Road Cycling

Soldato
My form on Strava is showing as good but I'm going the worst I have done in weeks.

Was tired after Thursday night so decided to take a few days off and let a sore on my left leg heal.

Ended up feeling a bit crap and couldn't finish a hoagie on Saturday night. I never leave food so a sign I've got something hanging about.

Hopefully try get an easy night in tomorrow, if that's possible at a Bundy, then be fresh for a crit on Thursday night :D

Soldato
Had to google that one. Hoagie :D

A few weeks ago when I learnt a mate was driving SW I thought cool... can I get a lift and ride back to London with a big tailwind? Of course.. it didn't turn out that way. Headwind instead :(

One of those rides where after half way you just want to be home. I was fed up of the wind and some of the rain I got caught in earlier. Kinda nice roads but just wanted it done. Wish I could have said I enjoyed it!

Soldato
Anyone ever had chain marking on cassette?

fqYTH9f.png

This cassette has been fitted since I got the bike new. Pulled it off to clean it and to my surprise it wasn't very tight at all. I probably should have checked when I first got it but never thought to.

Soldato
Had to google that one. Hoagie :D

A few weeks ago when I learnt a mate was driving SW I thought cool... can I get a lift and ride back to London with a big tailwind? Of course.. it didn't turn out that way. Headwind instead :(

One of those rides where after half way you just want to be home. I was fed up of the wind and some of the rain I got caught in earlier. Kinda nice roads but just wanted it done. Wish I could have said I enjoyed it!

Wow that's one hell of a ride bud! And there is me struggling to hit 18MPG average speed again over rides 20 miles long!

Soldato
Thanks :) There's a lot of factors wrt to average speed. I don't even show it on my Garmin main screen when I'm riding. It's only on the "summary" initial page. I think what makes a big difference though is lack of traffic. Since I moved a little further out my short rides are probably 1-2mph up as I have less traffic lights to stop at. Also, I've been doing this for 5+ years now so likely got a fairly decent endurance base even if sometimes I'm feeling slow.

Soldato
Thanks :) There's a lot of factors wrt to average speed. I don't even show it on my Garmin main screen when I'm riding. It's only on the "summary" initial page. I think what makes a big difference though is lack of traffic. Since I moved a little further out my short rides are probably 1-2mph up as I have less traffic lights to stop at. Also, I've been doing this for 5+ years now so likely got a fairly decent endurance base even if sometimes I'm feeling slow.

Yeah of course, I notice that its so easy to drop average speed, but picking it back up in the same ride can be a REAL slog!

I don't really ride for "performance results" and never really have done, riding for me has always been a social and enjoyable part of my fitness but I do want to get closer to the 18mph average over the rides I do.

I guess I would be considered quite a "larger" rider by virtue of Gym training 3 times a week (stronglifts roughly 90kg bodyweight 6.1 feet tall, not fat just well built) so I'm never going to keep up with the slender smaller framed riders unless I really switched up my training over a long period of time, which us unlikely to happen.

Need to up my miles now though as I'm heading back to Ellan Valley this August and some of those hills I remember all too well!

Soldato
Not a great ride this morning... Set off not sure if I was over the 2nd jab side effects, legs felt a little jelly like, but thought I would just keep it a low steady ride and see how things go. Headed out to favourite local coffee and cake shop. About 2 miles out (so about 15½ miles in) I got a rear flat. Oh well, not the end of the world. Taking off the rear wheel though and something fell off the middle of the wheel... then the cassette basically started sliding off?! As I lifted the casette off, I could see a circular cavern, with a couple of broken bits of plastic in. If I put the cassette (with hub still inside it I think) back on, it would spin freely in both directions.

So... Uber ordered and off home I want :( Have dropped the wheel off at LBS. I do have a spare bike and spare wheels for that matter, so shouldn't sideline me... although tbh I felt so crap when I was sat in the Uber, maybe it was for the best that the ride had been cut short. Perhaps I'll rest a few more days to recover from the jab.

Soldato
Not a great ride this morning... Set off not sure if I was over the 2nd jab side effects, legs felt a little jelly like, but thought I would just keep it a low steady ride and see how things go. Headed out to favourite local coffee and cake shop. About 2 miles out (so about 15½ miles in) I got a rear flat. Oh well, not the end of the world. Taking off the rear wheel though and something fell off the middle of the wheel... then the cassette basically started sliding off?! As I lifted the casette off, I could see a circular cavern, with a couple of broken bits of plastic in. If I put the cassette (with hub still inside it I think) back on, it would spin freely in both directions.

