What retro things have you done today?

Caporegime
@Armageus in addition to running the ti4600 side by side with a PCI card, see if something like nvflash can read the BIOS from DOS rather than just seeing if device manager sees it.

If the card can be detected by nvflash and there’s still no output (even garbled output) then it’s probably missing/loose components or scratched traces.

If all else fails I’m happy to take a look at it for you.

Soldato
Getting close to the "retro" limit but it was made for XP and there is plenty of XP action on here...

A free pickup from FB marketplace.
has an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ and 4gb of DDR2. Built in geforce 6100.
Has IDE and SATA and even a floppy drive header.

Currently formatting it as it has a 320gb sata drive full of personal files. Going to install XP Pro on it and do some benches. Might even try windows 10 on it for some fun.

Inside it is absolutely filthy so its prime for a nice little cleaning montage on youtube :)

Afterwards I might gut it. The case is cheap but usable. The 4GB of DDR2 will fit nicely in my 775 machine and the I am short of a PSU after losing one the other week.

Associate
There is no Retro limit.. its in the mind... I installed XP to my Haswell box, confident I can get 2000 on and I am reasonably confident 98SE (using a VBE driver) soon

Soldato
Ha there has been a few comments here and there about some of the higher end XP boxes being posted :p
For me XP is retro and there are specific games I need it to play...

Today I have managed to get the "Tiny" laptop fully working and filmed a fair amount of it for my next youtube video. After fixing the dodgy fan the hard drive decided it had had enough so I had to replace it. Fortunately I have been a hoarder for some time and still had a 40gb IDE 2.5" drive ready to go. I also captured a whole hours worth of windows 98 install and driver setup only to decide I want XP on it to match the included sticker.

It was an absolute nightmare finding out what GPU it had and then finding drivers that want to work but all is sorted now.

Very happy with the outcome tho for £5. I'm pretty sure the seller never expected it to be going again :)

Associate
Finally got round to doing the little DIP switch mod to my 233mmx machine. Allows me to adjust the Multipliers and fsb without opening the case. I just need to design and print a case badge now to finish it off.

ZP1aft6l.jpg
jWmnpTbl.jpg

Caporegime
Finally found and ordered a new Slot 1 motherboard that will house my Powerleap Tualatin adapter. I think my journey with Slot 1 will be complete at this point as it’ll be the ultimate build IMO.

Asus P3C, Slot 1 with RAMBUS!

Associate
@cee-S-dee looks REALLY clean and just like BITD... I think I would replace that Slim but prob less effective fan at the front with a FAT one myself. I like how the cards are all colour coded

I wanna see a retro PC without a Voodoo2 and with a Videologic Apocalypse 3D card!

Associate
@JudgeDeath Thank you man. I actually bought the 15mm fan to try and squeeze my Awe32 into the case, but it still wont fit! So I will probably change the fan back to the Gentle Typhoon that was in it originally.

My Desktop PC which which was posted earlier has a Matrox M3D so a PowerVR card like the Apocalypse 3D which runs along side a Voodoo 3 3500TV. Best of both worlds :)

Associate
@JudgeDeath Thank you man. I actually bought the 15mm fan to try and squeeze my Awe32 into the case, but it still wont fit! So I will probably change the fan back to the Gentle Typhoon that was in it originally.

My Desktop PC which which was posted earlier has a Matrox M3D so a PowerVR card like the Apocalypse 3D which runs along side a Voodoo 3 3500TV. Best of both worlds :)

You're my kind of nerd :) Loved the Voodoo cards inc the VoodooTV tuner card!

My retro thing for today - testing 5 eBay floppy drives and formatting a pile of floppy disks... Not sure I still have the patience I had BITD for floppy disks

Soldato
Today, I was playing with my P200 MMX.

Windows 95, a bit of GTA1 and looking at an FTP client to transfer more software to it over the network.

I also tinkered with a RetroPie install which worked first time. I suck at Shinobi.

And finally my Dreamcast with GDEmu / SD game load. Daytona USA for the win..! (I lost).

I'm in a good retro place at the moment.

Associate
I caved and bought myself a largely useless piece of video cap kit - mainly cos I had fun with one of these back in the day (2000-2003)

s-l1600.jpg

Soldato
Today I bought a "Nvidia GTS 250 256Mb" for £1 from CEX using a trade in voucher. This card shouldn't exist so I'm wondering what will actually turn up and for £3 (when including delivery) it's worth the excitement of the mystery:p

I now have £4 of voucher left so I'll wait for the next mystery card to pop up.

Associate
Didnt RandomGaminginHD (or whatever he's called) do a YT video on that card? I might be wrong but it was an "allegedly never existed" Nv card

Don
Thanks @paradigm . Only other thought I had was whether it just isn't compatible with the board I have (still only a 440LX)

This arrived yesterday:
xYWOcvEl.jpg

Socket 775, AGP, DDR1 (and a 2.8Ghz Celeron)

Tried the Ti4600 in it - now getting a display output, unfortunately though it's a screen full of blue blocky corruption - but can "see" the post happening.

Picture of the rear of the card (post cleanup)
m2atqs1l.jpg

Back
Top Bottom