• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fidelity Super Resolution in 2021

Caporegime
Yes, but the irony is that more competition is better for all users irrespective of brand. It will probably push Nvidia to try to make DLSS even better, if they can't do it and FSR becomes the dominant solution then it will be because it deserves to be.

It will keep going but mostly because Nvidia will pay to keep it going, because Jens is so pig headed with this stuff, but in 2 or 3 years it will go the same way as G-Sync, he will give FSR his own branding and that'll be it...

FSR is easy to implement and its a great way to get 4K gaming on consoles, they can all say they are 4K on consoles with it, that's what will kill DLSS, ease of use, vendor agnostic, is an actual benefit to developers.

Caporegime
On OCUK there are 7 exclusively G-Sync Screen, one with HDR, which is over £2000.

Guess how many Free Sync - G-Sync Compatible (which are Free Sync) screens there are....

This comparison to gsyncbis just ridiculous and irrelevant

How about this comparison. How mich professional software supports CUDA, and how many only support openCL?

Caporegime
These are AMD provided image showing the best quality ("ultra") mode.
https://imgur.com/a/hmgoI54

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/a...tra-quality-shows-visible-quality-loss,6.html

Still, DLSS is a deep learning technique that uses artificial intelligence to improve rendered frames, while FidelityFX Super Resolution looks to be merely an algorithmic spatial scaler. As such FSR does not use any machine learning or inference and while it is an interesting tool, I think we can already safely state that it is in no way comparable to an AI-powered image scaling system. Time will tell.

This better be Another Marketing Disaster or FSR is dead before it is even released

Associate
Also, iirc, tensor cores handle ray tracing as well? If so, might be why ampere is just over 2 times better than rdna 2 ray tracing capabilities. Last I checked, 6800xt and 3080 are basically neck in neck on legacy/non ray traced games (win some, lose some) and twice as quick in ray traced titles so again, what exactly have nvidia users overpaid for?

Last time I checked, you could still buy nvidias FE cards for MSRP unless have nvidia upped their price? 3080 FE only cost me £650 back in Jan/Feb where as a 6800xt was £800+ (no point saying the amd site sold them at msrp as this wasn't the case for uk nor was it even possible to get one since amd had zero bot protection and literally f all stock)

So I wouldn't say "sensible" rtx owners overpaid at all... Heck a lot of people got a second hand 2080ti for a bargain when the 30xx was announced.... Of course you had some numpties pay up to 900 for a 3070, £1k for a 3080 and near 2k for a 3090 but that isn't anything to do with nvidia, same way it's nothing to do with amd with the numpties that paid up to 800 for a 6800, £1k for a 6800xt and £1500 for a 6900xt.

1 tensor cores have nothing to do with RT.
2 i wasn't talking only about the ampere owners. It does not matter if some people have found the cards at MSRP, maybe others have been gifted a card or they managed to steal one. The truth is the majority of last gen owners have paid at least double the cost of the card. Which was already insane even at MSRP for cards that can't play the games from that year at max res. This never happened before, the last hardware not to be strong enough for the games launched at that time.
The only ones who have paid a fair price are the console owners who managed to get them at MSRP. This is the truth.

Why should Nvidia dedicate resourced snd money in to optimizing s competitors solution?

Nvidia offers their customers DLSS, and thst id where paying customers will wsnt nvidis to focus. There is plenty of room to continue improving IQ, increasing performance, and adding new features. The research on deep learning based image manipulation and adapation is moving rapidly. Forget all the shallow post processing effects of the past, quality and aesthetics can be taken to the next level

You talk like an Nvidia's Witness: "state of the art convolutional image reconstruction", "quality and aesthetics can be taken to the next level" and so on. :D
I hope you get something for free for your "enthusiasm". :)

Caporegime
These are AMD provided image showing the best quality ("ultra") mode.
https://imgur.com/a/hmgoI54

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/a...tra-quality-shows-visible-quality-loss,6.html

This better be Another Marketing Disaster or FSR is dead before it is even released

Free Sync was universally crapped on, it got better, now its the default standard adopted by none other than Nvidia.

DLSS 1 was universally crapped on, it too got better.

All FSR has to do is not be worse than DLSS 1, FSR will will get crapped on by some, others will be more balanced, they will all say DLSS 2 is better, and they would be right.

In time AMD will improve it, game developers will take it up because its easy and it enables 4K gaming on consoles, gradually this open agnostic standard will take over, just as Free Sync did.

Caporegime
DLSS2 is easy and enables 4k gaming on the Switch 2.

