*** Eurovision 2021 ***

Soldato
UK haven't moved from the right side of the score board, nor much higher than the bottom of it for many years, so low scoring for us was even before Brexit was a thing.

The song and performer this year was rubbish, but I do still think there's something political or otherwise that Europe dislikes about the UK. But as suggested in the thread, if we could get an outrageous, quirky or eccentric performer in the classic style of Eurovision, something that really grabs the viewers attention, we might actually score some points.

On the other hand, UK has always been and still is the pioneer of 'proper' pop music. Outside of Eurovision, all these countries buy records from UK and US artists. Who knows of many pop stars outside UK and US apart from Abba? In other words, we're better than Eurovision, and Eurovision is all these other countries have to show off their talent which is usually forgotten about not long after, much like x factor winners that no-one can remember either.
If you look back to the last time we were relatively successful the 90’s the songs and artists we were putting in were noticeably better. We are really scraping the barrel these days with some terrible songs and dire performances.

Soldato
Its not a serious music competition and has never pretended to be one either so I’m not sure why we are getting so excited? It’s just become political euro nonsense to highlight those countries that would never ordinarily be taken seriously on the worlds musical stage.

Soldato
If you look back to the last time we were relatively successful the 90’s the songs and artists we were putting in were noticeably better. We are really scraping the barrel these days with some terrible songs and dire performances.

I don't think any British career singers want to do it. They have asked but they say no.

Our guy this year is primarily a song writer, not singer.

Soldato
Its not a serious music competition and has never pretended to be one either so I’m not sure why we are getting so excited?

I think this is part of the problem. We keep taking it seriously and it's very clear most of the other countries have a far more casual approach and a sense of humour (eg Iceland, Lithuania) about it!

We should just accept we're not going to win anytime in the near future and start going with more interesting offbeat acts. Maybe an upcoming grime artist, a bagpipe band, a West county Gothic rock act, a sea shanty song, etc

We keep going with drab cheesy 90s style pop songs when it's clear the public and judges are bored of them.

As an aside I'm pleased to see the more preachy virtue signalling songs like Germany's "don't hate" and Malta's feminist tune being given a cold shoulder by the public vote as well!

Last edited:
Soldato
Its not a serious music competition and has never pretended to be one either ...

not any more, it should be consigned to history like Miss World ...
I suspect it is a cheap nights broadcast for the BBC, but maybe the viewing figures reflect that - are they bothered.

Soldato
not any more, it should be consigned to history like Miss World ...
I suspect it is a cheap nights broadcast for the BBC, but maybe the viewing figures reflect that - are they bothered.
Got 7.4 million viewers for the BBC last night nearly 50% of people watching TV at that time. It's one of their biggest ratings hits each year.

So they get the viewers regardless of our result really. Cos no one watching last night could honestly have thought we'd win with that artist/song.

Soldato
Amanda Holden building her part was completely unnecessary, the only acceptable build your part from the judges was the Icelandic fella who referenced the Eurovision movie, and indeed did it wittily.

Soldato
Got 7.4 million viewers for the BBC last night nearly 50% of people watching TV at that time. It's one of their biggest ratings hits each year.

So they get the viewers regardless of our result really. Cos no one watching last night could honestly have thought we'd win with that artist/song.

Well people in the UK watch to laugh at the crap acts and for the commentary. Usually while quite drunk.

Soldato
I think the judges should be removed these days and just have the public voting.

I don't know why they need 2 sets of votes.

We know the judges seem to make it political. At least with the public voting in different countries it might be more representative of the viewers feelings.

Soldato
Michael Ball just made Big Nastie agree to do it next year with Ed Sheeran, we can't lose with that duo :cry:

I thought our song was pretty weak, maybe they had mic issues or something but he sounded pretty lacklustre. The public voting is crazy though, if that many points can come in at the end then just get rid of the country by country voting and go straight to the public.

Caporegime
They are slowly speeding it up with the silly going round the countries but only announcing the top scores. If they ditched the jury vote they could have a result a few minutes after the mines closed which would be a massive improvement for me!

For me at least the fun part is guessing who votes for who. Especially with corruption of the judges vote. It made me cringe every time when the hosts said "professional judges".

Also seeing the smile wiped off The Swiss and French bird was worth the split vote. It makes absolutely fantastic TV. Watching the nil point for UK had me in tears. Never did one person want to be 1000 miles away from where he was more than anyone on the planet at that moment in time!

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm now hearing the public voting system didn't work and loads of votes were "lost" lol. Came from the news in the Netherlands apparently. It's all so European.

Michael Ball just made Big Nastie agree to do it next year with Ed Sheeran, we can't lose with that duo :cry:

OMG I hope that is true. Comedy gold.

Soldato
Not a patch on the one they couldn't re-enter from last year. That was such a great pop song and it's a huge shame they missed their chance.

I only watched the last 20 minutes or so and the stretching-the-results-out-as-long-as-possible-ness got on my mammaries even in that period. And although I hate the winning "song", you have to salute a process which can have a live coke-snorting winner. Felt like we were watching a trailer for the next series of Gomorrah.
Youre right! Just watched it! I really hope the Iceland band continues, I love their songs as well as their sense of fun.

Back
Top Bottom