What film did you watch last night?

Associate
Godzilla Vs. Kong (2021) - 6/10

Silly but in a good way, it’s an entertaining ‘popcorn’ action movie that does exactly what you expect it to do.

Combining the 2 franchises means none of the cast really get much screen time and the villains are really undeveloped and one dimensional, but it does allow the film to have both a comedy team bumbling around and a family orientated emotional side.

The titans look great and the special effects are good, although the more human mannerisms are off-putting and the fight scenes in the city were just a blur of grey amongst the neon buildings.

The overarching plot was ok and I liked the hidden world scenes, but the actual story details were rubbish and the younger age rating really limits what it could have done.

Soldato
Wrath of Man - 5/10 - Not Guy Richie's or Statham's best work by a long way but mindlessly entertaining at least. Enjoyed getting more backstory about "the bad guys" than you would normally in a film like this (not just nameless goons) but the story was pretty poor overall TBH.

Shadow in the Clouds - 1/10 - Chloe Grace Moretz is initially quite interesting for the first 1/3 of this fantasy WW2 based film, then it takes a very VERY hard nose-dive into modern gender politics with Men being the weak and feeble bad guys (even the "good" ones) leaving the single Strong Female Protagonist to solve every problem, beat every Man, kill the ultimate evil and save the day all whilst breastfeeding a baby. I wouldn't have an issue if the film was at least good aside from the gender stuff but it's poorly made, poorly scripted, has poor CGI and just isn't a very good film overall so the gender stuff is just a final nail in an already well nailed shut coffin.

Associate
Shadow in the Clouds - 1/10 - Chloe Grace Moretz is initially quite interesting for the first 1/3 of this fantasy WW2 based film, then it takes a very VERY hard nose-dive into modern gender politics with Men being the weak and feeble bad guys (even the "good" ones) leaving the single Strong Female Protagonist to solve every problem, beat every Man, kill the ultimate evil and save the day all whilst breastfeeding a baby. I wouldn't have an issue if the film was at least good aside from the gender stuff but it's poorly made, poorly scripted, has poor CGI and just isn't a very good film overall so the gender stuff is just a final nail in an already well nailed shut coffin.
I feel like this could have been fun in a over the top, silly sort of way, but the gender crap was ridiculous.

Associate
A Quiet Place Part II (2020) - 6 / 10

Very similar to the first part, but it lacks tension and suspense - I never really engaged with the characters and never felt the fear or threat they obviously did thanks to their great acting performances.

There’s some effective jump scares and the creatures look impressively menacing, but it just feels as though it’s lacking overall.

The simple plot gives no answers and offers no surprises and although it changes things up a bit, it loses some of what made it special along the way.

Associate
A Quiet Place Part II (2020) - 6 / 10

Very similar to the first part, but it lacks tension and suspense - I never really engaged with the characters and never felt the fear or threat they obviously did thanks to their great acting performances.

There’s some effective jump scares and the creatures look impressively menacing, but it just feels as though it’s lacking overall.

The simple plot gives no answers and offers no surprises and although it changes things up a bit, it loses some of what made it special along the way.

Not seen it yet but looking forward to it, surpising you say that as I've read lots of positive reviews and people saying it's better than the first.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/a_quiet_place_part_ii

Caporegime
I don't think I've seen The Fountain. I'll have to look it up.

I thought Noah was alright so maybe I'll check out some other works by the same director.

Soldato
Been working my way through my watch list on Prime, accidentally done a few based on/true stories in a row

13 Hours (in Benghazi)
Not the first time I've watched this and I could watch it many more times, ex military contractors put themselves in harms way when a nearby US compound gets attacked. Good action flick and story, far from the usual way OTT Bay thing.

The Mauritanian
True story of a guy detained in Guantanamo for 8 years with no charge, US defence lawyers take on his case.
I think we all had an idea of what went on at Guantanamo, but woah. The things they did to coerce a falsified confession and get a scapegoat.. And the fact that even after he won his court case they did not release him for 7 further years. Despicable. And looking at how much of the book was redacted at the end I'm sure half of what happened never made it into the film.
One of those films I wasn't sure what to expect but very quickly it gripped me.

Escape from Pretoria
Two white South Africans go to jail for spreading anti-apartheid propaganda and then try to escape from prison over 400 odd days. Not a bad film as prison break flicks go, quite tense in places but..
Daniel R essentially makes wooden keys for 100 mins

Back
Top Bottom