Which embarrassing clothes were you forced to wear as a child? (pre teens)

Associate
Swimming cap - which ripped out your hair.
Plimsolls - those black things that stunk even new.

The joys of schools in the eighties - If you forgot your kit, you were forced to wear stuff from the cloak room, absolutely honked of damp, filthy, sweat etc. Grim. I can still smell a crappy Rugby shirt to this day.

Soldato
Saw an 'amazing' jacket in Top Man as a kid and got in a strop until my parents bought me it.

I wore my new bright yellow jacket (with tassels!) to school once and forever was known as Bananaman.

Last edited:
Soldato
Plimsolls - those black things that stunk even new.

never understood those, i've had socks with thicker soles.

stuff from the cloak room, absolutely honked of damp, filthy, sweat etc. Grim. I can still smell a crappy Rugby shirt to this day.

the same smell was always with the vests they used for team colours, don't think they were ever washed. people wanna know why schools are covid hives that's it in a nutshell.....

Soldato
Be embarrassing today, but I wore short trousers to school until I was almost 13. Back in the 1960's though.

I was made to wear shorts for school as well year round, i vividly remember being frozen in the middle of winter in Lancashire. moaning to my mum just fell of death ears.
Another one was a duffel coat that was just heavy and still failed to be warm. that also fell on death ears....

looking back the duffel coat was probably quite good but to a kid that had zero interest in fashion and would much rather have been warm it was a waste.

shell suits were the epitome of cool in my secondary school, admittedly that probably says more about the school than the clothes themselves.

Soldato
I remember wearing a black shell suit, pants and a jacket.

Also remember wearing Chino trousers.

@Maccapacca post reminded me of wearing Bermuda shorts too. They were big and colourful... definately see me coming :D

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Not forced to but I had a shell suit and a wax jacket (that got nicked the first day I wore it yo school).

Caporegime
Everybody wore shell suits at the time, they were the height of coolness, it's only now you look back and cringe. There's a Bullseye episode with a middle aged bloke in full shell suit regalia, it'll have seemed like a good idea at the time.

I had an England one. ;)

Genuinely thought you'd have worn a Russian one. Hmm.

Man of Honour
I used to get forced to wear hand me downs from my cousin in Canada.

Think lots of lumberjack stuff.

The 70's was also the time fashion forgot.

Back
Top Bottom