Fads when you were growing up...

Permabanned
In primary school, Beyblade + Yu-Gi-Oh cards, vans skate shoes.

Don't really remember any fads that are sticking out for me at secondary school I'm sure I'll remember some. Chav culture was a thing then but I tended to give all that a wide berth.

In my day at Primary school is was The Garbage Pail Kids and TMNT cards :)

Man of Honour
Rubics cube
Pez
Yo yo
Spinning tops
Playing conkers
Playing chicken (rubbing a coin hard on the back of someone's hand hand)
British Bulldog
"Bundle"
Catapults
Frisbees
Skareboards
Chinese burns
Flicking coke can ring pulls

Roller Boots. I was really rather good on them and was easily able to transition to ice skates.
Silly Putty
Indoor Fireworks
Silver chain bracelet for men with an engraved front panel type thing.
Those necklaces made from what looked like refreshers but made of stones.
Comics
Pogo sticks
Go Carts made from old pram wheels and bits of wood.
16k ZX Spectrum.

Commissario
My Pet Monster - Younger brother was thrilled when he got one of the big ones with a helmet one Christmas
Bogglins (my mum went looking for something under the sink once and got a shock when she found one of them - I'm not sure why my brother had put it there).
Top Trumps

Associate
I've not read through the whole thread yet but one memory that springs to mind was buying a 10p carton drink drinking it as fast as you could, flattening it out and wedging it by your back tyre so your bicycle sounded like a motorbike :cry:

Permabanned
I've not read through the whole thread yet but one memory that springs to mind was buying a 10p carton drink drinking it as fast as you could, flattening it out and wedging it by your back tyre so your bicycle sounded like a motorbike :cry:

Here in Glasgow they were called Quenchie cups. and the chippies used to sell them frozen as well, where the name changed to a Jubbile.

Back
Top Bottom