I don't really get Big Bang

Associate
We'll never know what happened before because there's no way for us to observe anything from the time.

We can speculate and make best guesses.

Clearly something happened because a 13billion year old universe exists now. It could have been a divine being, it could be the rebound of a big crunch or it could just have happened as if by magic with no actual cause but this is the thing we could never solve for definite.

Also, don't think about how tiny you are in a universe that's been expanding at the speed of light for 13 billion years or how all atoms are 99.9999% empty space.

Caporegime
It depends whether time is the consequence of causality or the cause of it. We know that the speed of time can speed up or slow down. Assuming that time is just causality (with a cause having an effect) then the speed of time is really just cause and effect occurring at a different pace. If time can slow down then it could stop. No cause and effect is taking place. This may be what the universe was like before the big bang; there was no cause and effect taking place. If everything was in stasis with nothing moving, nothing changing, nothing happening, then there is no energy.

But that doesn't answer the question about why we went from no energy and no causality to enormous amounts of energy and causality (time).

Because someone pressed the on button.

What these theories all ignore is the social side of evidence, I.e that 'gods' have existed for as long as man has, even if these seem disparate they could be evidence of a curator or different curators taking over.

They could simply different personalities ie the god of the old testament vs the new testament is clearly different in personality, not necessarily evidence of no god but of a different curator playing god. Or a change of tack due to the need to course correct.

Therefore trying to prove what came before or after is futile as there simply was no before, only the start of the program which was infinitesimally quick and then the long 'games if you will.

Associate
It was always there.
There's actually a hypothesis called "The Big Crunch" which states that our universe doesn't actually end in entropy/heat death, that eventually all the matter will snap back together and eventually there will be another 'big bang' which will start things over again.

That's largely been put to bed by the fact the expansion of the universe is accelerating.
Current theories tend towards the universe will end as one eternal void of nothing after the last black hole has evaporated away, due to proton decay. Size and time will then have no meaning.

Caporegime
Umm are you morons for real?

its all here..... Genesis 1

The Beginning
1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

Man of Honour
We don’t know is the scientific honest answer.

There’s various theories, matter/anti matter, brane theory and so on. At a fundamental level we don’t know what proceeded the Big Bang to know what caused it and where everything came from.

Edit: It's worth pointing out that there is substantial observational evidence that the big bang actually occurred.

We don't even know if anything preceeded the Big Bang. Did time exist before it? Who knows? I certainly don't and as far as I know nobody does. As far as I can tell from poking around the edges of things I don't really understand, people who understand it as well as anyone does at the moment have a pretty good idea of what has happened since a miniscule fraction of a second after the Big Bang but all existing theories break down before that point. Also...'singularity' is a useful word but as far as I know it essentially means "we don't know what it is" or "a thing none of our theories apply to". It's kind of like "ritual" and "ceremonial" in archaeology. So a thing we don't understand became the universe in a way we don't understand.

I'm reminded of the beginning of bill wurtz's excellent video "history of the entire world, I guess". I won't link to it here because it contains Naughty Magic Words and those are frowned up here. It's a wonderfully made summary of history from the beginning, including little details like the ancient Greeks not knowing the source of the tin they used to make bronze. It's one of the best made videos on Youtube and probably the best summary of the history of Earth you could make in a 20 minute video. The beginning of the universe is covered. I'll quote the narration, but I strongly recommend the video:

"A long time ago, actually never and also now, nothing is nowhere. When? Never. Makes sense, right? Like I said, it didn't happen. Nothing was ever anywhere. That's why it's been everywhere. It's been so everywhere you don't near a where. You don't even need a when. That's how every it gets."

Soldato
Here's my completely made-up and unscientific explanation for Life, the Universe and Everything -

Time is a loop, not linear.

The collapse of the Universe at the end of time, compressing space down to an infinitesimally small and dense state is also the starting state of the big bang, so time effectively just loops in a continuous loop of the same Big Bang to Collapse to Big Bang to Collapse etc etc like someone clapping and as we're only aware of our little tiny slice of existence during that loop, after we die the loop continues until it loops back to our creation, which to us would feel instantaneous and would also help explain Deja Vu as we really have lived the same repeated looped life million/billions/trillions of times before.

Sometimes my genius is scary! :D

v0n

v0n

Soldato
"Time" and with it the absolute need for things to start and stop somewhere may just be only our three dimensional obsession. Trying to predict any "beginnings and ends of universe" from our point of view, using our linear, entropy based physics in three dimensional space is akin to a theoretical being in two dimensional space trying to describe the concept of a three dimensional object standing on the "flat sheet of paper of their universe" entirely from their perspective.

Soldato
So you've typed that reply how many times now?

Who knows :D

It also makes pre-determination an interesting conversation - Can you change anything during the loop or is your life and the decisions you make already set? If you can change things then would/could it have a repercussion so massive as to effect the outcome of the loop?

Back
Top Bottom