Mercedes Benz and AMG Owners

Soldato
Ugh. Had my nearside front alloy repaired in December due to a crack. Got into the car today and had quite a loss of pressure in it again, so took it to Kwik fit and they've confirmed that the weld has cracked, on both the inside and the outside.

Don't recall hitting any potholes recently but must have done.

Question is, can it be repaired again? Or is it time for me to suck up the £900 its going to cost for a new alloy?
eBay?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Having had a set of Mercedes 19" alloys which repeatedly cracked over and over, usually over the same cracks again - i'd just replace the wheel - get a used one off eBay ensuring its never been repaired.

I actually ditched the alloys completely and "downgraded" to a stronger 18" design which put an end to the misery :p

Soldato
Yeah I've had a quick look. Bit wary as its on finance. Looks like I can get it repaired again, its not particularly obvious so hopefully they won't notice when it goes back!

Why would you be wary? How are they going to tell the difference between your old cracked alloy and an identical Mercedes alloy you've bought from eBay? I'd far rather that than to weld it again which:

a) is far more likely to be seen by a finance company when being inspected and them charge you the full £950 to replace it
b) it's not safe
c) it's not going to last 5 minutes

Last edited:
Soldato
A touch disappointed to see this 5 minutes after collecting my car from Mercedes Macclesfield where it had just had its annual service.

iFlzi6G.jpg

This has been one of my historical pet hates and has happened to me several times but this is first time I actually got a message. Usually I pull the dipstick to find it setting over the maximum level but this time I got a nice message....

To be fair the tolerances are really small here and when I did the standard electronic check it showed oil as OK, but a small smidge over and the sensor picked it up. So back it went, they dropped a smidge out and all is good. I will now top it up as and when and next time I told them add 1/2 litre less than Mercedes suggests and I will top it myself. I normally do that, but forgot.

It is probably called by not letting the car fully drain and that smidge of oil left in the sump sets off the sensor.....well that makes sense in my head. Annoying but fixed and the AMG mechanic came to speak in person and take me through the process, so not too annoyed...

How are the guys at MB Macc? Was going to be popping down there to look at C350s. Tired of financed cars so want to pick up for myself that's mine, but then will obviously be more on top of the jobs that will need doing.

Man of Honour
How are the guys at MB Macc? Was going to be popping down there to look at C350s. Tired of financed cars so want to pick up for myself that's mine, but then will obviously be more on top of the jobs that will need doing.
Well massively better than Stoke but no more than adequate would be my shout. I’ll use them again, but they done nothing that wows me.

Soldato
So, my Mercedes nightmare continues….

Just travelling down to London this evening, and i get

yuw8rJP.jpg

comes and goes, then car won’t go above 2.5k revs.

crawled down the M1 and the north circular to Ealing. Managed to not get squashed by an Artic!

will see what Merc say tmw. After it broke down on day 1, we agreed that anything else breaks and we’re done!

Associate
Mercedes Me app said coolant level was fine. It’s an overheating warning.

this happened on day 1 (brand new car). Was a faulty fan switch, car thought it was over heating but wasn’t

Sorry to hear you're still getting problem, I can imagine how frustrated you are :( Hopefully you can agree an outcome that makes you happy.

Dropped my car off this morning for its second service and replacement wheel centre caps (2 years on and they look a mess! Quite shocked at the state of them considering how it's cleaned and the cars done ~9600 miles). They are also looking at some other niggles, it developed an annoying squeak from the front at low speeds when the car is in sport mode or above. It sounds like it's coming from the front suspension area. I've also got an really intermittent hesitation that appears in comfort mode where I will approach something like a speedbump/roundabout, the car will drop from 3rd gear to 2nd at ~10mph and when I attempt to pull away I get a hesitation like it didn't actually put it into gear, it eventually sorts itself after what feels like 1-2 seconds (more likely ~1 second but it really doesn't feel responsive at the time). @Steedie have you experienced anything like that?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
You’ll never believe what I fancy next…

Peugeot 508SW, reviews say they’re really good. Will carry on reading up

or a Volvo wagon, new ones look nice
Volvo V60s are very nice and the T6 & T8 go like the clappers.
Not quite up to BMW standards though on the inside.

Soldato
Peugeot 508SW, reviews say they’re really good. Will carry on reading up
neigbour has a silver/gun metal 508 estate - I think you'd get bored with the over-detailed/sculpted front end, nice gearbox; arteon estate on the other hand (but dsg).
e: the 508 wheels with black paint hmmmh, too.

Man of Honour
Sorry to hear you're still getting problem, I can imagine how frustrated you are :( Hopefully you can agree an outcome that makes you happy.

Dropped my car off this morning for its second service and replacement wheel centre caps (2 years on and they look a mess! Quite shocked at the state of them considering how it's cleaned and the cars done ~9600 miles). They are also looking at some other niggles, it developed an annoying squeak from the front at low speeds when the car is in sport mode or above. It sounds like it's coming from the front suspension area. I've also got an really intermittent hesitation that appears in comfort mode where I will approach something like a speedbump/roundabout, the car will drop from 3rd gear to 2nd at ~10mph and when I attempt to pull away I get a hesitation like it didn't actually put it into gear, it eventually sorts itself after what feels like 1-2 seconds (more likely ~1 second but it really doesn't feel responsive at the time). @Steedie have you experienced anything like that?

I’ve not experienced that, no :( it’s not due to the adaptive throttle is it? Have you tried resetting that?

Associate
I’ve not experienced that, no :( it’s not due to the adaptive throttle is it? Have you tried resetting that?

Not too sure if I'm honest, I will have to have a read up on how to reset it for our cars. I've seen a few videos but they all seem to be older models. The garage claimed they couldn't replicate the squeaking and that the hesitation in comfort mode is "normal", they did say they checked for any logged fault codes but none were stored. I find that odd that they are claiming it's normal considering how intermittent it is but will see if resetting the adaptive throttle works. They also hadn't ordered in my replacement wheel centre caps, I was told they would order them in for today and I could pop in and they would fit them quickly for me whilst I waited. I didn't hear anything, finally called them late afternoon to be told they hadn't arrived. Slightly frustrated about the whole experience, hopefully once their policy changes I can go out on a road test with the technician and show them the noise etc.

Back
Top Bottom