Electric shavers? Advice please.

Soldato
pre-shave :
I 've had this lotion in my basket forever somersets https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004CLJSCO
but, for the time being using some mineral oil (also used for chopping board) applied on the pan blades daily/q-tip

my problem with the newer panasonics is that the head size has increased versus older model like es18 linear I pictured above, so they look a lot less manouverable under the chin.
I've stuck with three blades, which have same motor as lv95/65, because they have a smaller head .... just can't see how you keep a five blade, all, against your skin.

The older Brauns I have 3 series, is much faster (8mins versus 14), not as closer cutting, and tends to rip out hairs which is a common complaint, if you read, even, newer braun 9 reviews.

There seems to be no new innovations, over several years, they just change the handles and add silly lcd displays.

The Braun PocketGo electric is brilliant for picking up hairs the Pan misses at neck level. - and they are £15. (i've a couple of these)

Man of Honour
There seems to be no new innovations, over several years, they just change the handles and add silly lcd displays.(i've a couple of these)
Agree about innovation. It's genuinely surprising why none of the major manufacturers have adopted USBC as the charging standard, especially for any travel focused shavers. I've had to buy a third party USBA cable for my Braun 3. It means I can take it away when travelling. But I'd have bought a new shaver if they offered USBC fast charging. I really don't care about LED displays but something like USBC would make a difference to me.

Soldato
Good shaver web site , which compares minimalist changes across Panasonic generations LV9 C/D/E
https://shavercheck.com/panasonic-arc-5-revision-e/
Panasonic does however mention an AI beard density sensor for the rev E that supposedly reads the beard density and makes real-time adjustments to the power output of the motor, ensuring a more efficient and comfortable shave.

the Xiaomi panasonic look alike , reference, looks interesting
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gooplayer-Reciprocating-Electric-Waterproof-Omnidirectional/dp/B08BLX9XMP
can't see any reviews on build quality, or uk suppliers yet. ?
but it has 5 blades so big head ... I prefer 3 blade for kneck area access

Soldato
Opinions , anyone own one or have used one in the past as the reviews are rather mixed?
considered briefly V

Hidden costs - how long does a blade last ? their web site suggests 4 months @2LOL shaves a week, so ~1month for dailies - OK they are 'only' £10 a go.
Traditional braun shaver blades ~£30 last me 18month, but are deteriorating after 12, as they predict.

- am currently evaluating market to update my ageing Braun+Panasonic electrics

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
My Braun series 9 blade cassette lasts a year+, granted they cost £30 or so but a year+ of shaving is very good for that sort of price.

Caporegime
I'm still using a babyliss beard trimmer from like 6 years ago.

battery lasts 1 hour.
0.4mm to 4.0mm in 0.2mm increments

never even oiled it the whole time, shower proof too but never used it in there.
I think it was like 50 quid in boots at the time.
VYLv1SL.jpg

I'll break out an old Gillette razor if I want a clean shave but run over my face with this and no guard first.

Soldato
I had the Panasonic ES-LV95 in Nov 2016 and I've bought one replacement head/cassette/blades at around £35 and a rechargeable battery at £15.

I bought this last year after you recommended it. At first I wasn't impressed and then grew my beard. I'm back to shaving and I try to shave every two days now and it's great. Feels really smooth although sometimes it takes me a while longer to shave around my neck for some reason.

The only lotion I've used so far is the pre-electric shave stuff you get from Boots for about £3.

Man of Honour
I bought this last year after you recommended it. At first I wasn't impressed and then grew my beard. I'm back to shaving and I try to shave every two days now and it's great. Feels really smooth although sometimes it takes me a while longer to shave around my neck for some reason.

The only lotion I've used so far is the pre-electric shave stuff you get from Boots for about £3.

My neck and chin are the worse bits but what I do is wet and dry them so it feels like the hairs are sticking up and I get much closer.

Soldato
I use braun pocket&go with single foil to clean up neck hairs - multi-foil heads are great for flat areas, but not on curvy bits
a collection of razers is much more useful than watches/trainers, redundancy if a battery dies too.

given that you can buy the foil and heads independantly, I've never identified which actually wears the fastest ?
with brexit panasonic heads which I had bought cheapest from germany are more expensive. P&P ... if they were £10 a pop I'd buy every 6 months.

Not sure whether the motor power does diminish over the years - my panasonic linear was bought nearer 2000, and the designs still haven't changed much -
Pan foils look the same construction as ever, whilst the braun replacements look like cheaper & cheaper manufacturing.

Caporegime
Andis pro foil shaver. It's what professional barbers use. It's cheap at £50 and the foil and blades are easily replaced once dull because parts will be around forever.

If it's good enough for pro barbers then I'm sure that household use it will be bulletproof.

Only downside is no waterproofing for shower usage.

Man of Honour
In November 2016 I bought a Panasonic LV95 and up until November 2023 I had purchased one replacement foil so that means two foils lasted 7 years which isn't bad.
November this year I bought the LV67 and within 4 weeks I noticed a little hole forming in the foil so contacted Panasonic.
We have had about 6 emails each back and forth with them first saying they would exchange it.
All the remaining emails say I've forgotten how to treat my foil and it's my fault so they can't replace it.
I'm livid but Gorilla Tape is doing the trick and I can't even tell it's on the shaver :(

This was their last email, absolute jokers, 4 weeks and they're saying it's my fault -

Apologise if this was not the expected answer.

However, the lifetime for each part/unit is dependent on the usage and care provided by you, so this part might have not been cared for as the previous ones which resulted in it being damaged.

faultyfoil1.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom