Being asked to pay for services of landscaper up front

Caporegime
Yes, the materials are sitting at home all ready to go. Had a word with the company yesterday and they are looking into the invoice date/ VAT requirements.

If they are only registering for Vat now. They must be new in the game.

How long have they been trading for?

Personally I'd want someone with lots and lots of experience. Decades personally rather than 4 months which is what this scenario sounds like. Otherwise why didn't they register for vat 10 years ago?

Soldato
Very good point.

Shouldn't it also be the case that the builder wasn't able to reclaim the VAT on materials previously, but now can, so that should offset some of the additional VAT he's having to charge.

Eg.

Pre-VAT:
Materials - 5k
Labour - 5k

OP pays 10k.
Builder makes 5k.

Post-VAT:
Materials - 4.2k + 0.8k VAT (rounded)
Labour - 5k + 1k VAT.

OP pays 11k.
Builder makes 5.8k by claiming VAT back on materials.

The 1k vat he charged / collected on labour is not his.

EDIT: just seen you didn’t include it lol, my bad

Associate
Personally I'd want someone with lots and lots of experience. Decades personally rather than 4 months which is what this scenario sounds like.

This policy stops any new traders from coming up, though. If we only employ companies who've been around for years we lose the enterprise of the individual and create conglomerates while destroying those who want to work for themselves.

Caporegime
This policy stops any new traders from coming up, though. If we only employ companies who've been around for years we lose the enterprise of the individual and create conglomerates while destroying those who want to work for themselves.

Would you really risk your home, savings on a start up enterprise?

They have their time and place. You want someone well reviewed, experienced and not someone who is going to make mistakes, take twice as long and potentially have the work falling apart in a few years after they have taken the money and ran.

It's about minimising risk.

If an enterprising start up wants my business then give me a deal I cannot refuse. Be substantially cheaper after all your building a reputation if you're in it for the long haul.

Associate
Would you really risk your home, savings on a start up enterprise?

They have their time and place. You want someone well reviewed, experienced and not someone who is going to make mistakes, take twice as long and potentially have the work falling apart in a few years after they have taken the money and ran.

It's about minimising risk.

If an enterprising start up wants my business then give me a deal I cannot refuse. Be substantially cheaper after all your building a reputation if you're in it for the long haul.

What you've just said is totally contradictory. You don't minimise risk by choosing the lowest quote possible - you're simply asking for the contractor to cut corners.

Caporegime
Just because it's a big company doesn't mean the employees are highly skilled...., the most motivated and hardworking will want to work for themselves

Associate
OP
I think one of the issues is that the company has being around for a long time, but he did tell me that over the past year he had taken on new staff to create another project team to expand how many jobs they could do. I would imagine this increased revenue and hence VAT registration required.

Caporegime
I think one of the issues is that the company has being around for a long time, but he did tell me that over the past year he had taken on new staff to create another project team to expand how many jobs they could do. I would imagine this increased revenue and hence VAT registration required.

He's a experienced builder who's turnover has only just went over £80k? Pull the other one.

Doing 3-4 tiny extensions would put him over the threshold. Does it take him 6 months to do a garage conversion?

Soldato
exactly this. flea hasn't done anything wrong it's up to the builder to charge and collect VAT not him.

Oh come off it, you'd have to be an absolute idiot to not realise the builder wasn't putting it through the books so you could save a few quid.

This is why i'll be glad when a cashless society exists, it means people like that will have to make an honest living like the rest of us.

Caporegime
Oh come off it, you'd have to be an absolute idiot to not realise the builder wasn't putting it through the books so you could save a few quid.

This is why i'll be glad when a cashless society exists, it means people like that will have to make an honest living like the rest of us.

So what? It's not his responsibility. It's the traders responsibility. It's him that is vat registered.

Flea technically hasn't done anything wrong. You can't take him to court. It's the trader who has done wrong here and he could be done for tax evasion not flea.

Soldato
So what? It's not his responsibility. It's the traders responsibility. It's him that is vat registered.

Flea technically hasn't done anything wrong. You can't take him to court. It's the trader who has done wrong here and he could be done for tax evasion not flea.

He specifically asked for a 'cash price' he knew exactly what he was doing.

Back
Top Bottom