Have your stopped talking to people due to political opinions?

Soldato
We are all working class lads end to end, no wealthy upbringings, no silver spoons, some went to university and some didn’t but all down to earth. Some known each other from junior school, some from 15 years old forwards. We have all done different things, some live abroad now but still the same banter, same nicknames, same jokes usually at our own expense. But friends from our teen years to today and no real new entires in the last 30 years.

There’s an interesting topic, making long term, close friends seems to stop at a certain age for a lot of people.

Man of Honour
There’s an interesting topic, making long term, close friends seems to stop at a certain age for a lot of people.
Kids, they can come back after kids, but you also need to make the effort. WhatsApp and then 2-3 get togethers a year is all it takes for us, but others will be different. Surprisingly we have changed very little as people in 35+ years. We are all laid back lads, which is a big part of it and able to laugh at ourselves, which helps greatly.

Soldato
I haven't and wouldn't unless their opinion was blatantly racist or homophobic etc, but 2 or 3 people stopped talking to me around 2016 because I voted leave in Brexit lol.

Nothing of value was lost.

Caporegime
Yup. I never had kids so even harder when you get the “when are you 2 having yours”.

So far not many of my good friends have had kids despite being 30-40 most of them. But I've found it really hard making new ones down here in Wales. Harder than I thought

Soldato
So far not many of my good friends have had kids despite being 30-40 most of them. But I've found it really hard making new ones down here in Wales. Harder than I thought

I wonder if it’s because people get stuck in the ways/routines as they get older? It means they’re less likely to be looking for friends? I wonder if this changes as people move into old age.

Caporegime
I wonder if it’s because people get stuck in the ways/routines as they get older? It means they’re less likely to be looking for friends? I wonder if this changes as people move into old age.

I think so. Only luck I've had is people looking to do sports like paddle sports, biking. Everyone else is either looking to date or just doesn't turn up.

Gf has tried making groups and even people who want to do it bail at the last minute. Here I'm talking about general social stuff

Last edited:
Associate
No one will date or be my friend because I'm a black right winger.

Then again every liberal white person makes me sick always treating me like their pet and talking to me in their baby special voice. Non whites think I'm a coconut.

I realized that the only thing that makes this world suck is the people in it, and removing all connections with everyone was my liberation.

I'm not entirely sure why other right wingers keep on telling me to go back home though when I'm already at home? They confuse me a lot.

Permabanned
OP
From the way you start your posts and go on it's more your attitude towards yourself and what you yourself feel others should be like and how they should treat you.
Put yourself in other peoples shoes and imagine having to deal with people who are like you? It's a bit exhausting and off putting huh?
Yeah when you are alone most of the time or stuck in a bubble of the same people it's hard to see how other people perceive you?

Associate
From the way you start your posts and go on it's more your attitude towards yourself and what you yourself feel others should be like and how they should treat you.
Put yourself in other peoples shoes and imagine having to deal with people who are like you? It's a bit exhausting and off putting huh?
Yeah when you are alone most of the time or stuck in a bubble of the same people it's hard to see how other people perceive you?

Yes I'm sure I talk IRL exactly as I type on forums, /s

Associate
People who have
So free speech is the right to say what you like when ever you like without any repercussions? How odd.

People don't have to like what someone says. If they don't they can maybe stop watching / listening to them?

Instead we now have to completely destroy peoples lives because they say something slightly politically incorrect.

Theres a difference between abusing someone, and writing your own opinions on a blog.

Soldato
Same deal. One guy still convinced that corbyn is the messiah, bless him.
The only guy that's on thin ice and facing being kicked out though is the one that 'found god' and has since become the most insufferable person imaginable.
I have a friend like that who is mad for Corbyn and Bernie Sanders. Her ideas come from a place of kindness, so I completely appreciate why she would hold those views. I just think she's idealistic and unrealistic given how crappy so many humans can be but there you go.

Life would be boring if we all thought the same way - shame that attitude is going out the window these days and some think you must comply or face the mob.

V F

V F

Soldato
People who have

People don't have to like what someone says. If they don't they can maybe stop watching / listening to them?

Instead we now have to completely destroy peoples lives because they say something slightly politically incorrect.

Theres a difference between abusing someone, and writing your own opinions on a blog.

Now they try to cancel you for having your own opinions on a blog. What happened to the days when somebody didn't like something, they rolled their eyes and moved on?

Soldato
It's only odd to you because you clearly have not looked up the definition of free speech.

So let’s be clear you are saying that it is ok for someone to say anything they like without repercussions because that is what freedom of speech means? So it is ok to slander someone because you are just using your right to free speech and it doesn’t matter if it is a load of made up nonsense? You believe it is ok for a teacher to tell all their pupils to vote Labour because they don’t like the Conservative party because hey they have the right to free speech? Maybe it’s fine for me as a juror to talk about a case currently going through the courts because hey I have the right to free speech who cares if it prejudices a trial...

Freedom of speech is a basic right but the idea that that should come with freedom from the consequences of what you say is bonkers and certainly has not been the case in this country for a very long time if ever.

V F

V F

Soldato
So let’s be clear you are saying that it is ok for someone to say anything they like without repercussions because that is what freedom of speech means? So it is ok to slander someone because you are just using your right to free speech and it doesn’t matter if it is a load of made up nonsense? You believe it is ok for a teacher to tell all their pupils to vote Labour because they don’t like the Conservative party because hey they have the right to free speech? Maybe it’s fine for me as a juror to talk about a case currently going through the courts because hey I have the right to free speech who cares if it prejudices a trial...

Freedom of speech is a basic right but the idea that that should come with freedom from the consequences of what you say is bonkers and certainly has not been the case in this country for a very long time if ever.

There's no consequences to the mainstream media/news what they do and hide behind "freedom of the press" for their actions. Considering all the fines they've had over decades for it.

Associate
Now they try to cancel you for having your own opinions on a blog. What happened to the days when somebody didn't like something, they rolled their eyes and moved on?

When I was at and finished uni, all my 'friends' convinced me to make a facebook profile so I did.

Shortly thereafter most of them unfriended me for all my political and religious opinions. And after that I found out my opinions could get me arrested so I deleted all such social media profiles.

Back
Top Bottom