Road Cycling

Soldato
The 5800 GS ones had the taller teeth on the upper as per the photo. SS 5800 had the smaller more normal looking ones. I think they did away with different wheels for SS and GS when they moved to shadow mechs.

They'll fit on and work no bother in my experience.

Caporegime
Just watch that officially you can't supplement a C2W voucher so youll need a friendly bike shop to do this. What is the limit on your voucher, it's no longer 1000 but set by your employer so always scope to push the number up
Ah I didn’t realise that. We get £1,200 vouchers, so perhaps that will have to be the ceiling.

Soldato
Anyone know if 5800 jockey wheels are compatible with R7000? They look similar but not quite the same. Vents on the new stuff. I think the attachment is still the same though possibly? Can't find any R7000 in stock :(
They'll fit and work - as noted by @Jonny ///M

I'm running R7000 wheels on my 6800. Really not sure what the little vents really achieve as mine always end up full of gunk/road gravy anyway. But think of the massive weight saving gains!

I'm also fairly certain the 5800/6800/9000 wheels where all the same thing, possibly even regardless of RD cage size? It's only the newer series the guide pulley has the longer teeth. Maybe JH can confirm/deny. :)

You can put some toward it yourself. As @blairw said, find a friendly local one to help you out. You can just get a good set of wheels with the 1200 pot for example if you already have a good frame etc.
They where locking down on this so really check with your local stores. A LBS other than the big brands will likely be more flexible, but you may also have to pay a bit of an 'Admin fee'.

Soldato
Fitted some old 6800 jockey wheels I had in an old derailleur. Only real key difference was the top bolt is longer for the R7000 derailleur. Also looks like the R7000 are a bushing while 6800 are a sealed cartridge bearing. Needless to say the bushing was in rather rough condition. I no longer get a courtesy squeal on each gear change!

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Did the Derby sportive yesterday, down through to the Cannock then back up.... Not to bad apart from the road in Cannock Chase are super ******, Never had a puncture before on this bike in over a year a couple of thousand miles... Was not excepting a three man team to help put a tyre back on unbelievable. stupidly tight took at least 40 mins and down to the last C02, thank god a aid station with a pump was only a km away....

Associate
Had to turn back on a ride this weekend - tubeless failure. Hole in the tyre too big to seal and the plug wouldn't seal it either. Couldn't get the valve out to fit a tube and limped back with a tiny bit of air in. I'm going back to tubes and hooked rims (Mavic UST at the moment so no hooks, and I'm not sure I'd trust them long term with tubes). At least I can sort them out at the roadside if necessary.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
a whopping 3 minutes outside today before it bucketed it down! turned straight around and came back on the turbo, sick of it now!

Lol. In Portsmouth of all places too! I lived in the Northwest by Bolton for over ten years and now live in N.I so I have fond memories of the tropical south when I lived in Bedfordshire. April was cold but at least there was no rain.. the seasons these days have no typical characteristics anymore unless its just me!

Soldato
Had been dry all day, and wasn't too bad when I got changed, but darkened and just chucked it down and not stopped since! Got our delightful little micro climate down here! Soon as you go over the south downs it does dry up!

Soldato
Just stripped two new SPD-SL cleat bolts :eek:

I'm beginning to wonder if I somehow got fake cleats from PBK. Last two packs have had no notches on the side like normal and the previous pair had black bolts.. new ones have silver bolts. Fortunately used the previous bolts and they're in but bit concerning.

Edit: Looked online and from what I can see they generally have silver/chromed bolts now. Perhaps the previous bolts could just withstand a lot more torque. The lack of a centre mark is odd though.

Last edited:
Soldato
a whopping 3 minutes outside today before it bucketed it down! turned straight around and came back on the turbo, sick of it now!

Just keep riding until the sun comes back out and dries you! :cry: That's what I did on Monday. 15 miles in (15 more to the coffee stop, then 20 more home) the heavens opened. I rode in a downpour for maybe 15 minutes, then it stopped and maybe 20 minutes later the sun came our and dried me up! :) By the coffee stop I was bone dry and actually getting hot in the sun!

Soldato
Just keep riding until the sun comes back out and dries you! :cry: That's what I did on Monday. 15 miles in (15 more to the coffee stop, then 20 more home) the heavens opened. I rode in a downpour for maybe 15 minutes, then it stopped and maybe 20 minutes later the sun came our and dried me up! :) By the coffee stop I was bone dry and actually getting hot in the sun!

I would have had to be riding past the time I went to bed to even have seen the rain stop coming down...

Soldato

+1, currently running 23mm front (~24mm reality) and 32mm rear (~30mm reality, but it's not had much use since buying from Amazon around March, due to **** weather), with a 25mm in the spares box.

Speaking of weather, summer seems to have finally arrived in Hampshire, having had two brief hailstorms in the last eight days. Was great to pop out for a very gentle ride after dinner last night in summer kit. \o/

After being distracted this morning by a mini crisis regarding missing entry passes for tomorrow's visit to Marwell Zoo, I'm now trying to decide on a general route plan for my first 60+ mile outdoor ride since early March, to be done today. Feels rather daunting knowing it will involve ~4000+ feet climbing, I've not ridden the South Downs hills as heavy as I am currently over the past four years of going up there and the longest duration ride indoors or out I've done since early March is under two hours. :eek:

Soldato
Haven't had quite a different between average power and NP before.

I was totallllly done as it was pretty much a race from the get go, if someone wasn't off the front they were trying to be constantly!

Think I was just having a bad yin as there were two guys I'm usually close to that made it round so have to take it on the chin.

Soldato
Had my Pfizer jab last week and it’s really knocked me for 6.

Had it Wednesday then had a fever Thursday Friday. Rode 2 hrs easy Sunday, then did a Zwift B/C group ride with some intervals Tuesday to try and open up a bit.

Just felt totally blocked, couldn’t push the pedals at all, I usually go out too hard and blow up, was trying to ride a conservative 280w at the start and then come home hard in the second half (I’ve been doing 300w for 50 mins Zwift racing) and I couldn’t even do that. Barely scraped under an hour for about 260w average but felt like I was nose breathing and just empty legs.

Back
Top Bottom