Paddlesports (Kayaking, Canoe, Stand-Up Paddle boards)

Soldato
Following up on the above. I'm also seeing some cracking boards for over in Spain. Ryanair have put their luggage fees up again and it's now £40 a bag each way, so looking at £80 a time to take my board over with me.

Both of these would be spot on, and both come with a pretty decent paddle.

Advantage also being that in a few years they'll still be worth >£500 probably whereas my luggage fees will never be recovered.

https://es.wallapop.com/item/tabla-paddle-surf-sup-touring-naish-nueva-641534536
https://es.wallapop.com/item/tabla-paddle-surf-fanatic-touring-633247352

Soldato
Did you get a good resale value of your gladiator?
I was curious to see how much the likes of a paddle board would cost for adding to a flight as the girlfriend and I discussed this a couple of weeks ago. Now I know.

Soldato
Yeah. It went for £500 without a paddle which I’d sold previously for £100. So that’s £600 resale after a year on a board which cost £700 so I think that’s pretty decent.

You just add it as an extra checked in bag. Some airlines will be cheaper than others I guess.

Soldato
Yeah. It went for £500 without a paddle which I’d sold previously for £100. So that’s £600 resale after a year on a board which cost £700 so I think that’s pretty decent.

You just add it as an extra checked in bag. Some airlines will be cheaper than others I guess.

That is pretty good returns for a used item to be fair.
Have you decided to get that other board now?

We did say we would just rent over there if the costs were a bit silly.

Soldato
That is pretty good returns for a used item to be fair.
Have you decided to get that other board now?

We did say we would just rent over there if the costs were a bit silly.

Yes. Going to have a (very long) drive down. It’s all I need from a board and saves me getting carried away and spending twice as much!

With holidays I see it as convenience. You may pay £15 an hour rental but that can quickly add up if you’re going out often. Plus you’re restricted by them being open and having availability. I like to get out most days and go wherever I want.

Soldato
Yes. Going to have a (very long) drive down. It’s all I need from a board and saves me getting carried away and spending twice as much!

With holidays I see it as convenience. You may pay £15 an hour rental but that can quickly add up if you’re going out often. Plus you’re restricted by them being open and having availability. I like to get out most days and go wherever I want.

Good good! Get some pictures up once you receive it.

Good points also. Certainly something to consider I think. I guess it depends how busy we are through the holiday whenever that may come around.

Soldato
Yes that's true. Also worth noting that not all beaches will have rentals and they may be busy, but depends on how much other luggage you take. My wife and i tend to share a large suitcase for up to 2 weeks, so having a second check in bag isn't an issue. I imagine if you take a check-in bag each then year it gets even more expensive and you start to struggling with hire cars etc.

I'm certainly lucky in being able to go to my parents place. Just about to book the flights actually :)

Soldato
Well that was a long day!

7xKYPF8.jpg

Board is a cracker, In decent condition on the whole and the guy threw in a carbon fin too. Not sure whether to sell it though since i have the Black Project one. Although the lazy part of me is considered selling both and then getting a click in one to save messing around with screws!

Only downside is it weighs a lot. Probably twice what my Gladiator weighed so getting it up on the roof without scratching anything is going to be tricky!

It was lovely around where he lived. I wished i'd taken a paddle with me and i could've spent an hour out on it in the sunshine before heading home.

Last edited:
Soldato
For some reason I can no longer see images on forums, I assume they may have blocked imgur.
Glad you like your new board though. Will you be getting out on it over the weekend?

Soldato
That’s weird. They show for me and they work in other threads too. Maybe something your side blocking imgur?

Maiden voyage done this afternoon. The canal was grim. The rain was ok but absolutely full of flies. I dread to think how many bites I’ll have.

Board felt good. Not sure if it was the fin but I seemed to not be going as straight as I’d have liked. Will try again with my touring fin. Although could just be poor technique as it’s been a while.
I also found that I rock the board a lot as I paddle as it sits more in the water than floating on top like an inflatable.
I did change my stance to be very narrow (literally my feet either side of the handle) and it helped a lot. I seemed to go much straighter after that.

Soldato
I think it is my work internet. They have been updating things so possibly blocked imgur.

At least you got out on it, I suppose it will be a slight learning curve for the new board compared to the inflatable board. I'm sure you'll have the technique down in no time.
I'm just looking forward to getting home and getting on with my isup again. Hoping for warmer weather and no snow this time.

Man of Honour
I did change my stance to be very narrow (literally my feet either side of the handle) and it helped a lot. I seemed to go much straighter after that.

That's interesting. Do you think that meant you were rocking less or just weight on the centre line with the fin? Pics of the board?

Been loving this weather. Had a blast in the K1 this morning very early. Might need to video myself to look at technique. I feel alright in it but not like SUP where I can break down my paddle stroke and really feel whether i am making errors.

Soldato
I think just the fact my weight was on the centre line, so any downward force through each foot had less impact. It was fine for the canal, but on choppier waters wouldn't work, so i think it's a case of working on core strength to avoid too much movement.

Couple pics. Very glad i went second hand as within 5 minutes of taking it down from the roof i managed to scrape the nose against the tarmac and causing an unsightly scratch :(

j0QJ91D.png

jvoit7G.png

Associate
OP
@Martynt74 The new board looks amazing!

I have severely injured my knee so didn't take the board out at all. Work isn't helping as we are so busy and I'm likely to be moving into a new role in the next few weeks. Not sure when I will be able to get on the board at this rate!

Soldato
Should've stuck with an inflatable :(

Went out on the River Ribble last night, i've been wanting to get on it for ages and with it being tidal, it's been tricky lining up a time to go which coincided with high tide and reasonable weather.

Finally got everything in place. Got into the water and other than avoiding a load of fisherman it was a great paddle, then on the return, i managed to catch some rocks lurking just beneath the surface. Have caused quite a scratch and cracked the fin box in 2.
I'm fairly sure the scratch, whilst bad hasn't caused any water ingress, but not sure about the fin box, i'm struggling to even find replacements to buy to try and tackle myself. Have fired off a few emails to repairers down south for advice :(

hxvTdOR.png

PRti6Ll.png

Back
Top Bottom