***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Soldato
Awesome thank you. Last question, long or short handle?
Sorry missed this last night as I ended up rescuing a mate and his family after they broke down on the M1, I personally would go with the long handle as it’s 1 thing I regret with the R89 as I do like the razor but I wish I’d gone long handle

Associate
My preference is for a long and heavy handled razor, but I'm sure that is entirely a personal choice. Some men will wield a short handled razor with more dexterity.

I use a long handled Merkur Slan and I have an R41 with a custom handle. The Futur clone is long and heavy, but I do have a Gillette Slim Adjustable which is shorter and lighter. I use that without problems too, though the deep knurling on the handle may make up for the lack of length.

Down to personal choice, methinks.

Soldato
Either the cat or dog have chewed through my Phillips charging cable for both of my shavers. Did just try to buy a new cable but managed to somehow order the incorrect one so I got annoyed and just thought I'd buy a new OneBlade.

Just wondering if there are any better alternatives to their OneBlade product? It's worked well enough for me and gives me a close enough shave without having to resort to an actual razor but I've been using them for a few years now and thought there must be something new and better?

I can't use a razor. With my hair type it just causes more issues than it's worth as whenever I have a wet shave I just end up with dozens of ingrown hairs or razor bumps and I just can't be bothered with the hassle any more!

Associate
Either the cat or dog have chewed through my Phillips charging cable for both of my shavers. Did just try to buy a new cable but managed to somehow order the incorrect one so I got annoyed and just thought I'd buy a new OneBlade.

Just wondering if there are any better alternatives to their OneBlade product? It's worked well enough for me and gives me a close enough shave without having to resort to an actual razor but I've been using them for a few years now and thought there must be something new and better?

I can't use a razor. With my hair type it just causes more issues than it's worth as whenever I have a wet shave I just end up with dozens of ingrown hairs or razor bumps and I just can't be bothered with the hassle any more!

Braun series 9 shaver.

Have this for when I'm beardless and don't want the hassle of a wet shave - never lets me down and gets a close smooth shave in 2 - 3 minutes. Bonus is there are no nicks or in grown hairs either as the hair is trimmed at the skin surface and not below.

Soldato
Braun series 9 shaver.

Have this for when I'm beardless and don't want the hassle of a wet shave - never lets me down and gets a close smooth shave in 2 - 3 minutes. Bonus is there are no nicks or in grown hairs either as the hair is trimmed at the skin surface and not below.

Sounds great but a bit expensive for me! (don't judge me, I'm cheap!)

Soldato
Sounds great but a bit expensive for me! (don't judge me, I'm cheap!)
Theirs usually lots of good sales on them, a lot of the time you can pick up a version of the Series 9 for about £150, its a very good shaver and the only thing mine needs after years of use is a new Shaving head every other year.
Rainforest currently has a sale on all of them.

Soldato
Theirs usually lots of good sales on them, a lot of the time you can pick up a version of the Series 9 for about £150, its a very good shaver and the only thing mine needs after years of use is a new Shaving head every other year.
Rainforest currently has a sale on all of them.

Ace, hopefully on sale for a few more days and i'll grab one on payday if I don't be a cheapskate and get another oneblade!

I wish ingrown hairs weren't so bad for me, a simple blade would've been much easier!

Soldato
I wish ingrown hairs weren't so bad for me, a simple blade would've been much easier!
Have you tried the ingrown hair products? I used to have a tonic based on salicylic acid that softened them and reduced it. TBF though I don't get them too badly so if it's very pronounced/chronic, you may not be as lucky.

Soldato
Have you tried the ingrown hair products? I used to have a tonic based on salicylic acid that softened them and reduced it. TBF though I don't get them too badly so if it's very pronounced/chronic, you may not be as lucky.

I did try a product called bump stopper which did seem to work or at least it would really reduce how many I get. Luckily, my partner then decided she liked me with a beard so I ended up stop shaving and never had issues with them again.

I don't think I've had a proper wet shave in about 8 years now!

Soldato
I did try a product called bump stopper which did seem to work or at least it would really reduce how many I get. Luckily, my partner then decided she liked me with a beard so I ended up stop shaving and never had issues with them again.

I don't think I've had a proper wet shave in about 8 years now!
That's the stuff!

I usually grow a beard for a while then shave for a while as I get bored. After 18 months of beard growth (growing it long) I cut it off last month.

I'm not impressed with my quality of wet shave yet :(

Associate
That's the stuff!

I usually grow a beard for a while then shave for a while as I get bored. After 18 months of beard growth (growing it long) I cut it off last month.

I'm not impressed with my quality of wet shave yet :(

Get onto YouTube and watch a few videos. Soo many tips from the likes of geofatboy, Mantic, Kevy Shaves, Nick Shaves and PaulHFilms etc.

Personally, geo's videos are my favorite.

Soldato
Small update. Feathers were a great experience, glided nicely across the face with almost zero pressure compared to the german personna's.

Ordered the Progress with the Long Handle. Comes with some Bluebeard blades which I might give a whirl.

Permabanned
So I've not shaved in 3weeks now, Today I knew the razor wasn't going to cut it so had the brain wave of using my hair clippers,
It's done an ok job put taken a few layers of skin with it, or my face was just drying out?

Associate
Small update. Feathers were a great experience, glided nicely across the face with almost zero pressure compared to the german personna's.

Ordered the Progress with the Long Handle. Comes with some Bluebeard blades which I might give a whirl.

Glad to hear the Feathers went well! Despite their fierce reputation, they suit my very sensitive skin perfectly. They simply take fewer passes to get the job done and therefore minimize contact with the skin which means less risk of irritation and soreness.

Soldato
Glad to hear the Feathers went well! Despite their fierce reputation, they suit my very sensitive skin perfectly. They simply take fewer passes to get the job done and therefore minimize contact with the skin which means less risk of irritation and soreness.
I too had heard the horror stories with Feathers and was very tentative when using them, to my surprise they felt a million times better than other blades, I think because they are so sharp you need absolutely no pressure and fewer passes to achieve a close shave and as you touched on the less contact with the skin (especially as like you I have very sensitive skin) the better.

I do use the odd different blade with different handles but I always have a stack of Feathers and use them more than any of the other blades, they may be a little more expensive but the fact is they just work and to me that's the most important thing.

Back
Top Bottom