Dog Attack - Faith in Humanity + 1, Faith in the Police -1

Caporegime
The Police aren't interested and don't want the work, hence the threat of repercussions for your dog nipping someone. No doubt COVID-19 was wheeled out as an excuse too.

Commissario
file a complaint against the actions (or in-actions in this case) of the officers you dealt with? contact the police again and demand action be taken or else be given reasons why it can't?
That would be my thought.

The fact the dog escaped isn't an issue, it's the fact that it's clearly a dog that is unsafe and attacked a human, that should result in action by the police as the dog is not safe.

I was under the impression that the police had to take action in regards to a dog that has mauled a human.

Associate
It's not illegal for dogs to be left at home and it's not illegal for dogs to accidentally escape the house.

Sorry this happened to your wife and dog OP.

As already stated it's not the fact the dog escaped that's the issue, it's that it was dangerous and uncontrolled.

I hope you wife and dog get better soon it was a good job that there people around who could help. You could take civil action against the dogs owner regardless of police action, ultimately there responsible for the dogs behaviour (they might even voluntarily have the dog put down if you let them know what happened).

The whole troupe of 'no such thing as a bad dog just bad owners' is tired and nonsensical. Yes there are bad owners out there but these stories are always about the same breeds. People's objectivity always goes out the window when talking about dogs and they become oblivious to the fact that there beloved pet was once bred for a purpose and for certain breds that purpose was for protection which means there DNA is inherently aggressive.

I believe it is almost always the owner. I've a sometimes dog reactive rescue staffy and I'm well aware of the risk she presents to other dogs (and herself) though she is very friendly to humans and 9 times out of 10 she is fine with other dogs. Even so she is only allowed off the lead if I can see more than 150m or so ahead and behind and can see there's no other dogs in sight. I'll often run with her I'm the lead so she gets a good run rather than let her off the lead if I feel it's unsafe. I'm constantly scanning when we are out and use a ball and treats to improve her recall regularly so she reliably comes to me even when I see a dog in the distance. I know my dog and am under no illusions about her characteristics both positive and negative and feel it's my responsibility as her owner to keep her and others safe which I feel we manage. A less considerate owner would possibly not manage her as safely but I feel that's the owner not the dogs fault.

Obviously some dogs are just bad, like some people are just bad, and those dogs should be out down but owners of grumpy, anti-social or reactive dogs who can be safely managed with the right owner and who don't safely manage their dog are to blame for their dogs outburst and I suspect more problem dogs fall into the latter rather than the former category

Soldato
So is making animals suffer to pay for the failings of humans, generally, so what's different in cases like these?

Cant tell if you are serious or just trolling? The dog is a proven risk to other people, we cant go around killing people so its a silly suggestion.

Going by the Sasha thread Im not so sure, but people calling for the death of a dog is not unexpected in this forum. It could probably do with being assessed though.

Dangerous dogs are routinely put down, it is entirely expected of any population not just this forum.

Soldato
Cant tell if you are serious or just trolling? The dog is a proven risk to other people, we cant go around killing people so its a silly suggestion.

Dangerous dogs are routinely put down, it is entirely expected of any population not just this forum.
They would usualy get assessed first.

Violent dogs should not be let of their leads without muzzles but a home dog is different to an attack or guard dog.

I had a dog that ironicly hated black dogs with a passion and would steam after them and attack them if it was off its lead. Apart from that it was fine, well unless you were in my home/grounds without me that is.

This really is the fault of the owners leaving it so the dog could get out. Saying that the dog could very well be violent, but I still wouldnt be calling for the dog to be put down. Maybe made to wear a muzzle while out but killed? Hell no.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the comments!

There is an offence here of a dog being dangerously out of control and the police have a duty to investigate.

I can't read the full post as I'm at work, but were the police called at the time of the incident?

Force policy in the area I work dictates that an incident like this would be treated as an "I grade" which means it needs an immediate response. The dog in question would very likely be seized if no owner is present.
Even if it's a follow up report, a warrant will need to be sought to seize the dog from the address for an assessment to ascertain if it's dangerous.
This is speaking from experience of having to execute a warrant for a similar incident several years ago.

