DT990 Pro or DT770 Pro?

Associate
Hey guys,

Looking for some advice please so i need to get a new set of headphones as my old HyperX broke on me.
I liked the HyperX as they seemed to have nice punchy bass but we uncomfortable to wear after a while.

I have narrowed it down to the beyerdynamic DT990 pro or DT770 pro.

I have never owned open back headphones but im happy to give them a go, thing is i do like bassy headphones and im not sure out of the two what would be better for me?

These headphones will be used 90 percent of the time for gaming and the rest music and youtube etc.

One last thing i only have a Soundblaster Z soundcard in my PC and no external amp, the DT990 are 250 Ohm and the DT770 are 80 Ohm, i have read online that my sound card will be ok for both and also on other sites that i would need a amp for the DT990 250 Ohm. So don't know what to believe?

Just looking for some advice before i buy as to what headphones would be better for me.

Thanks all

Associate
Well if you like bassy headphones then the dt 770 without a doubt.

As for the amp i do not recommend the dt 990 if you like bass, because i would not go with the dt 990, as well as you not getting the dt 990.

If you like bass then only closed headphones will be better at that in that sort of way due to the sound character of closed headphones.

Soldato
My DT1990's beg to differ :p
While that Tesla driver certainly punches real low, Amiron Home/DT1990 are likely out of budget.
And DT990 actually gives bigger soundstage for binaural sound gaming than those.
Though those Tesla driver cans do good job in positioning and with more neutral DT1990 giving "in your face" clarity of details.

Soldato
Do you have noisy environment?
Open design leaks environment's sounds through almost unmuffled and only way to hide it by increasing volume.
That includes sounds from keyboard with ruckus of average mechanical being quite loud.

Again if you have normally quiet environment, open design works fine and gives chance to be able to hear if something happens nearby.
Tough if you like the lowest "rumbling" bass that's weakness of open design, which struggles with it especially with dynamic drivers.

Associate
DT990 sound like what you'd expect from an open version of a closed headphone. A bit more peaky in the treble though and a bit less rumble, reverby sounding due being more open but they're pretty damped so can occasionally sound like more semi open sounding. The DT770 IMO is more pleasing although it luck of the draw because phone to phone variation has gotten worse with Beyer, you'll either end up with 770's that sound overly trebly or a more bassy less sharp experience. 9 times outta 10 I's go for the 770.

I would also consider the HD560S, it's not a bad headphone, apart from the gritty, hardness around 5kish, it's a fairly balanced headphone with some present sub bass. If you don't mind the lack of bass boost the HD560S IMO is a bit better than the DT990 but those woh know me know I have a bit of a soft spot for the DT770, I can criticise it all day but still do this day find it one of the best headphones and a classic. It competes with open headphones if you want a wide and deep image perception.

Associate
OP
Do you have noisy environment?
Open design leaks environment's sounds through almost unmuffled and only way to hide it by increasing volume.
That includes sounds from keyboard with ruckus of average mechanical being quite loud.

Again if you have normally quiet environment, open design works fine and gives chance to be able to hear if something happens nearby.
Tough if you like the lowest "rumbling" bass that's weakness of open design, which struggles with it especially with dynamic drivers.

No i don't have a noisy environment, i have my rig set up in the spare room but i do have a mechanical keybroard.

Thanks all for the info guys, think im going to go with the DT770's 80 Ohm, sounds like they might be the better option for me.

Associate
Very comfortable, you'll be pleased.
Wearing glasses and don't miss the painful ear I used to get with other headphones (but cheaper ones) after hours wearing my DT770.
First went with the 250 Ohm, the sound card I was using wouldn't cut, replaced with the 80 Ohm which got a nicer bass, IMMO.
Replaced the sound card, now is perfect. Solid choice.

Back
Top Bottom