• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Need some help

Associate
Hi, I have the MSI Bravo 15 laptop with Ryzen 4600H and 5500m, Gpu 16GB of 3200mhz RAM booting FROM NVME ssd.

I was running a few things and the laptop kept using the igpu and not the 5500m, Heaven benchmark etc. So I went into the bios and disabled the igpu but now I'm in trouble... It just boots ina back screen despite there being a 5500m inside to render from. The 5500 does work as I did suscessfully run Heaven with it detected and the difference was huge, it just wouldn't run on the 5500 everytime. Like it was confused.

Now I can't see anything to reset the setting I changed to start over again. Can anyone help me? How do I reset the bios on this laptop without being able to see what's on screen?

Thanks

Soldato
Do you have the ability to connect an external monitor?

Disabling the onboard gpu in the bios is not a good idea as a lot of laptop screens are connected to this rather than the dedicated card (to save on battery etc)

If you can connect an external monitor you should be able to get back in to the bios and re enable it.

My work laptop has a Quadro K3100M and an Intel GPU, in the Nvidia control panel I can set an app or game to use the dedicated card or set it as default to use (unsure if this is possible on AMD)

Associate
OP
I'm. Not entirely sure what that guy did or if it will work for me..

There has to be a way to fix it no? Do laptops have a cmos battery? I always thought that would reset the bios to default but I don't even know if laptops have those too.. Is that a possibility?

Soldato
I'm. Not entirely sure what that guy did or if it will work for me..

There has to be a way to fix it no? Do laptops have a cmos battery? I always thought that would reset the bios to default but I don't even know if laptops have those too.. Is that a possibility?
See my post above, unsure if you saw this before your reply.

Associate
OP
Do you have the ability to connect an external monitor?

Disabling the onboard gpu in the bios is not a good idea as a lot of laptop screens are connected to this rather than the dedicated card (to save on battery etc)

If you can connect an external monitor you should be able to get back in to the bios and re enable it.

My work laptop has a Quadro K3100M and an Intel GPU, in the Nvidia control panel I can set an app or game to use the dedicated card or set it as default to use (unsure if this is possible on AMD)

Woukd plugging it in via hdmi be sufficient as ai have a TV that could accept it

Soldato
Most laptops have a CMOS battery, others just rely on the main battery. So remove the main battery and hold the power button for 45 secs. Now connect power and test it. If it still doesn't work then it has a CMOS battery.

Does it have a removable panel underneath the laptop? If so then remove them and look for a CMOS battery.

Laptops do usually require disassembly to access the CMOS battery. Some simply just need the bottom chassis removed. Others actually need the motherboard pulled out.

Associate
OP
As long as it has one I should be able to fix it then I hope lol

I had issue with bios on a tower once and reset cmos to reset bios.

Associate
OP
Most laptops have a CMOS battery, others just rely on the main battery. So remove the main battery and hold the power button for 45 secs. Now connect power and test it. If it still doesn't work then it has a CMOS battery.

Does it have a removable panel underneath the laptop? If so then remove them and look for a CMOS battery.

Laptops do usually require disassembly to access the CMOS battery. Some simply just need the bottom chassis removed. Others actually need the motherboard pulled out.

The battery doesn't pop out its built Into the unit

Soldato
If you leave the laptop on long enough does it boot to windows? (with the external monitor)

If it does is it possible to re flash the bios which should then reset the settings

Soldato
Did you bios look like an old skool bios or a modern graphic style bios ?

Edit: actually it shouldn't matter, switch on the laptop and press del a few times and it should go into the bios, wait a bit so its made it into the bios, then press f9 and enter, wait a second then press f10 and enter.

That should reset the bios to optimized defaults but you'll be doing it blind so good luck.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If you leave the laptop on long enough does it boot to windows? (with the external monitor)

If it does is it possible to re flash the bios which should then reset the settings

How long is long enough to know its not working?

Soldato
It was the msi standard one.. I had to do the Lalt Ralt Rshift F2 to access the igpu

actually it shouldn't matter, switch on the laptop and press del a few times and it should go into the bios, wait a bit so its made it into the bios, then press f9 and enter, wait a second then press f10 and enter.

That should reset the bios to optimized defaults but you'll be doing it blind so good luck.

Associate
OP
Just to update, I called MSI and they said to send it back to them (obviously I omitted the part where I disabled the igpu ) they RMAd it and took it for repair under warranty. When I spoke to the repair tech he told me that it had a bad mainboard and ordered another one to replace it. So it should be back in next couple of days.

Thanks for the help... Lesson learned I think

Associate
I have got my new laptop NL50RU Clevo with AMD 7 CPU. I was trying to install my 2TB Samsung 860EVO SSD with the SATA flex cable provided but my BIOS can not see the SSD. Any specific trick i have to do during the installation process? I was disconneting the battery first, then install the blue ribbon cable on the motherboard and lastly plugged the SSD into the sata slot of the cable then fixed it on the caddy. Everything is brand new, exept the SSD which is around 2 yrs old purchased from overlockers. On my old laptop the SSD works well so i am pretty sure there is something with the installation on the new hardware. I was checking the ribbon cable 5 times already connecting on the right way to the motherboard, all looks okay.
What can be the problem then??

Soldato
I have got my new laptop NL50RU Clevo with AMD 7 CPU. I was trying to install my 2TB Samsung 860EVO SSD with the SATA flex cable provided but my BIOS can not see the SSD. Any specific trick i have to do during the installation process? I was disconneting the battery first, then install the blue ribbon cable on the motherboard and lastly plugged the SSD into the sata slot of the cable then fixed it on the caddy. Everything is brand new, exept the SSD which is around 2 yrs old purchased from overlockers. On my old laptop the SSD works well so i am pretty sure there is something with the installation on the new hardware. I was checking the ribbon cable 5 times already connecting on the right way to the motherboard, all looks okay.
What can be the problem then??

You're better off creating your own thread instead of trying to hijack someone else's. Not to mention this thread itself is rather old...

Try here: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/community/laptops-tablets.111/

Back
Top Bottom