Pretty poor response if this hasn't or isn't happening.

Absolutely, called whilst the dog was still being attacked, the kind lady who screamed for my wife/dog to get inside her house the moment the dog was freed was the one who phoned them and said they didn't seem interested so she had to scream down the phone..

Whilst the other dog was subdued, I turned up, made sure everyone did not have serious injuries, walked down the road to grab my car and drove the dog to the vets.. The police had been waiting for our return and ended up taking my wife's statement, it was at this point it was obvious things where not right, they didn't ask for any degree of detail of her injuries, which to be honest are just bite marks to her thumb which the Vets bandaged for her, they indicated the dog had been taken to the local vets, received care and was awaiting it's owner that was at work and revealed the Dog Warden had deemed the dog not dangerous.. all within 2 hours of the incident. I had a a bit of an exchange on hearing this about why surely this has to be considered a dangerously out of control dog which is when they revealed the breed and starting making excuses for it.

24 hours later, the officer phoned my wife to update her and revealed no action was to be taken although said the dog "may" go on a register (Not sure which) but no charges and said they thought it a good idea if we told them our vet bill there and then and allow the dog owner to settle the matter.. My wife got a bit upset at that point stating surely that can't be right and echo'd my comments previously to which they make the dig about our dog (classy!)..

I've got a call hopefully in a few mins to lodge my complaint with the officer, and I do want to have a chat with the Dog Warden to go over this decision as to why this is not remotely being considered under either dog act..

Soldato
Thanks for all the comments!

I had a a bit of an exchange on hearing this about why surely this has to be considered a dangerously out of control dog which is when they revealed the breed and starting making excuses for it.
As distressing as this is, a dangerous and out of control dog is totaly different to a dog that jumps out of a window and attacks another dog and bites the owner while doing it.

I got bit by one of my dogs while trying to stop it attacking another dog and that dogs was loved by the local kids because she looked like a wolf and they all used to run around the common with it howling and she loved it too. It was a wonderful site.

A dangerously out of control is a dog that is mental fairly much all the time not just when its sees a certain kind of dog or other animal. It probably just shouldnt be around other dogs without its owner is all.

Soldato
I think you can report these incidents to the council if the police aren't interested which is better than nothing you never know there might be more than one report which might make them take action

Police aren't interested they aren't even interested if you get broken into they're far more concerned about investigating comments on twitter as hate crime

Soldato
This doesn't sound right at all.

Similar thing happened last year to a friends dog. They were out talking when a dog off a lead came running over and scared it. Lots of panic and in the commotion the owner of the other dog got bit.

The police said if they made a complaint the dog could be destroyed, even though it was the other dog that was the problem.

I'm very surprised considering your wife got bit the police aren't doing anything......very surprised.

Might be worth asking on the police reddit..............sounds like they can't be arsed with the paperwork. If so, play the game and make a complaint. I think that's even more paperwork lol

Soldato
I had a dog that ironicly hated black dogs with a passion

Explains a lot.

As distressing as this is, a dangerous and out of control dog is totaly different to a dog that jumps out of a window and attacks another dog and bites the owner while doing it.

A dog that starts attacking another dog and biting people for no reason is a dangerous dog by definition.

Soldato
I was under the impression that the police had to take action in regards to a dog that has mauled a human
I know here in NI they certainly do. Though we have to go through the local dog warden in the first instance usually, unless it’s a serious attack.

@Demon might also be worth contacting your local dog warden to see if they can do anything with regards proper action being taken.

bottom line is that the police can’t just go ‘meh nowt we can do’

Soldato
Bit of both, really.
However, something like 50 people a year in the UK are killed by panicked or out-of-control horses and cattle, and many more seriously injured, yet we don't put those animals down for it... So why are we killing dogs?

Soldato
This doesn't sound right at all.

It does sound right to be honest, even if it doesn't

There was that incident in London of the out of control beast that savaged a poor seal basking in the sun which also attacked people trying to rescue the seal, the seals wounds were too bad and it had to be put down and the police said there was nothing illegal done

Back
Top Bottom