M140i vs I30N

Associate
Hello everybody,

I am comparing all the hothatches of the moment to purchase and so far, the one that I love the most is the I30N (chassis, sound and racing details that make it unique, in a world of new dull cars).

But I was also thinking the M140i, I know it is totally a different approach (RWD, much more power, although is more of a GT cruiser car than a B road/rally car set up, and less exhaust sound).

I've tried the m140 and it's crazy fast!! You could double the speed limit any time...

The only drawback I see in the German car it's the uncommunicative steering wheel and the lack of LSD standard,I didn't tried hard cause the car was from the dealer. But in many reviews they say it's so twitchy, unpredictable and doesn't give you the confidence like an M car should. (it just powerslide safe ,not drift)

Therefore I create this post in case someone would have tested both cars and could help me.

I enjoy mostly the cars on the B roads going 9/10, but also some city and long journeys (Daily / focus car).

(Currently I have a Z4 3.0i e85, I love RWD, but also was looking for something more practical)

Thank's in advance! :)

Greetings

Soldato
(Currently I have a Z4 3.0i e85, I love RWD, but also was looking for something more practical)

I can't imagine the practicalities of the i30 and the 1 Series being hugely different since they're in the same segment.

If you love RWD why is the i30N even a consideration? Put an LSD on the M140i if it means that much to you.

And sound? Yeah the i30N sounds decent from the rear but I'd prefer that glorious 6 pot singing up front.

Soldato
Drive them both and decide. My gut tells me M140i would be my preference, but you never know. Lots of modding potential aswell. On a sidenote how much practicality do you need? Is there's a slightly more capacious 2 seater coupe that would work?

Soldato
The i30N gets a 5 year transferable warranty and it covers track use so there is that benefit if it's less than 5 years old.

Soldato
M140i for the straight six surely.

I've never driven both so my opinions are null, going by reviews they've both regarded as good drivers cars, only way to find out which you like is to test drive both.

Associate
I had an M135i for a year and a bit and yes it's fast but it's also very numb, I can't speak for the i30n but if you get a good feel driving it then I would probably go with that given the choice.

Considered the Megane RS? Supposed to be very good.

Soldato
Hello everybody,

I am comparing all the hothatches of the moment to purchase and so far, the one that I love the most is the I30N (chassis, sound and racing details that make it unique, in a world of new dull cars).

But I was also thinking the M140i, I know it is totally a different approach (RWD, much more power, although is more of a GT cruiser car than a B road/rally car set up, and less exhaust sound).

I've tried the m140 and it's crazy fast!! You could double the speed limit any time...

The only drawback I see in the German car it's the uncommunicative steering wheel and the lack of LSD standard,I didn't tried hard cause the car was from the dealer. But in many reviews they say it's so twitchy, unpredictable and doesn't give you the confidence like an M car should. (it just powerslide safe ,not drift)

Therefore I create this post in case someone would have tested both cars and could help me.

I enjoy mostly the cars on the B roads going 9/10, but also some city and long journeys (Daily / focus car).

Thank's in advance! :)

Greetings
Don't know if you are buying new or not? £30k gets you into a 2016/17 M2, less practical, more expensive to run etc etc but a test drive will convince you these downsides are irrelevant.

Associate
OP
I can install the LSD but it's very expensive 3.500€ in Spain.

I drive on B roads at 9/10 max, my Z4 also has an open diff and you feel it when you really push it, with 360bhp I can't imagine...

And the sound are very different, the beamer was louder inside, and the I30n seems more exhaust tune...

I think I'm going to wait the upcoming M240i RWD version, it will come with LSD standard

Associate
I have an M240i at the moment, and honestly I haven't fallen in love with it. I have done a few things to it out of boredom really, it's running like 460 bhp. They are stupidly easily to get that out of them for less than £1000. Personally I have owned a EP3 type R, fiesta ST, megane rs250, golf R and then moved onto the beemer. I did have a few test drives in the i30N out of curiosity and really enjoyed it btw.

Apart from the golf R which I found boring and owned for the least amount of time out of all of them, I think I liked something about all of these past cars more. I don't find anything apart from the engine in the 240 special. Although the way it pulls and sounds is violent it just doesn't feel good to drive fast round the bends. It feels really woolly and loose, every bump or crest seems to unsettle the car so easily. The faster you drive it the worse this feels. Really does not fill you with confidence especially how fast it picks up speed. I also find it stupidly fast for the road most of the time. The way it gets into 3 figures without any effort at all is ridic and you could easily have your licence thrown away if you get carried away in like seconds. Actually looking at getting a lighter better handling car with a little less power next. Enjoyed most of the former cars I had before more on the road. Just felt better throwing them down good twisty roads fast.

Last edited:
Associate
M140

Stupidly quick, fantastic gearbox (auto)

Chassis from the rover era - that's all I can think when pressing on and wondering why it doesn't seem to 'handle'

Associate
I've got a M140i auto, fitted a quaife ATB - problem solved

for me the i30N isn't comparable to the m140i, more comparable to the likes of Golf GTI, and the m140i comparable to the Golf R

Soldato
I can install the LSD but it's very expensive 3.500€ in Spain.

I drive on B roads at 9/10 max, my Z4 also has an open diff and you feel it when you really push it, with 360bhp I can't imagine...

And the sound are very different, the beamer was louder inside, and the I30n seems more exhaust tune...

I think I'm going to wait the upcoming M240i RWD version, it will come with LSD standard

It will? I'd be surprised if it did.

Back
Top Bottom