iCloud Photos

Soldato
So I have (or had!) photos on my iPhone with iCloud backup/photos. Recently google photos advised that as all of the photos were in google photos it could clear a vast chunk of space from my phone...which is great - however when I check iCloud photos via web - they seem to be gone there too? I can’t see them in google photos either...slightly confused as I thought they’d remain in iCloud. Need to recheck google
Photos too.

Have I totally misunderstood how iCloud photos works?

Soldato
It's to do with photos been in a central place. 1 place backup to Google/iCloud. Delete from Google it will also go from iCloud because Google will delete it from your photos library which is also synced to iCloud.

Yeah I get it, but just think it’s weird you can’t free up space on your iPhone without deleting everything from iCloud - kinda defeats one of the purposes of cloud storage

Associate
Yeah I get it, but just think it’s weird you can’t free up space on your iPhone without deleting everything from iCloud - kinda defeats one of the purposes of cloud storage

Select optimise iPhone storage and it will offload older photos to save space and then only download them when you view.

Soldato
OP
Just a query on this, if my phone tells me that I'm maxing my storage and I decide to delete some photos from my phone, will they then just delete from my phone and remain in icloud given I pay X amount for cloud storage per month?

Associate
No, the iPhone <> iCloud storage is a sync not an off site backup.

Optimise iPhone storage option I mention above is the answer.

Also, backup the phone, wipe it, restore the backup. This is always a good trick to free up storage. I used to do it frequently when I had a 16gb iPhone.

Associate
Don't delete photos on your phone unless you want to delet them. The deletion will sync to iCloud and you'll lose your photos. Use the optimise iPhone storage.

Soldato
OP
No, the iPhone <> iCloud storage is a sync not an off site backup.

Optimise iPhone storage option I mention above is the answer.

Also, backup the phone, wipe it, restore the backup. This is always a good trick to free up storage. I used to do it frequently when I had a 16gb iPhone.
AlreDy have that enabled. But annoying as it means I can’t use apple photos to create albums etc

Permabanned
You have 2 types of storage;

1x The Phone - Either 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, 128GB, 256GB or 512GB
1x The Cloud - Either 5GB, 50GB, 200GB or 2TB

Depends how many devices you have depends if you need to buy extra storage. You don't have to use iCloud you can choose to use another application for backing up stuff. There's lots and lots of companies doing it now.

If you want a backup check out mega.nz because it can sync your photos one way. You get 50GB free and auto uploads snaps.

You can use Google Photos as well. Not sure on this option never used it.

Soldato
You have 2 types of storage;

1x The Phone - Either 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, 128GB, 256GB or 512GB
1x The Cloud - Either 5GB, 50GB, 200GB or 2TB

Depends how many devices you have depends if you need to buy extra storage. You don't have to use iCloud you can choose to use another application for backing up stuff. There's lots and lots of companies doing it now.

If you want a backup check out mega.nz because it can sync your photos one way. You get 50GB free and auto uploads snaps.

You can use Google Photos as well. Not sure on this option never used it.
What I like about iCloud is it’s dead easy to share my 200gb allowance with the other people in my family iCloud group.

Back
Top Bottom