate it again this morning, there were about 3 pixels one just north of center screen then the other two to the left of center, very distracting. I'll see if I can get it to happen again then potato record it.

Associate
Odd, I couldn't replicate it again this morning, there were about 3 pixels one just north of center screen then the other two to the left of center, very distracting. I'll see if I can get it to happen again then potato record it.

I own a GX and I can confirm I had two white pixels (just left of centre screen) during this same period. I cannot replicate them with any other content so I’m happy it’s not the tv. One of the dots was made up of more than 1 pixel too, probably a cluster of 10 at least.

Soldato
Someone else on reddit commented it may be an anti piracy method...each viewer has it's own set of white dots so they can track who pirates it....??? Maybe. Not convinced.

Me neither, I watched the rest of it last night and it seems like it was one of the cameras had a fault and it was completely missed in post, the end scene has a few different shots and every time Dave was cut too his nose had a white head spot on it.

If indeed it's netflix's new anti piracy system that's an unsub from me.

Soldato
Someone else on reddit commented it may be an anti piracy method...each viewer has it's own set of white dots so they can track who pirates it....??? Maybe. Not convinced.

From a content encoding, resource and bandwidth perspective that'd be pretty hard to achieve. It's likely to do with some poor calculations on the colour values causing bad data.

Associate
I'm looking to upgrade my display. Currently using a 55" Panasonic Plasma, I've been waiting for OLEDs to come down in price since I have become accustomed to the awesome picture quality, motion, and black levels of plasma. I just couldn't put up with anything LED or LCD, even with the multi-zone FALD technology they look crap to me.

So a friend recommended the LG CX series. How do they compare to the C9 series? Is there any other range of OLEDs I should be considering for 4k120 gaming?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm looking to upgrade my display. Currently using a 55" Panasonic Plasma, I've been waiting for OLEDs to come down in price since I have become accustomed to the awesome picture quality, motion, and black levels of plasma. I just couldn't put up with anything LED or LCD, even with the multi-zone FALD technology they look crap to me.

So a friend recommended the LG C9 series. Are they still one of the best options around? Or are there other displays available now that would be better?

Buying now might as well get a CX or C1. 55" CX can be had for £1050 with 5yr warranty.

Soldato

So a friend recommended the LG CX series. How do they compare to the C9 series? Is there any other range of OLEDs I should be considering for 4k120 gaming?

As above really, at this point grab whatever you can brand new if it comes with a warranty, which at this point would be the CX, unless you snag a nice bargain on a C9 or something. As it stands, LG OLEDs are king of gaming really as they have the full suite. full 120hz @4k, G-sync compatibility, Forum VRR / Free Sync premium (something the C9 does not have), ALLM, HDR and now they even support Dolby vision gaming (though not any games out AFAIK using it)

Oddly there are some perks to the C9 that the CX and C1 lose, notably DTS audio format support, both native and as passthrough, but on the whole, warranty + some minor refinements mean C1 or CX way to go.

Soldato

If you use your TV for, well, TV, bear in mind that the 2020 LGs (CX, GX, BX etc) don't have the full suite of UK catch-up TV apps.

Soldato
Soldato
Soldato
Decent update as I have noticed black flickering at times. Still have no intentions of moving on from the C9 it’s still a great tv and nice to see LG continuing support.

Back
Top Bottom