Replacing 12v kitchen undercabinet lights

Soldato
Hi all, another lighting/electrical question from me. I've got three 12V undercabinet lights in my kitchen using the tiny G4 capsule halogen bulbs. I bought some cheap LED replacement bulbs but they flicker, seemingly because the two transformers aren't designed for LEDs.

The existing set-up looks like this, the black wiring goes to the lights. The one pictured feeds one light but there's another one of these feeding two other lights on the other side of the hob.

VJsw7JOh.jpg

I was initially thinking of replacing the two transformers with LED drivers so I could use the bulbs, but the existing lights are a bit tatty so I'm now looking at just replacing the existing bulbs entirely with something like:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-tria...-satin-nickel-15w-3-x-400lm-240v-3-pack/858fx

However these are mains voltage with built-in drivers so the transformer/driver wouldn't be required. Is the wiring coming out of the existing 12V transformer to the bulbs suitable for 240V if I remove the transformers from the circuit entirely, or is this a bad idea?

Permabanned
An earth would be required for metal lamps. You are better just getting a 12V version of the triangular lights. There are tons around. Check Amazon.

Soldato
It's not that the transformers aren't designed for LEDs as such, they're just not appropriate for them.

Those are 12V AC transformers and you need DC for LEDs, otherwise the LEDs only illuminate on half of the 50Hz AC cycle. Hence the flicker. Swap the transformers IMO.

Back
Top Bottom