What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Anyone have recommendations for some white woodwork paint for skirting/architrave? Need to crack on with our hall stairs and landing before new flooring arrives
There is a thread on here regarding gloss if thats what you're after? Leyland water based came out top. I wouldn't think anything more than ceiling paint is required for the architrave though?

Soldato
Dang they are some big cracks! Hopefully they don't come back. I've never seen a window in a wardrobe before but I like it! I've never used that filer but may well have to give it a go, I see it recommended a lot on here. I am a toupret man normally.

Yeah the cracks id chases out a little with a Stanley so the filler had something to adhere to. The one by the window I think was movement, the one by the corner of the door a lot of plaster fell out / it hadn't bonded well.

I was impressed with how tidy I got around the window below!

I rate that filler for small cracks etc. Otherwise use polyfill etc as a "first coat" to fill a wallplug hole etc.

Anyone have recommendations for some white woodwork paint for skirting/architrave? Need to crack on with our hall stairs and landing before new flooring arrives

Bedec Aqua Advanced Satin Paint - can get from toolstation.

For what it's worth, id recommend a water based gloss like this one as it means it won't yellow in a couple years like oil ones. This satin gloss is easy to apply and finishes well. See my pics above or this below (all the skirting, the window, the architrave done with this)

C4p1jKr.jpg

Soldato
Looks like a cracking place to live @Buffman
Plenty of space to grow into. Interesting that the walk in is heated and has a window.

Well you say heated.... It has a radiator but it's not connected /heating (no idea why the previous owners did that but they bodged loads) - it's on the list for the plumber to sort. I tried unscrewing it to paint behind it but there was water coming it so possibly the lockshields? (I've never done much plumbing..)

I'm also not sure about the microbore pipework to it. Might get it replaced along with a lot of other points of microbore pipework across the house.

Soldato
Finally changed the last 5 wooden fence panels with plastic - Been at it since start of first lock down -I think it's 20 panels all told.

Wish I had bought the lot first time round - they have gone up 75%.- These are Walnut but they will fade to a much ligher brown.

I was also hindered by wonder boy next door (gone now) who had these posts out to put gravel boards in so he could pave his path - he was a jack of all trades but master of none -One post was half inch off verticle and few of gravel boards were not level.

JARKuYC.jpg

Associate

Get a fill loop with an iso valve either side.
Put the check valve on the cold mains side as well, it's there to prevent back flow into the cold mains so it's not much use on the heating side. Also means you can use the iso on the heating side to drain the system/boiler.

You don't need to drain the entire system, once the pressure is off it'll hold a vacuum long enough to swap the valve over.

If you're having to top up regularly then check the expansion vessel precharge while there's no pressure in the system, if it needs filling then make sure there's a drain open while you're pumping it up.

Soldato
Yeah the cracks id chases out a little with a Stanley so the filler had something to adhere to. The one by the window I think was movement, the one by the corner of the door a lot of plaster fell out / it hadn't bonded well.

I was impressed with how tidy I got around the window below!

I rate that filler for small cracks etc. Otherwise use polyfill etc as a "first coat" to fill a wallplug hole etc.

Bedec Aqua Advanced Satin Paint - can get from toolstation.

For what it's worth, id recommend a water based gloss like this one as it means it won't yellow in a couple years like oil ones. This satin gloss is easy to apply and finishes well. See my pics above or this below (all the skirting, the window, the architrave done with this)

C4p1jKr.jpg
That's a bedroom in London :cry:.

Soldato
Get a fill loop with an iso valve either side.
Put the check valve on the cold mains side as well, it's there to prevent back flow into the cold mains so it's not much use on the heating side. Also means you can use the iso on the heating side to drain the system/boiler.

You don't need to drain the entire system, once the pressure is off it'll hold a vacuum long enough to swap the valve over.

If you're having to top up regularly then check the expansion vessel precharge while there's no pressure in the system, if it needs filling then make sure there's a drain open while you're pumping it up.

Yeah I've been having a read, regulation says double check valve should be on the cold water side, but a lot are put on the boiler side. I've bought a couple of the Pegler full bore valves as apparently they're a bit more reliable than the smaller restricted ones.

That's good that I don't have to drain the whole system, that would've been a pain. I assume that will be the same with having to change a radiator valve? as one of them has started to leak on barely touching it. (Obv have to drain the water in the radiator itself). I'll also use the opportunity to put in inhibitor. I'm off tomorrow, so will be doing it then, hopefully don't run into any major problems!

Soldato
Internet and phone have been down all day so climbed up the scaffold and opened up the BT connector block

IMG-20210524-190007.jpg

It was full of water so drained it out and unwound the cables

IMG-20210524-185711.jpg

Dried them off and wound them back up again

IMG-20210524-185818.jpg

Full interwebs and phone connectivity resumed :D

Soldato
Internet and phone have been down all day so climbed up the scaffold and opened up the BT connector block

IMG-20210524-190007.jpg

It was full of water so drained it out and unwound the cables

IMG-20210524-185711.jpg

Dried them off and wound them back up again

IMG-20210524-185818.jpg

Full interwebs and phone connectivity resumed :D
Do you have an external pole then? I've found during periods of heavy rain my phone crackles, but as I've FTTH my Internet is fine so that's the more important thing:cry:.

Soldato
Do you have an external pole then? I've found during periods of heavy rain my phone crackles, but as I've FTTH my Internet is fine so that's the more important thing:cry:.

Yeah, we have a pole in the garden with BT, our and next doors electrical main on .... Our voice is via our internet (Sky) so it's both or neither :eek: not that the landline gets used much.

I'm hoping the pole go eventually. Scottish power (our DNO) are moving both electrical cables underground next month as they are "close" to our extension

IMG-20210524-190537.jpg

IMG-20210524-190656.jpg

:D

BT have piggy backed into their pole and want to retain it (and adopt the pole) but I'm pushing for it to be moved over the boundary of our property onto teh adjacent verge

Soldato
hired a floor and edge sander and took the varnish off the parquet floor, was completely ruined and a dark horrid colour. Nearly killed me doing the whole lot in one day.

Managed to give it one coat of clear silk matt finish, hopefully will dry by this evening then can give another coat before bed and then another one or two tomorrow. 4rY7jjO.jpg PTmprFD.jpg FO3NHYf.jpg

Associate
gqmLe1i_d.webp

Started to build a shed.
Base 1 day, block work 1 day, front and back frames a day, then roof timbers 1 day including lifting the panels into place and bolting them down.
Frame is 3x2, tyvec skinned, then shiplap and painted. 100mm insulation in between and some left over weed control frantic stapled in the front. Roof is 6x2
Will carry on tomorrow, hopefully.

Soldato
Nice !! :D

Taking advantage of a few days of sun and fry weather and oiling / treating the cedar paneling on our dormers

IMG-20210530-090102.jpg

Definately looks better even after one coat

IMG-20210530-092349.jpg

Mid way through a coat

IMG-20210530-093753.jpg

Two dormers done

IMG-20210530-095051.jpg

Due to the position of the shed I had to improvise to get the far right section of the right hand dormer ....

IMG-20210530-100941.jpg

:D

Off for a walk (and maybe a few pints) and will do another coat or two

dod

dod

Soldato
Finished tiling ensuite, did grass, hate that job, tidied sheds, removed a water butt.
Made up a list of jobs/wish list that will need doing over the next few months.

Back
Top Bottom