Have your stopped talking to people due to political opinions?

Permabanned
OP
there is being racist and then someone just opting to call you a racist as they can't discuss it further though, cry racism and they might run away kind of thing and what have you and so forth.

V F

V F

Soldato
People always ask me if I believe in God, then get extremely offended, yell at and preach to me all day when I answer no.

Then people think I'm broken for actually enjoying living alone with no more friends / family / social contacts.

People are cancer. Also Trump is my God now.

No they aren't. A lot are yes but there is a lot of good people out there.

Man of Honour
Dunno about stopped talking to, but I've changed the topic or gone a bit quiet with taxi drivers before when they start going off on one. One seemed super keen on telling me how the Qu 'Oran states WWIII will start in Syria.

Soldato
No..

I’ve got a few of friends that got very political over Brexit and BoJo (seething hatred) and they’ve blocked/unfriended/stopped talking to numerous people in our group, and in fact anecdotally for my friends it seems all the left wingers / wokies are the only ones doing the cancelling.

Work is weird since you can’t block people and do you know what? Despite having trump supporters, dinosaur deniers, NRA lovers (US Office) and every political spectrum represented in the uk, people have to tolerate each other and we seem to make it work, the culture of listening, understanding, gently questioning but accepting other people are entitled to their opinions without thinking/treating them as idiots is great, it helps all of us ground ourselves and question the inevitable stereotypes that exist.

we even have someone full on anti UK who loves Putin and is trying to ditch their UK nationality for their second EU nationality (you can imagine the conversations) but we still respect each other’s viewpoints and have massive professional respect for each other. The surprising thing to most people is realising that despite how you vote, people are not generally brainwashed idiots and they have reasons for their voting choice that are understandable.

Soldato
It's the same dross decade upon decade that's now worse due to 24hr 7 days a week "Breaking News" being spammed to everyone,. there's no refuge from it. Nothing changes, it just goes from one fiasco to the next therefore I don't care for politics or people whose only line of conversation revolves around it. I don't follow the news at all, I just get stuff 3rd hand and pay little notice to it.

The mainstream 'news' as in your BBC TV bulletins is completely overrated and overstated anyway. If you actually look at what specific stories relate to you and have an impact on your life they are few and far between. They mostly just focus on negative things.

I much prefer to look at my Google news feed now as you can tailor that to your interests.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
although the mental gymnastics can be quite entertaining, listening to a friend who is a teacher justifying her love of all things Tory even when Gove was education secretary was delightful!

Speaking as a teacher, some of the things Gove did were both useful and necessary. Others, not so much!

Man of Honour
Remember the Winnie the Poo and Piglet cartoons that have been kicking around after recent elections? That's me and one of my best buddies. We have very different political views, we both know we're never going to change the other person but it certainly hasn't stopped us talking.
Much the same. I’ve a WhatsApp group with my closest friends, the lads I grew up with, around 12 of us. Mixture of political views and some card carrying Labour Party members and former councillors and some Conservative voters. We never argue, we just listen and debate and laugh because we are mates and have balance. The internet is faceless.

Caporegime
Much the same. I’ve a WhatsApp group with my closest friends, the lads I grew up with, around 12 of us. Mixture of political views and some card carrying Labour Party members and former councillors and some Conservative voters. We never argue, we just listen and debate and laugh because we are mates and have balance. The internet is faceless.

Same deal. One guy still convinced that corbyn is the messiah, bless him.
The only guy that's on thin ice and facing being kicked out though is the one that 'found god' and has since become the most insufferable person imaginable.

Man of Honour
The only guy that's on thin ice and facing being kicked out though is the one that 'found god' and has since become the most insufferable person imaginable.
Our age ranges are 51 to 55 so a different generation to most on here and the most vocal parts of the internet. We have passion, but realise that mates, the ones you have grown up laughed and cried with are far far more important than anything peripheral to that. I don’t think that is as common as I thought, I see so many people who have friends from work or later in life, but not so many with a large group of friends from their mid teens (at my age now) who still message everyday. Political is transitory and like life, it is always much the same year on year as a whole no matter who is at the tiller.

Soldato

Ah, so you found God on Dec23 2011 :p

Caporegime
Our age ranges are 51 to 55 so a different generation to most on here and the most vocal parts of the internet. We have passion, but realise that mates, the ones you have grown up laughed and cried with are far far more important than anything peripheral to that. I don’t think that is as common as I thought, I see so many people who have friends from work or later in life, but not so many with a large group of friends from their mid teens (at my age now) who still message everyday. Political is transitory and like life, it is always much the same year on year as a whole no matter who is at the tiller.

35 to 59 for us so really a couple of generations but weirdly no clear generational divides.
Big differences in wealth, socio-economic backgrounds and education but again, not a set pattern to political leanings.
We got together out of shared interests though which may well help with explaining why we're still hanging around with one another after nearly 20 years.

Man of Honour
35 to 59 for us so really a couple of generations but weirdly no clear generational divides.
Big differences in wealth, socio-economic backgrounds and education but again, not a set pattern to political leanings.
We got together out of shared interests though which may well help with explaining why we're still hanging around with one another after nearly 20 years.
We are all working class lads end to end, no wealthy upbringings, no silver spoons, some went to university and some didn’t but all down to earth. Some known each other from junior school, some from 15 years old forwards. We have all done different things, some live abroad now but still the same banter, same nicknames, same jokes usually at our own expense. But friends from our teen years to today and no real new entires in the last 30 years.

Back
Top Bottom