Free software that does an incremental file copy without using a proprietary database?

Caporegime
Hi guys. I am please looking for some help finding some free software with a reasonable GUI that will do an automatic scheduled daily incremental file copy/sync of user profile photos such as Docs and Photos etc from the user profile on my dads laptop to a network share which is on his WD MYCLOUD EX2 ULTRA NAS without using a proprietary database.

There are many free backup tools but they all use a proprietary database and that is what I want to avoid, as it is for my dad and I just want him to have a copy of the files on his PC on the NAS that he can then view using his phone software. I am then also soon going to set up a paid cloud backup solution that takes the same files from his laptop and stores them remotely.

Can someone please recommend me a piece of free software with a reasonably clean GUI that will do the job?

Thanks. :)

UPDATE

A member DOnnie Fisher recommended "SyncBack" to me and holy crap it is awesome... it copies files directly and incrementally with tons of congfig options and withoiut any kind of proprietary database... all with a nice clean GUI! https://www.2brightsparks.com/download-syncbackfree.html :)

Last edited:
Associate
What do you mean proprietary database?

Most sync /backup software will run a comparative scan before copy which it’ll store in some form of database... but that’s generally the extent of it. It repeats the process the following day. The presence of the database won’t affect the files themselves.

what is it that you don’t want about the database ?

Caporegime
OP
What do you mean proprietary database?

Most sync /backup software will run a comparative scan before copy which it’ll store in some form of database... but that’s generally the extent of it. It repeats the process the following day. The presence of the database won’t affect the files themselves.

what is it that you don’t want about the database ?
Sorry, I thought the OP was clear enough... I just want files from the user profile on the laptop copied to a location on the NAS, without any kind of proprietary software required to access or restore them like most backup apps (Acronis, Paragon etc) force you to have.

Associate
Why not use something like onedrive? It’ll sync my docs etc and also holds versions and can restore delete files. Your dad can then access it via phone. That’s a simple solution for him to operate, you could also run a robocopy to Nas once a week if you wanted to. NB to setup MFA on the account.

hth

Caporegime
OP
Why not use something like onedrive? It’ll sync my docs etc and also holds versions and can restore delete files. Your dad can then access it via phone. That’s a simple solution for him to operate, you could also run a robocopy to Nas once a week if you wanted to. NB to setup MFA on the account.

hth
Thanks dude. Onedrive / Google Drive is definitely what I will use for the cloud backup aspect, but for the moment my chief concern is laptop to NAS.

SAre you suggesting Robocopy as the best automated solution? I didn't think it had any kind of GUI and just used CMD lines.

Associate
I think you can get a robocopy gui but it’s not native. I suggested it as a fall back due to it being cmd line. I would not think of cloud as the backup per se, I used to see it like this but over the years see it more as the primary copy with additional benefits. I use my home NAS as a backup. I guess it really depends on the data you are holding.

robocopy is good/fast but needs to be setup correctly - not sure it’s the best for your dad. As a said if it were me I’d setup onedrive and show him which folders to keep the data in - it’ll take care of the rest. I hammer it at work and have very few issues (vastly outweighed by the benefits)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I think you can get a robocopy gui but it’s not native. I suggested it as a fall back due to it being cmd line. I would not think of cloud as the backup per se, I used to see it like this but over the years see it more as the primary copy with additional benefits. I use my home NAS as a backup. I guess it really depends on the data you are holding.

robocopy is good/fast but needs to be setup correctly - not sure it’s the best for your dad.

As a said if it were me I’d setup onedrive and show him which folders to keep the data in - it’ll take care of the rest. I hammer it at work and have very few issues (vastly outweighed by the benefits)
Yes thanks, as I said the cloud aspect isn't an issue, I will organise that. I am looking only for a 'laptop to NAS' incremental file copy at the moment, which is why I need something with a reasonable GUI. :)

I am tempted to just get him to buy a cheap (as possible) Synology NAS and then administrate that, as I could then manage it easily (I also have one) and also copy essential files to my own as an additional remote backup.

I use syncback which is free. It copies files, is configurable with rules etc. Does incremental syncs.

The files copied are straight copies with the same directory structure. No database or software required to see the files on the nas.

Thanks sounds exactly what I need I will check it out and let you know! :D

EDIT - OMG dude this app is freaking amazing and so feature rich... it does EXACTLY what I want and with a great GUI! :eek:

Thanks so much. :)

Last edited:
Associate
I think anytime anyone asks for backup or sync software even if they specify it needs to do do X Y and Z I'll always recommend Syncback.

It's far too powerful IMO. But in this case, that's a good thing.

Caporegime
OP
I think anytime anyone asks for backup or sync software even if they specify it needs to do do X Y and Z I'll always recommend Syncback.

It's far too powerful IMO. But in this case, that's a good thing.
More powerful and configurable for most people's needs, perhaps, but it is a damn impressive tool and the GUI is surprisingly clean and intuitive. I am really impressed by it!

There's also robocopy at the command line...
Dude...

Back
Top Bottom