Chip and Scratches Revealed After Car Cleaning? (Not Self Made)

Associate
I picked up a nice E-Pace back in March. It was 1 1/2 years old, 3K on the clock and bought direct from a JLR dealer.

The car was immaculate. I went over it very finely at the time, and for a couple months I still checked it because I could not belive it had no marks on it. No chips, dings, scratches, swirls, nothing!

I power jetted it twice since March. This was to remove a layer of dust from nearby construction, and a dollop of bird crap. It never had a brush or cloth taken to it and it was still blemish free.

First Proper Wash - Then The Marks
Yesterday I gave it it's first proper hand wash. I used Autglym Polar Blast Snow Foam, and Autoglym Polar Seal. I used a brand new sheepswool mit, a large chamois and then a microfibre cloth for close ups.

This was done yesterday evening and it looked great! Just like when I first picked it up. But when I looked at the bonnet I noticed a small chip the size of a grain of sugar. I am pretty sure this was not there before I washed it.

Now this morning - in the bright sunlight - I see a one foot long scratch on the front passengers door going from top to bottom. This was definitely not there previously, however I can not be sure if it happened overnight (unlikely as parked in private driveway, no passing traffic).

Questions
1. Did this car have some kind of special coating that hid the paint chip and scratch? Could it be that by me washing it I revealed these blemishes?

2. What can I do to get rid of them? If 1. is correct then how do I reapply whatever to make it as it was?

Soldato
Only two scenarios can exist I believe. One is the finer scratches could have been covered by a polish that also contained fillers (like autoglym super resin polish), or you mared the paint when you cleaned it. Aren't the polar series supposed to be a touchless solution?

You didn't mention using a separate shampoo or if you used a two bucket method. Usually shampoo has a different level of surfactants/lubricants vs snow foams.

Soldato
Probably on it when you bought it.

Dealers (if it was dealer bought) are masters at hiding these blemishes! My car looked flawless when I picked it up last year .... now I can see several blemishes which must have been there since I first collected it :eek: Think they use a coloured wax & other hiding techniques which as you say wash away after a while.

Associate
OP
No buckets used - just the foamer and powerjet.

The chamois was used for drying. If that was the cause then surely there would be more than one mark and it would have been a different shape. Rather than a long straight line the chamois was used in a shorter arc motion.

The paint chip looks down to a lower level of paint. The car is silicon silver but the chip is black. The scratch looks to be just the top clear coat. It's more of a white line, with a definite groove as felt by finger nail. What's weird is that when the sun went out of range and the car was in the shade I had trouble finding that scratch. It's like direct sunsine amplifies it. But I can guarantee 100% it was not visible at all before washing it.

Would those tv shopping channels 'magic pens' work on the scratch? Or is there some better product?

Soldato
You shouldn’t use a power washer to blast stuff off your car - the force of the water can cause any debris on the surface to etch its way along the paintwork :)
I think he elaborated to say he snowfoamed it, which is contactless.

Edit: if they're as bad as you describe they weren't there when you bought it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Last 2 cars bought from a dealer I've had the same. The marks that were revealed sometimes included scuff marks.

They obviously use a super resin polish filler type of product to mask the defects and give it a glossy look. Very naughty imo.

Soldato
My first question is why did you skip the 2nd product of the Polar series wash system?

It's a 3 product system Blast, Wash, Seal.

You shouldn’t use a power washer to blast stuff off your car - the force of the water can cause any debris on the surface to etch its way along the paintwork :)

My power washer has variable pressure control so I tend to set it at the lowest option (bascially a little more than the tap pressure) just to wet the car about 10 mins prior to using the Blast snowfoam. I've found it works and I've not noticed any extra damage.

Soldato
My power washer has variable pressure control so I tend to set it at the lowest option (bascially a little more than the tap pressure) just to wet the car about 10 mins prior to using the Blast snowfoam. I've found it works and I've not noticed any extra damage.

That’s fine - I just had images of you trying to blast every bit of dirt off with a power washer on max power :p

Caporegime
Probably covered up with WD40 or something but good luck proving anything of the sort

Very likely this, I know a local guy who does very well out of buying cheap cars from the auction and spends an afternoon rubbing them down with a WD-40 soaked rag, the results are remarkable, until the car is rained on or washed....

Back
Top Bottom