Circular saw gets stuck and stops easily

Associate
Got a new circular saw a couple of months back. Makita DHS680Z.

I've found it gets stuck really easily when cutting more than a couple of inches along. Even on wood that's just a couple of mm thick.

Makita batteries which are fully charged and it came with a new blade.

I guess it could be user error but there's surely not much to really understand in how to use it, which then makes me think it's faulty.

Any thoughts?

Associate
I've had the same one for a year or so now and it gets regular use.
Only thing I can suggest is make sure you're cutting in a straight line and not curved. Run the saw along a straight edge or a square and it should be fine.

Edit, thin sheet material is awkward to cut at the best of times, you need to keep it flat and well supported else it'll snag the saw blade.

Last edited:
Associate
Are you using a thin kerf blade ?, I switched to a 1.6mm one on my Bosch cordless and it rips through 32mm marine ply almost with ease, the thinner the blade the less battery you use for each cut too

Associate
What capacity battery are you using? Smaller batteries are not just smaller capacity but have much less discharge power so will affect the power of the saw. I find this on most of my makita tools. Use as large a battery as you can on it. I use 5ah on pretty much everything.

Associate
OP
Using the stock blade that came with it.

I'm not convinced it's pinching as I was cutting up a pallet which had plenty of support and it would get stuck before making it through a plank.

So far I've tried a variety of wood and it starts off well and then you can hear it progressively slow down before stopping.

Changing the depth didn't seem to help.

Associate
OP
What capacity battery are you using? Smaller batteries are not just smaller capacity but have much less discharge power so will affect the power of the saw. I find this on most of my makita tools. Use as large a battery as you can on it. I use 5ah on pretty much everything.
Today was 3ah, so I'll try my 5ah and see if that makes a difference.

Associate
Its just down the the discharge rate of the batteries. Larger packs have more internal cells in parallel so can discharge lower amps per cells for any given fixed power draw. This means that they can provide more amps than a smaller pack to up power or as is normal just last longer by drawing a smaller load for longer to deliver the same amount of power. Where this affects some tools is when the ramp to cut/drill tougher materials/binding and the power draw goes up with load on the tool. A small pack will cap out before a large pack.

https://www.protoolreviews.com/tool...hargers/battery-amp-hours-affect-power/53874/ explains it a bit with generic numbers and they tested the packs in drill tests.

Associate
Are you using a thin kerf blade ?, I switched to a 1.6mm one on my Bosch cordless and it rips through 32mm marine ply almost with ease, the thinner the blade the less battery you use for each cut too
Plus less wasted material, less saw dust.
Obviously thicker blades are required for some things, but when you can thinner ones have many advantages too.
As for battery sizes: with some makes it is really easy to notice. A 2A and a 4A will often look like exactly double of the other with each cell having the same capacity, but rather than 5 * 3.7V the bigger battery is 5 * 3.7V * 2 with the cells connected in parallel given potentially twice the amps.

Associate
Mine does this sometimes. The causes I have found are pretty much as has been mentioned above, either the blade needs changed, the cut isn't straight, whatever is being cut has dropped slightly or the battery needs charging (not necessarily completed empty, even half full there is sometimes a difference). I bought myself a quick square to use as a straight edge when cutting and this has helped somewhat in terms of being able to cut in a straight line. Width of the blade and number of teeth probably makes a difference too.

Soldato
I've the same one, and used it with a 3Ah battery to do my engineered wood floor a while back. No problems, although when the battery got depleted it started to struggle. One batt lasted most of the day though.

Soldato

I've never in nearly 10 years of using Dewalt XR Lithium ever come across this behaviour of bigger batteries making tools work faster/better/more torque.
I've used a mixture of batteries but mainly use 2ah ones. Whenever they get depleted they generally just suddenly stop working rather than progressively get slower.

Soldato
I've never in nearly 10 years of using Dewalt XR Lithium ever come across this behaviour of bigger batteries making tools work faster/better/more torque.
I've used a mixture of batteries but mainly use 2ah ones. Whenever they get depleted they generally just suddenly stop working rather than progressively get slower.

It is true though. Under heavy loads a battery pack with more cells will demonstrate higher performance as well as longer runtime. Fastening and driving and drilling tests can show 20-30% faster or higher torque between lowest (2ah) and highest(4-6ah) capacity battery packs.

Permabanned
Battery powered circular saws are not that powerful and the blade will get stuck unless you are 100% straight with the cut.

Same here. I have a multitude of different batteries and it makes no difference which I use. They all drive things the same way.

Back
Top Bottom