• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

FSR support for Nvidia graphics cards that are several years old?

Soldato
I saw this article here:
https://www.techpowerup.com/282803/amd-announces-fidelityfx-super-resolution-fsr-its-dlss-rival

My first impression is that approx. double the 4K framerate sounds impressive with FSR performance mode, and could be very helpful for PS5 / Xbox Series S/X games, assuming they have designed it to work on RDNA 2 console GPUs. The technology may be intended to encourage users to make the shift over to 4K resolution, as it looks less than excellent on lower resolutions...

I'm very curious to know how well the tech will work on old / new Nvidia graphics cards, and will the performance be nerfed in any way, vs AMD graphics cards?

it will be interesting to see if FSR can be 'patched' in to existing games, particularly ones that already support DLSS.

In some ways, this seems like a lot of effort (and quite a generous offering for us Nvidia GPU owners), but I suppose it's all part of AMD's long term plan to dominate the console and PC graphics market?

I'll admit, I feel quite pleased having purchased a Nvidia card in Feb, hopefully I will get the best of both worlds, and be able to use DLSS or FSR in many supported games :D. I wasn't expecting to see FSR quite so soon, thought it would be nearer towards the end of the year, but I absolutely think they will need it as soon as possible to compete with DLSS.

Perhaps they intend to make DLSS seem like a poor option for developers, when FSR will support apparently support the majority of modern graphics cards?

I'm guessing FSR support is coded at game engine level, rather than GPU driver level? Otherwise, how would it be supported by Nvidia graphics drivers?

Last edited:
Soldato
I saw this article here:
https://www.techpowerup.com/282803/amd-announces-fidelityfx-super-resolution-fsr-its-dlss-rival

My first impression is that approx. double the 4K framerate sounds impressive with FSR performance mode, and could be very helpful for PS5 / Xbox Series S/X games, assuming they have designed it to work on RDNA 2 console GPUs.

I'm very curious to know if the tech will work on old / new Nvidia graphics cards, and will the performance be nerfed in any way, vs AMD graphics cards?

it will be interesting to see if FSR can be 'patched' in to existing games, particularly ones that already support DLSS.

In some ways, this seems like a lot of effort (and quite a generous offering for us Nvidia GPU owners), but I suppose it's all part of AMD's long term plan to dominate the console and PC graphics market?

I'll admit, I feel quite pleased having purchased a Nvidia card in Feb, hopefully I will get the best of both worlds, and be able to use DLSS or FSR in many supported games :D

Perhaps they intend to make DLSS seem like a poor option for developers, when FSR will support apparently support the majority of modern graphics cards?

Apparently they had it running on a GTX 1060, so free performance even for Nvidia users. Given the console support I can see it being like Freesync and GSync. Lots of support for FSR, more open and easier to develop/cheaper to implement.

Soldato
I'm just curious about FSR's image quality when you got minimal pixel data to work and fast panning/movement with things like the thin line on the iron sights or the ultra-slim red taillights on some cars in CyberPunk(just an example and I'm not saying CP2077 will support FSR). DLSS would show ghost images of these trouble areas in this scenario and I doubt AMD has been able to fix that behavior but we will see. I guess it depends on whether or not they will use data from the previously rendered frame or not. Time will tell I suppose.

Permabanned
Apparently they had it running on a GTX 1060, so free performance even for Nvidia users. Given the console support I can see it being like Freesync and GSync. Lots of support for FSR, more open and easier to develop/cheaper to implement.

Well DLSS is already a one click install for Unreal Engine. I'd imagine not much more is needed for Unity. I'd say we need both technologies supported. I didn't buy a PC just to play console level games :(

Man of Honour
I'm just curious about FSR's image quality when you got minimal pixel data to work and fast panning/movement with things like the thin line on the iron sights or the ultra-slim red taillights on some cars in CyberPunk(just an example and I'm not saying CP2077 will support FSR). DLSS would show ghost images of these trouble areas in this scenario and I doubt AMD has been able to fix that behavior but we will see. I guess it depends on whether or not they will use data from the previously rendered frame or not. Time will tell I suppose.

I'm pretty impressed as I've mentioned with the temporal upscaling in Quake 2 RTX (which uses no AI) - none of the issues with DLSS, etc. holds up well in motion and even in static screenshots at 70% you pretty much double frame rate with only a slight loss of sharpness to the image - another example:

https://imgsli.com/NTY0MDE

With some post processing like RIS to get back some of the sharpness probably very hard to tell the difference without very close inspection.