It is easy to make empty comments and irrelevant comparisons to Gsync.

Caporegime
DLSS2 is easy and enables 4k gaming on the Switch 2.

It is easy to make empty comments and irrelevant comparisons to Gsync.

You don't get it. Mario Cart isn't on PC.

Its completely relevant, Nvidia tried to lock you into their hardware with G-Sync, it didn't work, because Nvidia are no where near as big as AMD in the world of Gaming.

Associate
Caporegime
IN general this talk of FSR on consoles is bogus. Consoles already support various upscaling methods and techniques to reduce shader cost with hardware accelerated checkerboarding for example.

Given that better implementations of FSR already appear to exist such as TSR, then there isn't a big incentive to use FSR.

The problem AMD has being second to market and trying pretend that FSR is comparable to DLSS, is that reviewers will make that comparison and FSR will fall well short. Once that damage is done it will be hard to win mindshare beyond the AMD diehards

Caporegime
IN general this talk of FSR on consoles is bogus. Consoles already support various upscaling methods and techniques to reduce shader cost with hardware accelerated checkerboarding for example.

Given that better implementations of FSR already appear to exist such as TSR, then there isn't a big incentive to use FSR.

The problem AMD has being second to market and trying pretend that FSR is comparable to DLSS, is that reviewers will make that comparison and FSR will fall well short. Once that damage is done it will be hard to win mindshare beyond the AMD diehards

You're still not getting it, AMD are not second in the world of X86 gaming, they are Number 1.

Caporegime
I sense some real hate weird why care about something you have non interest in

Either that or your so bored and have nothing better do with your life but troll

I do find it strange the shear hate that some have towards Nvidia and this blind acceptance to whatever AMD feeds them is some how gospel. Utterly perplexing.

Caporegime
To date Sony Sold more PS5's than Nvidia sold RTX 20 and RTX 30 series GPU's total.

So what:confused:

Care to actually comment on anything in my post, or are you just going to continue to state irrelevant statistics?

Do you have any opinion on the fact that FSR will be compared to DLSS 2.0 since it is second to market?
Do you have any opinion on the fact that console already extensively use up-scaling and have unique hardware capabilities to improve scaling?
Do you have any opinion on the fact that FSR has several competitors, and by the limitation of not using temporal accuulation there is a hard bound on the quality achoved by FSR compared to techniques such as TSR

Soldato
FSR has already been confirmed as a viable tech on consoles, so please don't make out FSR is aimed at PC only. If (big if) FSR can get better than DLSS 1.0 and reasonably close to DLSS 2.0, then the fact it will be open source, vendor agnostic and cross platform is why it will beat DLSS in the end. The HUB video linked to earlier mentioned that some devs they spoke to said FSR was easier to implement and had a much wider userbase than DLSS. So I have no reason to doubt that claim.

Ultimately if it is giving good IQ and significantly better performance for more people then they won't give a crap what tech drives it. Or that DLSS is better for the much more limited number of people who have an RTX GPU.

EDIT: I have an 3080 RTX GPU that I use for Hi Res VR and if I have a choice of DLSS 2.0 or FSR I will obviously choose DLSS. The problem is that DLSS adoption rate in 2D or VR is painfully slow at best. So if FSR is the answer to get me out of having to use reprojection for smooth gameplay then I will be delighted with more choice.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Do you have any opinion on the fact that FSR will be compared to DLSS 2.0 since it is second to market?
Do you have any opinion on the fact that console already extensively use up-scaling and have unique hardware capabilities to improve scaling?
Do you have any opinion on the fact that FSR has several competitors, and by the limitation of not using temporal accuulation there is a hard bound on the quality achoved by FSR compared to techniques such as TSR

That's fine, it needs to compete with what's current.

Some no doubt do, now they have a unified system they can use for consoles and PC, that's a win, for them.

What is competition for FSR is also true for DLSS, the later of that question is a troll, you don't know what FSR is any more than the rest of us, stop pretending you know something we don't.

Caporegime
FSR has already been confirmed as a viable tech on consoles

Do you have a link for this? I haven't seen anything official apart form AMd's recent announcement with info from Godfall and confirmation it doesn;t sue temporal accumulation, instead relying on the games TAA.

No where did I say FSR is limited to PC, I have just pointed out that consoles have a long history of image upscaling and the GPU's even have proprietary hardware features to do checkerboard rendering not found on the PC GPUs. There are also already alternatives to FSR. UE5's TSR look truley excellent for example. So console games won;t necessarily flock around FSR if there are better alternatives.

Back
Top Bottom