Mass Effect Legendary edition (Remastered 1,2 & 3)

Soldato
Is ME in the same league as The Witcher 3?
Very different games. Both are incredible in their own right.

Witcher 3 is an open world fantasy RPG based on established fiction and lore. The game is designed to bring it all to life in one large, seamless experience and it does so with a quality that's unrivalled IMO. And it is freakishly consistent at maintaining its quality.

Mass Effect, generally, is designed more as a story-driven cinematic action experience (it has RPG elements that almost completely disappear by the second game). It's gameplay segments are split-up into "stages" or "maps" which are action sequences mixed with story. It's very character focussed and has an awesome unfolding story which, unlike the books that the Witcher 3 is based off, was written as the games were released with no definite end destination.

It's difficult to compare them. Personally, I think the Witcher 3 is the more consistent quality experience and has about as equal (or more) playtime as the 3 ME games together. Whereas the ME trilogy is much more hit-and-miss. It has incredible steep highs but also equally steep lows that can, overall, detract from the experience IMO. But regardless, the overall experience of Mass Effect is extremely good, it's THE best sci-fi franchise in videogame history and I'd recommend it to anyone. Just... you can't compare it to Witcher 3 ;)

Associate
Very different games. Both are incredible in their own right.

Witcher 3 is an open world fantasy RPG based on established fiction and lore. The game is designed to bring it all to life in one large, seamless experience and it does so with a quality that's unrivalled IMO. And it is freakishly consistent at maintaining its quality.

Mass Effect, generally, is designed more as a story-driven cinematic action experience (it has RPG elements that almost completely disappear by the second game). It's gameplay segments are split-up into "stages" or "maps" which are action sequences mixed with story. It's very character focussed and has an awesome unfolding story which, unlike the books that the Witcher 3 is based off, was written as the games were released with no definite end destination.

It's difficult to compare them. Personally, I think the Witcher 3 is the more consistent quality experience and has about as equal (or more) playtime as the 3 ME games together. Whereas the ME trilogy is much more hit-and-miss. It has incredible steep highs but also equally steep lows that can, overall, detract from the experience IMO. But regardless, the overall experience of Mass Effect is extremely good, it's THE best sci-fi franchise in videogame history and I'd recommend it to anyone. Just... you can't compare it to Witcher 3 ;)

Well said tbh. I was trying to some up my thoughts on them, not having played ME (except that which shall not be named) in a while, and not having completed TW3. To me, TW3 is a better game overall - and as you say, it's very consistent. I just wasn't gripped as much with the story and I didn't like the characters as much as those (that I liked) in ME.

Also agreed that they shouldn't really be compared as it's too difficult, the only real similarity is they are both RPGs.

Soldato
I'd forgotten just how "One more thing..." this game is. Time flies by. Pleased I've gone Soldier for now, but if I recall correctly, you get to swap your class in the 2nd one if you want to? Think I'll switch it up a bit.

Associate
I'd forgotten just how "One more thing..." this game is. Time flies by. Pleased I've gone Soldier for now, but if I recall correctly, you get to swap your class in the 2nd one if you want to? Think I'll switch it up a bit.

Yes, you can change class at the start of the second game if you like.

jpm

jpm

Associate

I did the same, finished ME1 with soldier, now going through ME2 with adept.

Loving 2 gotta be fair (first time playing ME1 and 2) and I agree with the one more thing feel to the game, accidentally ended playing until 2am the other night, lucky I didn't have to get up early lol

Caporegime
Mass Effect 1 finished.

I used the new levelling system where you can only go to 30. Annoyingly even though I did every quest going, I only got to level 29 during the final battle.

Downloaded a patch earlier and one of the notes is:

• Fixed an issue that prevented players from reaching the max level

How annoying.

Gotta say, the end cinematics with The Normandy coming through at the head of the fleet, and then final attack on Sovereign still gave me goosebumps! There's a ******** of dull mako driving to get to that point though (if you are a complettionist)

Last edited:
Soldato
The mako driving drives me insane, it's such an unwieldly system, exactly the opposite to how you run around as shephard.

I'll see about going for 100%, maybe I will, maybe I won't. I'll probably be tempted into it though!

Back
Top Bottom