Samsung Fast Wireless Charging 2.0 NOT !

Associate
I have the EP-TA800 power adaptor and new EP-N5200 Fast wireless 2.0 charger to charge my Galaxy S10 Plus....

I expected to see higher charging current than my old EP-N5100 yet no !. The phone was around 60% charge level when tested so not falling off as it approached 100%. Using the excellent 'Ampere' to check charging rates.

Any one else with similar experience ?

Soldato
Samsung's website says -

Compared with the previous model Wireless Charger Stand (EP-N5100), this model (EP-N5200) improves the charging and stability of your phone by increasing the width of the anti-slip ridge. This allows your phone to be charged and held securely even with a thick case (up to 3.5mm thickness).

So, I don't think it's supposed to charge any faster?

Associate
OP
According to this, Fast Charging 2.0 is only for the S20 phones and above: https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/what-is/fast-wireless-charging/

So it could be your phone itself is not capable of charging faster?

EDIT: Wait, middle paragraph has the S10+ listed.

Can you try checking the speeds again when the phone is on really low battery, under 20% for example?

Tried when the phone was around 10%, same.

Noticed a website had tested several mobiles on this Dock and from flat it charged an S10plus in 2 hours, my mobile claims 2hrs 40mins from around 10%, another indication that something is amiss.

Ordered a second charger to compare, my son can have the first one for his S9 which hasn't got 2.0.

Soldato
But you could have compared it to your EP-N5100? Their website says they should be the same speed?

**EDIT** Sorry, maybe I'm wrong, I can't see confirmation of how many watts the 5100 should be? Just odd the 5200 doesn't actually says it's faster? I guess the 5100 was maxed at 10W and the 5200 goes to 15W?

Last edited:
Soldato
But you could have compared it to your EP-N5100? Their website says they should be the same speed?

**EDIT** Sorry, maybe I'm wrong, I can't see confirmation of how many watts the 5100 should be? Just odd the 5200 doesn't actually says it's faster? I guess the 5100 was maxed at 10W and the 5200 goes to 15W?
On the product page there's a button to see more on the specs. 5100 says 9V 1A max while 5200 states 9V 1.67A.

Soldato
According to Samsung's site it's a USB-PD PPS 25W charger: https://www.samsung.com/uk/mobile-a...super-fast-charging-25w-ep-ta800xbeggb/#specs

For the 9V profile it's able to supply up to 2.77A on non-PPS devices, and the N5200 accepts up to 2.77A assuming it's not PPS compatible. So in terms of voltage and amperage it seems about right and should allow the wireless charger to charge at max.

The only other thing I can think of that's throttling the charging speed is maybe temperature. It has been rather warm lately and wireless charging is pretty sensitive with temps.

EDIT: It could also be a limitation on either the phone or Ampere itself.

The FAQ is a few years out of date but states some Samsung phones do not give the correct charging amperage, and instead declares the max possible: https://ampereapp.blogspot.com/2015/05/ampere-faq.html

Another thing to consider is maybe the max speed only happens when the screen is off, as the phone is usually idle during then meaning less chances of overheating. I've seen this when I charge my OP7TPro with USB-PD where it limits itself to 5V/2A max when the screen is on, but 5V/3A when the screen is off. Ampere can't detect the charging speed when the screen is off.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
According to Samsung's site it's a USB-PD PPS 25W charger: https://www.samsung.com/uk/mobile-a...super-fast-charging-25w-ep-ta800xbeggb/#specs

For the 9V profile it's able to supply up to 2.77A on non-PPS devices, and the N5200 accepts up to 2.77A assuming it's not PPS compatible. So in terms of voltage and amperage it seems about right and should allow the wireless charger to charge at max.

The only other thing I can think of that's throttling the charging speed is maybe temperature. It has been rather warm lately and wireless charging is pretty sensitive with temps.

EDIT: It could also be a limitation on either the phone or Ampere itself.

The FAQ is a few years out of date but states some Samsung phones do not give the correct charging amperage, and instead declares the max possible: https://ampereapp.blogspot.com/2015/05/ampere-faq.html

Another thing to consider is maybe the max speed only happens when the screen is off, as the phone is usually idle during then meaning less chances of overheating. I've seen this when I charge my OP7TPro with USB-PD where it limits itself to 5V/2A max when the screen is on, but 5V/3A when the screen is off. Ampere can't detect the charging speed when the screen is off.

All good yes it's the EP-TA800 charger I'm using. The screen is at min brightness during Ampere analysis as I'm well aware its the biggest current user. Phone is pretty cool too so doubt temperatures are at play. Ampere giving false results ?, maybe but doubt it very much as reviews have tested the exact same setup and achieved substantially faster charging times than me !.

Another 5200 arrived with TA800 charger and original Samsung short cable. Waiting for my mobile to run flat... will post results in a day or two

Soldato
All good yes it's the EP-TA800 charger I'm using. The screen is at min brightness during Ampere analysis as I'm well aware its the biggest current user. Phone is pretty cool too so doubt temperatures are at play. Ampere giving false results ?, maybe but doubt it very much as reviews have tested the exact same setup and achieved substantially faster charging times than me !.

Another 5200 arrived with TA800 charger and original Samsung short cable. Waiting for my mobile to run flat... will post results in a day or two

It's not Ampere giving false results but more a limitation with Samung's version of Android. Saying that, I don't think it's been wrong with my Tab S5e so far even with the OneUI 3.1 update so that may have been the case with the older TouchWiz skin.

Associate
OP
Update, another charger has arrived complete with Samsung cable and charger....

Original charger weighs 134g, 1580ma, mobile reports 2hr 24min to fully charge.

New charger (using both supplied adaptor and cable AND my adaptor and cable) weighs 184g, 2520ma, mobile reports 1hr 24min to fully charge.

For comparison direct cable 2960ma and 1hr 23min to fully charge (last test so already had some charge from the two wireless units).

Yes the first unit seems fake, lighter, Samsung logo different, bottom label slightly different and, rear fan grill is different (with sunlight shining through the slats to show what is underneath) and fan is slightly noisier. Looks almost perfect otherwise !.

Voila

Back
Top Bottom