• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1070 -> 3060

Soldato
You can uninstall the old drivers for maximum peace of mind, but you don't need to. Nvidia's drivers will pick up the new card just fine and keep all your settings in place.

Associate
Often some strong opinions on not using DDU due to it being overly aggressive for a simple change.

Only thing to watch out for that I've experienced is, that a Nvidia card swap, even to another slot with the same card will trigger a driver install/setup and sometimes Windows update gets there first and installs its own driver instead of the latest one you had.

So yeah, I wouldn't do a driver uninstall in your case, but I would run the latest driver setup from Nvidia after it has rebooted and settled in. But you can check which driver has been installed yourself before you bother anyway.

Last edited:
Associate
At the end of the day you might be fine just installing over the old drivers, but if you do run into problems you then have the installation as a possible problem to rule out so it is best practice to just do it properly from the outset considering it will probably take less than 5 minutes to do.

Soldato
At the end of the day you might be fine just installing over the old drivers, but if you do run into problems you then have the installation as a possible problem to rule out so it is best practice to just do it properly from the outset considering it will probably take less than 5 minutes to do.
Seems better than it used to be letting GeForce do its own 'clean' install?

Soldato
I did the same change a couple of months back, didn't both with DDU or anything, chucked it in, booted up and then bothered to download/install the latest drivers. All works fine.

DDU was really designed for AMD/ATI <-> nvidia swaps way back in the day, it's really not necessary unless you have issues. I've even gone nvidia -> AMD (old so using windows update drivers) -> different AMD (newer AMD drivers) -> nvidia on W10 without DDU or anything and it just worked.

nvidia -> nvidia, even way back on XP, worked fine 99.99% of the time.

Soldato
Just swap them over, don't need to uninstall drivers
It will pick up the new card on boot
Reboot again afterwards and all will be golden

If you do want to uninstall, just put the new card in and install drivers whilst also ticking the 'clean install' option

I know this from the other week swapping back & forth between 3080 and 3090, didn't need to reinstall anything :)

Associate
As long as the current drivers are up to date all the cards going back as far as the 600 series use the same current 466.47 driver anyway so uninstalling is pretty much pointless, just remove the old card and pop in the new one and you should be fine.

Only need to reinstall the driver if your having issues.

Associate
OP
I uninstalled nothing. Swapped the card. Booted up (144Hz wasn't turned on clearly), ran Windows update, installed new drives, rebooted. All good in the hood :)

Is there any major changes between the cards I should be aware of? Things I need to change? What colour scheme should I go for in the Nvidia panel?

Soldato
I uninstalled nothing. Swapped the card. Booted up (144Hz wasn't turned on clearly), ran Windows update, installed new drives, rebooted. All good in the hood :)

Is there any major changes between the cards I should be aware of? Things I need to change? What colour scheme should I go for in the Nvidia panel?
Everything should be the same. The options are pretty much universal all the way from Kepler through to Ampere. It's usually pretty good at setting itself correctly by default these days for colours and such.

Associate

Yes, not sure why people were telling you to uninstall drivers. For sure swap the card over first, then maybe update them later.

Back
Top Bottom