Soldato
I'm pretty impressed as I've mentioned with the temporal upscaling in Quake 2 RTX (which uses no AI) - none of the issues with DLSS, etc. holds up well in motion and even in static screenshots at 70% you pretty much double frame rate with only a slight loss of sharpness to the image - another example:

https://imgsli.com/NTY0MDE

With some post processing like RIS to get back some of the sharpness probably very hard to tell the difference without very close inspection.
Pretty decent result from that link. Sure I could tell but as you said with some sharpening nobody would think twice about it unless there are motion artifacts of some sort.

Soldato
FSR sounds like a big pie in the sky ATM.

Sounds like you don't even bother checking the news.

It's been demonstrated at a major trade show using rival hardware to prove its performance, ability to run on competitors hardware and its general existence.

1060 owners have responded positively as DLSS isn't an option for them so completely free for them and a publicity win for AMD.

Associate
The fact that AMD is supporting a three-generation old, mid-range card from the competition is going to have a large impact on GPU users even if they get image quality only slightly close to DLSS 2.0.

Associate
The fact that AMD is supporting a three-generation old, mid-range card from the competition is going to have a large impact on GPU users even if they get image quality only slightly close to DLSS 2.0.
I’m all for free stuff and got GTX 1060 in my laptop but that runs at 1080p resolution which is resolution of most 1060 users. Upscaling to 1080p from even lower resolution is awful. Even DLSS 2.0 quality looks horrible.

Soldato

It's been demonstrated at a major trade show using rival hardware to prove its performance, ability to run on competitors hardware and its general existence.

1060 owners have responded positively as DLSS isn't an option for them so completely free for them and a publicity win for AMD.

Thanks, saved me typing it!

Caporegime

Thanks, saved me typing it!
He nailed it Tbf.

Associate
I’m all for free stuff and got GTX 1060 in my laptop but that runs at 1080p resolution which is resolution of most 1060 users. Upscaling to 1080p from even lower resolution is awful. Even DLSS 2.0 quality looks horrible.
How about you run at 1440p with FSR and downsample to 1080p to do superception (a reference to the Inception movie). I do understand that 1080p FSR/DLSS is going to look bad but you might be surprised at how many people are willing to tolerate that kind of image quality. Most people still find it hard to comprehend graphics settings in a full graphics menu in my experience. So for GPU junkies like us, it's not going to be big deal but for the average Joe with 1060 (some even have 1060 3 GB) it's going to be a one-flick switch for more FPS.

Associate
How about you run at 1440p with FSR and downsample to 1080p to do superception (a reference to the Inception movie). I do understand that 1080p FSR/DLSS is going to look bad but you might be surprised at how many people are willing to tolerate that kind of image quality. Most people still find it hard to comprehend graphics settings in a full graphics menu in my experience. So for GPU junkies like us, it's not going to be big deal but for the average Joe with 1060 (some even have 1060 3 GB) it's going to be a one-flick switch for more FPS.
You are probably right.
For me even dropping resolution scale to 90% on my 15” laptop looks crap.
Upscaling to 4K on my tv is perfectly fine because I sit further away from the screen (about 5-6 feet from 55” screen).

Permabanned

I have an old laptop, an Asus ROG Strix GL703GS SCAR Edition – i7-8750H, GTX 1070 (desktop chip) and 17-inch screen with GSync. It has a 1TB NVME and a 4TB SATA 3 SSD along with 32GB of RAM.

Still decent apart from the noise! Sounds like a ******* hair dryer once you start up a game. So I am eager to try FSR with a frame limiter, just to see how much cooler/quieter it will run.

Caporegime
It requires developers to actively support it, so don't expect it to appear in old games and for uptake to be similar to DLSS.

Soldato
It requires developers to actively support it, so don't expect it to appear in old games and for uptake to be similar to DLSS.

You are correct, don't expect uptake to be similar to DLSS... it will be better considering it is usable by older GPUs, is vendor agnostic including PS5 or XBox X. Also factor in that the vast majority (or all?) AAA games these days are cross platform so FSR will work on all hardware.

Does that make it better technically than DLSS, we will have to wait and see but I it will have better update than DLSS.

You are a rational and objective person. So can you really say that DLSS will have better update and adoption rate considering it is proprietary and only works on RTX GPUs? AMD have demonstrated FSR working on a GTX 1060 GPU because it is the most popular GPU according to Steam. That alone was a big PR win for AMD.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You are correct, don't expect uptake to be similar to DLSS... it will be better considering it is usable by all older GPUs, all vendors and PS5 and XBox X.

Does htat make it better technically than DLSS, we will have to wait and see but I it will have better update than DLSS.

I doubt that very much. It requires the developer to actively support it just like DLSS. The choice will come down to quality, marketing and vendor support. DLSS is really taken off with proven quality. FSR is yet to be seen but AMD has done their best to to raise serious question on quality and technology limitations. Hopefully when reviewers get hold of it then it can be shown in more favorable comparisons.

Back
Top Bottom