WD SN850 vs Samsung 980 Pro (1TB)

Associate
My 980 pro was hitting 7100mb read 5100 write when 8 first tested it.
Now I can only hit 6500/2000.
Apparently it is due to the cache filling and not being cleared.
Samsung released a new firmware this week. I installed and was seeing 7100/5100 again. A few days later and I'm back to 6500/2000.
What is throwing me is since the firmware update and the initial restoration of 5100 writes, I did see it hit 5100 one other time.
I have left it idling for a good few hours between tests and also try from cold boots.
A little frustrating as this is my main drive and don't really want to see if a reformat will reset something.
It's early days, but initial feedback is that the new firmware has worked for others, but I'm wondering if they also see it fall again.
Apart from read mb, my 960 pro is currently benching higher read and write iops, aswell as writes mb.

Associate
Radom question on thsi (doesnt warrant a new thred)

To take any advantadge of the speed in games (load times etc) do you need to have windows and the games installed on it or can it just be the games.

I've currently got windows installed on an ssd and my games on a SN850

Many Thanks

Soldato
Radom question on thsi (doesnt warrant a new thred)

To take any advantadge of the speed in games (load times etc) do you need to have windows and the games installed on it or can it just be the games.

I've currently got windows installed on an ssd and my games on a SN850

Many Thanks

You’ll not notice much if any difference between nvme 3.0 and 4.0 until Microsoft implement quick load/resume for Windows - similar to that of the new consoles.

I would install Windows on the SN850 and use the SSD as overflow for your games library.

Soldato
You’ll not notice much if any difference between nvme 3.0 and 4.0 until Microsoft implement quick load/resume for Windows - similar to that of the new consoles.

I would install Windows on the SN850 and use the SSD as overflow for your games library.

I'm about to do this, picked up an SN850 1TB for £119. Should be sufficient for my uses until PCIE4 becomes a GPU bottleneck.

Associate
As I previously wrote about the 980 pro having slow write speeds. I thought I'd update to say that the new firmware didn't fix it for me fully. I needed to secure erase too. But now can say that it is now running as it should on the new firmware.

Soldato
I've been reading about MS Direct Storage, can't come soon enough. I've been using solid state storage for 10 years, about time the operating system made full use of it!

Soldato
Neither will DirectStorage do it automatically without work from developers.

I'm hoping with it already being implemented on the consoles and then also on PC's it will be more likely the developers will optimise the PC games. Less work, more likely to happen, I'm an optimist ;)

Associate
As its looking like a on running issue from Nov last year i am sending it straight back not messing around , looks like my old 960evo nvme will have to do as boot drive

One thing i can say is if you get the issue you get it every time so its easy to know.

Back
Top Bottom