***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Soldato
Not personally had experience with the Persona blades. I've used Derby (wouldn't ever recommend), Astra (would recommend) however, now I swear by Feathers. I use them in my DE (EJ89 and Fine Slant) & Shavette for BBS when I can't be bothered to maintain/line up my beard, which I grow out occasionally because Mrs. Shawrey hates my baby face. :p The Feathers are super sharp, so much so, I can't actual feel the blade on the skin.

Cheers dude, back to Feathers it is I think

Soldato
Cheers dude, back to Feathers it is I think
Feathers are by far and away the best blades I've used, Derbys are ok but can feel them dulling during the 2nd shave, Gillette Silver Blue and 7 O'clock Yellows are both good but neither are as good as a Feather for me.

Just be aware that different blades suit different razors as 7 O'clock yellows are the best blade for me on my Merkur Futur but the feathers are best on my 3 other DE razors

Associate
For me Derbys are painfully dull at the first stroke! Blade choice is very personal.

The Gillette Silver Blue and the Yellow 7 O'clock I use with a wide open adjustable - Gillette Slim or Chinese Futur Clone - but my favourite is the Feather with a Slant or an R41

If you haven't tried a sample pack (and even if you have) it's worth experimenting.

https://connaughtshaving.com/samplepack.html

Associate
Currently using a MUHLE r89 to get back into it. Open to exploring a new DE razor though now IM getting on with it!

Afaik, the r89 is identical to the EJ89 so would be a sidegrade at most and the Merkur 34c is very similar - although that is widely regarded as the best all arounder.

Personally, I jumped from the EJ89 to the Fine Slant which felt like a toy as it was made of plastic but that gives an incredibly close shave on a two-pass with the grain and across the grain with a Feather.

Heard good things about the Muhle r41 which is supposedly very aggressive being an open comb, but since Mrs. Shawrey bought me the Shavette (which I do use with a Feather) a few years ago, I haven't felt the need for such a beast. If I was to add anything, I would probably go for a Merkur 39c for the collection as I love the feel of a DE Slant - it just feels 'right'.

Soldato
Currently using a MUHLE r89 to get back into it. Open to exploring a new DE razor though now IM getting on with it!
This was my 1st DE and it's a great starting point as it's very mild, I then bought a Merkur 38C Barberpole for the longer handle and it's a good razor as well but then got the Merkur Futur as I wanted to try an adjustable and it's epic, can change it from mild to aggressive to suit your style and if I'd got this one first wouldn't really need to try another as I now use this 95% of the time

Associate
The Muehli R41 is the most aggressive razor in general production, and the Feather blades the sharpest available.

These products (especially when combined) should not be used by the inexperienced.

However, if you have the confidence and the skill and a tough beard to shave, the results are amazing.

Associate
Last edited:
Associate
An open comb slant seems crazy! One slip in the wrong direction and you could easily slice your cheek open.

I shouldn't be scared to give it a go though as I can comfortably shave with a fully open Feather blade in my shavette but I do have to pay attention and not let my mind wander as the Feather will clean go through the skin and you not even feel it till blood is dripping...

Soldato
Thanks for all the input! Might give the futur a go then.

will try feathers with my current one first. I do have an Edwin Jäger £20 hobby and a muhle with a comb but I suspect all are mild entry level ones?

Associate
By all means try a proper Merkur Futur, but also consider the clone. I bought one. It was fine, so I bought another to take to Cyprus.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174759588451?hash=item28b07bb263:g:UOoAAOSwTa5gk~wB

Both are fine, but you will read some folk complaining about quality control. Worth a punt for £8?

And don't dismiss the older Merkur adjustable - the Progress

https://connaughtshaving.com/merkur500.html

or

https://connaughtshaving.com/510001.html

It has a more traditional head which gets under the nose - with a Futur you may find that more difficult.

If you read Mark extensively you will see he confesses the Progress is his secret favourite.

Soldato
It has a more traditional head which gets under the nose - with a Futur you may find that more difficult.
Quoted for truth, I have to 'tidy up' under my nose with either my shavette or Mach 3 because the size of the Futur head means it's really difficult to get close without spilling claret.

Not used a Progress but I'd possibly pick that over the Futur now I know, the Futur is a very heavy beast though so it just glides through a few days stubble without so much of a quibble

Soldato
Quoted for truth, I have to 'tidy up' under my nose with either my shavette or Mach 3 because the size of the Futur head means it's really difficult to get close without spilling claret.

Not used a Progress but I'd possibly pick that over the Futur now I know, the Futur is a very heavy beast though so it just glides through a few days stubble without so much of a quibble
Sold me on it. Best place/price can people recommend?

Back
Top Bottom