• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3700x big issues

Soldato
anyone taken into account of dram tempratures, if the heatsinks get close to 60 degrees with no active cooling then that can cause laggy behavior in the bios and especially in windows, i have teamgroup 3600mhz ripped ddr4 kits (x2) on my 5950x build and i can tell you at 1.45v my modules run very warm in the upper 50's acording to my temp sensor which is attached to dim 2 under gaming or benchmark loads, if i try upping the voltages to overclock the ram a bit more temps go up to almost 60 and if i dont actively cool the ram i get lag not so much in the bios but in windows it's terrible, i just back down to the dims rated 3600mhz speed and remove the fan, sure my dims run warm but i dont have any problems.

if you want to keep your overclock setting on the ram i'd sugest active cooling on the ram 1.4v for long term use on ddr4 is very high and going close to or at 1.5v long term isnt really recommended if you can help it, hot running ram and the imc on the cpu gets stressed more.

Soldato
OP
anyone taken into account of dram tempratures, if the heatsinks get close to 60 degrees with no active cooling then that can cause laggy behavior in the bios and especially in windows, i have teamgroup 3600mhz ripped ddr4 kits (x2) on my 5950x build and i can tell you at 1.45v my modules run very warm in the upper 50's acording to my temp sensor which is attached to dim 2 under gaming or benchmark loads, if i try upping the voltages to overclock the ram a bit more temps go up to almost 60 and if i dont actively cool the ram i get lag not so much in the bios but in windows it's terrible, i just back down to the dims rated 3600mhz speed and remove the fan, sure my dims run warm but i dont have any problems.

if you want to keep your overclock setting on the ram i'd sugest active cooling on the ram 1.4v for long term use on ddr4 is very high and going close to or at 1.5v long term isnt really recommended if you can help it, hot running ram and the imc on the cpu gets stressed more.

The laggy bios happens also at 1.35v and even before any gaming session.

Let's see how long I go with 1.15v on the soc untill I start complaining again of instability! :p:D:mad::rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
is that with your ram overclocked to 3600mhz or at default 3200mhz?

3600 MHz cl16 1.35v which apparently my ram can do out if the box according to the product page.

The fact that even at such a gentle overclock (although officially supported it's an overclock as I am running it beyond docp) it could not work even at these gentle settings with 1.35v which is the standard voltage these days indicated to me it might not be heat related at all.

Soldato
The laggy bios happens also at 1.35v and even before any gaming session.

Let's see how long I go with 1.15v on the soc untill I start complaining again of instability! :p:D:mad::rolleyes:

i just headed into my bios on my x570 dark hero and checked my soc, its on auto and the readout is 1.080v, everything is at stock though (apart from cpu vcore i manually set 1.38v as the auto 1.5v is way too high) as i let pbo alter my cpu, the all core oc i was running really hampered the max boost by a good 500mhz

Associate
I found with my 3600x and X570 taichi, the only fix was downclocking the cpu. At stock clocks it would still have issues with even 3200mhz ram at channel 18. Both 8 pack and corsair vengeance tried

Associate
Have you tried running at PCI-E 3.0 rather than 4.0? The corrupt windows and laggy bios and strange key presses (USB issues) happening when you got the PCI-E 4 card might point to something. Have you tried switching back to an older GPU?

Soldato
OP
I think I've solved my ram instability by upping the soc voltage.

At the moment I am trying to find the minimum voltage needed for stability.

I had a gaming session today at 1.112v.

---

The laggy bios is still an issue.

But I have owned the RTX 3080 since Jan and the laggy bios I only noticed a few weeks ago.

Nothing changed in my pc hardware wise and I was running the same bios since Jan. I've updated to the latest beta and the issue still remains.

Doesn't seem to affect anything though.

Soldato
I think I've solved my ram instability by upping the soc voltage.

At the moment I am trying to find the minimum voltage needed for stability.

I had a gaming session today at 1.112v.

---

The laggy bios is still an issue.

But I have owned the RTX 3080 since Jan and the laggy bios I only noticed a few weeks ago.

Nothing changed in my pc hardware wise and I was running the same bios since Jan. I've updated to the latest beta and the issue still remains.

Doesn't seem to affect anything though.
Laggy BIOS is a Gigabyte bug with CSM disabled I believe (you have to do this to enable ReBar). I find Memtest86 very good for testing RAM/IMC (particularly the pro version): https://www.memtest86.com/

Skip tests 10 and 13 if you want to really speed it up.

Aida64's stress test with just memory and cache selected is good too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom