projector instead of tv?

Soldato
I made the switch, had a 65" but wanted a more cinematic experience
I got a second hand Xiaomi 4k ultra short throw laser projector
Spent the money on a 100" ALR screen

Don't think I could go back to TV now unless, possibly, tempted by the 77" or 88" OLED
Dont' regret the purchase at all. Watch it in bright daylight without issue and the experience is great. For me, downside is fan noise from the projector, annoying at very low volume watching but not noticable when something is louder. I build the projector into a TV unit under the screen so it's hidden

Last edited:
Soldato
We also have no TV downstairs just a 106" screen non alr.

New house isn't quite as forgiving as the old with light pollution as the sun sets directly behind, still watchable but annoying if dark scenes.

Man of Honour
I just don't find my projector convenient enough for day to day use personally - nothing beats it for the experience when watching a movie - but for daily use I just end up using either my 4K TV or PC monitor.

Soldato
I made the switch, had a 65" but wanted a more cinematic experience
I got a second hand Xiaomi 4k ultra short throw laser projector
Spent the money on a 100" ALR screen

Don't think I could go back to TV now unless, possibly, tempted by the 77" or 88" OLED
Dont' regret the purchase at all. Watch it in bright daylight without issue and the experience is great. For me, downside is fan noise from the projector, annoying at very low volume watching but not noticable when something is louder. I build the projector into a TV unit under the screen so it's hidden
Got any photos?

Associate
My Autistic son has smashed up 3 tv's so far so I am thinking this may be the best way forward?
Have you considered seeking advice on how to stop him banging the tv? The are practitioners who can help you change the behaviour.

Sorry if that sounds a bit off, the language used with ASD can be a bit blunt.

Soldato
I've made the switch.
Always had a 65'' or 77'' TV with a projector.
When I moved house, I hated interior designing rooms around a TV. Always looked ugly, too modern and took away from traditional features in a room.
In the dedicated rooms, I did design with a TV, I felt they lacked impact and size (e.g. a 77 or 83'' OLED on a 4.5M wide wall looked tiny).

I've since made the (cheap move) to dual Epson 9300s. One in my living room, one in the cinema room. The living room has a Draper React 110'' ALR screen for daytime viewing and the home cinema room casts a 165'' 2:35:1 image or a 155'' 16:9 image.

For films and movies, its absolutely a gigantic upgrade in the dedicated room.
For general chilling and watching football communally, its again a gigantic upgrade.

The massive negative is the 'casual' watching, aka having a TV on whilst talking to people because the projection is so mesmerising and massive, it kind of begs to be watched. Its almost intrusive - when its down.

The gigantic advantage is when its off, its off. When the screen is up, people can see the fireplace, the architectural ingenuity I've tried to put in place.
In the home cinema room, when its off (its cast onto a wall - using special paint), its again unintrusive and the space feels open (well as open as a space can be when it has 2 subwoofers in it).

I'll still need a TV eventually but it'll be in the third lounge, off of the kitchen when I extend. For now, I see no reason to have a TV but I am a single guy. I think for communal family watching, it MIGHT be different; especially ease of use,

Associate
I’ve not had a tv for 3 years now, I just project it on to the wall, it’s not a perfect by any means but it’s a massive image and when it’s off I can’t see it. A massive tv can look a bit daft in a living room I think.

Associate
I bought a Viewsonic PX706hd short throw a couple of years ago. I don't watch much TV to be honest I just use it for gaming mainly and the occasional movie.
I have an Xbox One X connected and everything sits on my Orbitsound sound base quite neatly.

Caporegime
Pricey but a hell of a lot cheaper than an equivalent sized TV, Linus just had a play with this short throw laser projector.....

Back
Top Bottom