So... Uber ordered and off home I want :( Have dropped the wheel off at LBS. I do have a spare bike and spare wheels for that matter, so shouldn't sideline me... although tbh I felt so crap when I was sat in the Uber, maybe it was for the best that the ride had been cut short. Perhaps I'll rest a few more days to recover from the jab.

I saw on your strava this morning about the mechanical! Not ideal, be interesting to see what has happened?

No point pushing yourself when you have had the second jab either! use it as a good excuse for recovery time on the couch or in the nice sun in your garden or something!

Soldato
Sounds like broken pawls though not sure what the plastic is for. Not that unusual to be able to pull a cassette including freehub right off though. Depends on hub design.

Soldato
Fair enough.

That was my reason for not already having them. Recon I'd get them for £400 and pay him £100 a month but tubs are a PITA. Can get Miche rc38s for a good price through work.

I finally pulled the pin and ordered a set. FFWD F6R FCC with DT350 hubs. If I procrastinate longer summer will be gone!

Not the lightest wheels, but proven, good internal width (19mm) reliable bomb proof hubs which won’t be bespoke or use cheaper components. Solid spoke count 20/24 so they might take a bigger impact and stay true.

I’ll stick some 28mm GP5000 which should size up almost bang on 28mm if I’m right, and a 105 11-28 cassette.

Maybe I’d be slightly better aerodynamically with a 25 but I don’t know how much it would stretch out to measure and I don’t want to risk impacting the rim on potholes.

I was tempted by the spesh turbo cotton hell of the north in a 26mm, but they are double the cost of GP5000!

I rode tonight and for the first time since my jab the sensations were pretty good and the numbers looked like what I was expecting. Just some 3 min hill efforts but it’s somewhere I ride a lot and a good barometer.

It’s two weeks tomorrow since I had mine so a fair recovery as if I had come down with an actual cold or flu.

Soldato
Got my Scribes arriving next week, which puts me in a predicament with rotors.

Anyone know somewhere with Ultegra/Dura/MT800 rotors in stock? Can't find them anywhere...

Alternatively, would SRAM centrelines work with 105 calipers?

Soldato
Got my Scribes arriving next week, which puts me in a predicament with rotors.

Anyone know somewhere with Ultegra/Dura/MT800 rotors in stock? Can't find them anywhere...

Alternatively, would SRAM centrelines work with 105 calipers?

Same hassle as you, I received my Hunts last week and had to use my old rotors. It just means I can't swap the wheels out that easy but I'm enjoying the wheels in this excellent weather we're having :)

I've set up email stock alerts for some online retailers.

Soldato
Opened a new SRAM PC1130 and it's only got one side of the powerlock :(

The box was a little cracked but not really enough that a powerlock should slide out. Quite annoying. Wiggle tend to just ship with Hermes in the thinnest packaging they can find these days so everything gets damaged.

Edit: asked wiggle to send a powerlock out. They did. Cool.

Always felt a little wary of reusing them though I guess it should be fine they do say not to...

Last edited:
Soldato
Honestly, it's probably a little hotter than I would choose now! I think 14-16°C and clear blue skies are probably perfect for me :)

With my rear wheel being in for repair, I'm looking to put my Fulcrum 6 onto the Canyon. Back to this image again (if you remember me wrestling with these to fit the QR)

1Yjxl1V.jpg

I assume 1 to 4 are used as kind of spacers? I'd forgotten about these bits (hopefully they're in the box in the garage) and tried just removing the QR spacers, but then they don't quite fill the gap and something rubs as I tighten the thru axel.

**EDIT** I worked some instructions out, the front is much better, maybe it was 3 and 4 on that. For the back, I could only really get one to fit the disc brake side... nothing would fit the cassette side. Seems to fit nicely though now, so I guess all is good?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Any recommendations for a phone holding solution? I have a Quad Lock which works pretty well (bar the rubber o ring on the holder fading away on one) but expecting a new phone today. However QL don't make a case for it (Poco F3) so I had a look at their universal version which is basically the locking mechanism and 3M tape. This won't work on most phone cases severely limiting my choice in case. So I might have to consider alternatives :).

Soldato
Loving this weather. 20+ degree's every single day for a week in the Highlands :)
Done 19 hours Thursday to Thursday. Up about 10CTL. I should be dying but feeling good. Amazing what the nice weather does to the mind.

Back
Top Bottom