Worst Brands for electric/electronic goods?

Soldato
Ours are well over fifteen years old, no issues whatsoever.
Likewise. I’ve recommended them to numerous friends and relatives over the years and never heard a single complaint.

Ensure that any additional handsets only have the one wooden floor/partition wall between them and the base station and replace the NiMH AAAs every 5 or so years.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Dyson - Badly designed, over engineered, poor production quality CRAP with shiney marketing and a premium price for middle class fools.

Anything from B & M or the Range (you know it will work once and once only)

Flymo - Orange crap

Soldato
Samsung. We won't buy anything Samsung again.

We had an American fridge freezer that packed up just within the warranty period. Samsung replaced the compressor which then failed again about 6 weeks later but now after the warranty period. Samsung refused to do anything as according to them the warranty on the newly replaced compressor expired when the warranty on the fridge freezer ran out.

The TV we had was utter junk. It had the power supply replaced, the panel replaced and the motherboard replaced. It was like Triggers broom in the end. Richer Sounds gave us a refund after the motherboard failed for a second time.

Our dishwasher died about a month outside of warranty. We paid to have it repaired (new pump) and then it packed up again about 9 months later.

For kitchen goods we buy Beko which lasts much longer and are cheaper to buy in the first place.

Associate
AUKEY - I've bought a few Aukey products off Amazon, mainly due to the number of good reviews and they have all been pretty poor quality and temperamental to use. Make's sense that they have now been kicked off Amazon due to alegedly paying people to give their products favourable reviews.

Soldato
TP Link but I've got over myself recently and now have a mostly TP Link networking setup lol.
This was first thing to come to mind. The amount of crap home plugs and access points I've had off them I refuse to use them for anything now. No idea if they are officially any better but wavlink all works well for me.

Otherwise Samsung TVs. Seem to last about 5 years then stop working. Luckily the last one I bought a board off ebay for £50 and it was a 10 min fix.
My Samsung monitor is developing similar problems, if I turn it off it goes all artifacty and takes 20 mins to go normal.
Saying that my last few Samsung phones have been pretty disappointing. S10+ and s20 fe.
They seem great for a month but quickly go downhill for me in the microfreezing, battery and camera dept....thats probably more me dropping them a lot though.
Maybe time to stop buying them.

Lastly, anything from B&Q. Seating and garden things like parasols, bbqs, sheds, all utter utter crap.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Phillips. Had three electric toothbrushes from them. All good and top of the range all three failed within 6 months to 2 years due to water ingestion. Support is non-existent.

I agree with Philips, their durability is non existent. Paid £100 for their electric toothbrush and it broke 2 years later. I bought another one and again 2 years later it falls apart.

I must be lucky, my Sonicare is still going strong and I must have bought it ~2013. Use it in the shower daily, too.

Soldato
AUKEY - I've bought a few Aukey products off Amazon, mainly due to the number of good reviews and they have all been pretty poor quality and temperamental to use. Make's sense that they have now been kicked off Amazon due to alegedly paying people to give their products favourable reviews.
Ahh to be fair I think a lot of it all Aukey stuff was recently pulled from Amazon as they where caught selling all fake stuff from their supplier.
I have a few bits from them and they are fine.
Same with Dyson, not sure why it gets the hate, in tests their wireless stuff beats everyone else, and personally none of my stuff from them has broken, apart from having to clean filters or get new ones as they cut out if thats not checked.

Soldato
I'm sure there are thousands of "bad" brands.
Having been burned by Nvidia's infamous solder defect (aka bumbgate), I would be tempted to put them on the list.
But the brand a really came into this thread to mention is Durabrand.
It's a Walmart brand occasionally seen in ASDA when Walmart still owned them.
It's not even particularly nasty (bought a multitool with the brand in ASDA for £15 and it's been okay with very light use), it is just that, well...
...Trust an American company to come up with such an dishonest name as there is nothing durable about their stuff.
Rant over.
Bosch is a weird one. For appliances most of them are made outside Germany now Spain etc, those are the ones to avoid. 90% of the time you can get the German made version, and can be identified by a double XX somewhere in the delivery or fine print about the model, those come from Germany and generally as the "good" ones.

Associate
Panasonic UHD TV. The smart features are rubbish, half the stuff doesn't work and it is slow. also you cant use some of the apps unless your aerial is plugged in.

Stay clear.

Man of Honour
Ahh to be fair I think a lot of it all Aukey stuff was recently pulled from Amazon as they where caught selling all fake stuff from their supplier.
I have a few bits from them and they are fine.
Same with Dyson, not sure why it gets the hate, in tests their wireless stuff beats everyone else, and personally none of my stuff from them has broken, apart from having to clean filters or get new ones as they cut out if thats not checked.

Think Aukey got pulled for a mixture of doing some dubious stuff to inflate their ratings and a small number of their products were outright dangerous (insufficient isolation between mains AC and low voltage DC, etc.). Don't think the fakes came from Aukey themselves but might be wrong on that.

Soldato
Think Aukey got pulled for a mixture of doing some dubious stuff to inflate their ratings and a small number of their products were outright dangerous (insufficient isolation between mains AC and low voltage DC, etc.). Don't think the fakes came from Aukey themselves but might be wrong on that.
I think it was a scam, nothing to do with Aukley I think or the reviews ( though I think most are fake on Amazon now), the actual supplier for Aukey got scammed into thinking it was legit stuff they where supplying.

Man of Honour
French/Italian Cars

Depends on your luck I guess, I bought my wife a used Fiat Regata donkeys years ago, she drove it for 2 or 3 years then switched to a brand new Fiat Panda, 3 years later this was traded in for another new Panda, then came her Fiat Punto phase, two of these were followed by a Fiat Idea, this was sold to a niece when my wife wanted something with more boot space, so along came her final Fiat, a diesel Croma.
She loved that Croma, it proved to be ultra reliable, and was a tad luxurious, A/C, automatic, electric sun roof, a fair size people carrier with an extensive boot.
Then came the campaign, diesel evil, diesel bad, mooted higher VED down the line for diesels.
We knocked the Croma out for peanuts to a nephew, who swears by it, trips to Cornwall and Glasgow from London etc., and I treated my wife to a brand new Peugeot 2008, once again she’s as happy as Larry, let’s hope it lasts.

Permabanned
In passing, not a brand but a store, I recently bought something from my usual go to, Currys, and I have to say that I would firmly recommend NOT buying anything from them. Their Customer Services now consists of an immensely frustrating automated phone system. To say it's diabolical is the understatement of the year.
I don't understand why the traditional stores have collapsed the way they have. Where do people buy stuff then, if they don't buy them at these high street stores?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I don't understand why the traditional stores have collapsed the way they have. Where do people buy stuff then, if they don't buy them at these high street stores?
Are you really asking where do people buy things instead of high street shops?

Back
Top Bottom