Worlds most underrated PC games - post here..

Associate
A lot of people play Subnautica, but before that there was Natural Selection and NS2, which was made by the same people, Unknown Worlds.

NS was a Half Life mod and NS2 a standalone game. I have been playing for years.

Soldato
Project IGI
NOLF 2
Ultima Online (ok maybe not under rated by those tha played it but still amazed so few people have heard of it who consider themselves hardcore MMO players)

Soldato
The Chronicles of Riddick games (just buy the latest one as it comes with a free remastered Escape from Butcher Bay). It’s also voiced by Vin Diesel so if you’ve seen the films it adds more immersion. Great game.

The Saboteur was quite an interesting game. It’s black and white until you start freeing Paris then those suburbs become colorful. Just a nice touch and worth a play through.

A lot more people have heard of it since the update and the new one is coming up but System Shock is well worth a play through.

I’d also add in Nox as that was a really fun game with unique control system.

M.

Associate
Terra Nova was really good, it was a golden underdog, missed out due to the Doom hype.

Grand Prix Legends & Nascar Legends. Both produced by Papyrus/Sierra. Both are brilliant sims, GPL was especially demanding on systems back in 1998, wasn't helped that the default car setting was nobbled, so it made it very hard. I tried it not so long ago and its bloody hard, 1967 Monaco with the kerbs and lamp posts.

Historical motor racing sims even to this day have never took off. Even now, there are very few sims based on motorsport from years gone by (Indy, Sportscars, Le Mans, F1, Rally).

You can drive some classic cars in most major sims nowadays, yet many are reliant on the mod community. Most of the classic racing cars you get to drive are racing around modern circuits, where GPL simulated a full season cars and circuits.

Would love a full on sim based on decades where you could race a season from the seventies or for example Group C Sportscars, Group B Rally etc...

Soldato
For some reason an old game from the mid-2000s popped into my head today, and made me think of this thread.

The game in question was Boiling Point. It was an open-world fps/driving game with some rpg elements and lots of faction reputation stuff going on. It was as much a mystery and about managing your reputation as it was about shooting things.

Even for the time it was janky, buggy and very rough around the edges. It was also, somehow, cool, nuts and damn good fun. I don't think anything else from that era put together everything that game had and whilst it fell over as often as not when trying to carry it off, only a small handful of games from all that time ago still have such strong memories for me.

It was panned by critics and I don't think I have ever spoken to anyone else who even played it. It would never hold up today, and is best left to nostalgia, but definitely vastly under-rated for the time in my opinon.

Caporegime
For some reason an old game from the mid-2000s popped into my head today, and made me think of this thread.

The game in question was Boiling Point. It was an open-world fps/driving game with some rpg elements and lots of faction reputation stuff going on. It was as much a mystery and about managing your reputation as it was about shooting things.

Even for the time it was janky, buggy and very rough around the edges. It was also, somehow, cool, nuts and damn good fun. I don't think anything else from that era put together everything that game had and whilst it fell over as often as not when trying to carry it off, only a small handful of games from all that time ago still have such strong memories for me.

It was panned by critics and I don't think I have ever spoken to anyone else who even played it. It would never hold up today, and is best left to nostalgia, but definitely vastly under-rated for the time in my opinon.

One that sounds up my street but unfortunately never got around to playing. I remember seeing it in a PC magazine at the time, can't remember which one.

Soldato
Tyrian 2000

Played it a lot on my parent's then-outdated IBM 486 in about '98. Not sure where I got it from, certainly didn't buy it, but it was great. Have barely ever heard it mentioned anywhere since really.

Seem to recall unlocking a carrot ship and banana cannons.

Soldato
Snowrunner - just started playing this and it’s absolutely superb, yet it hides in the shadows vs ATS and ETS2. Doesn’t even have a dedicated thread on here, that I can see. Already spent several hours just doing the first few missions, want to unlock those monster trucks!

Associate
-Chaser - has a lot of flaws but it also has good combat, a developed storyline and lots of levels. Hardly anyone seems to know about it, some thing it's rubbish (which is why I have it as underrated) but as generic shooters go, it ticks the boxes

I've waited a long time to hear someone else say that! I thoroughly enjoyed it but most people judged it harshly without playing it based on it's lukewarm reviews.

I'm going to throw in Star Wars: The Battle for Endor - a little homebrew game that I still play regularly when I want a bit of old-school instant arcade action. I think it's only survived the lawyers because it's under-rated tbh.

Back
Top Bottom