Ethernet with electrical cables

Associate
I’ve currently got an electrician rewiring my house. I initially told him to also run some cat6 cables around as well as it would be a good opportunity to do so. However, since then I’ve discovered Ethernet shouldn’t run alongside electrical house wiring. I’m more concerned from a safety point of view (induction) rather than interference. He said he won’t run Ethernet with electrical alongside in the floorboards in long areas but said there will still be a few short areas where it will come into contact. I’m just wondering how much of a problem this is going to be?

Is it ok for electrical cables to come into contact with Ethernet for a few small areas, or is it best to get shielded Cat6 to be sure? (Although grounding seems very overwhelming as I’m quite new to all this)

Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks

Associate
It's not something I've ever paid too much attention to.

I guess shielding would make sense from a safety perspective, I don't think it'll make any difference from a performance point of view though.

Sheilded isn't too much extra effort, I have some shielded connectors that just make contact with the sheilding peeled back over the cable.

yX5K6YE.png

There is another type which has a crimped ring behind the RJ45 connector, intended to make contact with a conductor from the shielding, but I've never personally seen that used tbh.

You only want to use a shielded connector at one end, though.

Caporegime
You'll be fine. He knows not to run them alongside for long stretches, that's good enough. Shielded cable is extra hassle and expense and completely unnecessary in a home.

Back
Top Bottom