Mare of Easttown

Man of Honour
Would it not have been a separate episode/airing on afterwards? Also worth noting the series was aired early Monday morning (3AM?) AND Monday night at 9PM.

Agreed, that’s fair enough, I have zero desire to keep this going, but would it not be strange if the “making of” piece was aired at 03.00 Monday, but not at 21.00 Monday?
I understand though that the 03.00 hrs airing is NOW TV, while the 21.00 hrs airing is Sky-Atlantic, but wait, my wife is saying that there was a report on BBC news that the streaming service HBO Max crashed just as it was about to start, could that be why some people saw “the making of” bit, but others didn’t?

Soldato
Agreed, that’s fair enough, I have zero desire to keep this going, but would it not be strange if the “making of” piece was aired at 03.00 Monday, but not at 21.00 Monday?
I understand though that the 03.00 hrs airing is NOW TV, while the 21.00 hrs airing is Sky-Atlantic, but wait, my wife is saying that there was a report on BBC news that the streaming service HBO Max crashed just as it was about to start, could that be why some people saw “the making of” bit, but others didn’t?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Soldato
While I don’t doubt that you saw it somewhere, it didn’t air on my TV, and I played the episode again, virtually from the struggle in the river between brothers Billy and John Ross for the gun, right up until Mare climbed the ladder to the loft, and then the credits rolled.

It was after the credits rolled, a separate feature. HBO would hardly insert this into the middle of an episode!!!

Man of Honour
It was after the credits rolled, a separate feature. HBO would hardly insert this into the middle of an episode!!!

I concur, HBO would hardly have done that, but this is all academic now, I’ve seen the piece on YouTube, I just wondered how it was that you had seen the “making of” thing, but it hadn’t appeared on my TV.
FWIW, we watched Mare on Sky-Atlantic at 21.00 last Monday evening.

Soldato
I concur, HBO would hardly have done that, but this is all academic now, I’ve seen the piece on YouTube, I just wondered how it was that you had seen the “making of” thing, but it hadn’t appeared on my TV.
FWIW, we watched Mare on Sky-Atlantic at 21.00 last Monday evening.

I watched it from the HBO airing not Sky Atlantic.

Soldato
Best crime show I've seen since season 1 of True Detective, I thought all of the characters were great but it was a career defining performance from Kate Winslet. The limited series category at the Emmys is stuffed this year and Mare of Eastown is probably the only thing that could keep the Emmys from Queen's Gambit and Anya Taylor-Joy - it will be interesting to see which comes home with the prizes.

Soldato
Loved it from start to finish, hopefully there's another in the pipeline.:cool:
There's no second series planned BUT everybody involved has said they would love to do one. Main sticking point is that the showrunner / writer won't make a second series unless he has a really good story to build around and he doesn't have one yet - fingers crossed :D

Soldato
There's no second series planned BUT everybody involved has said they would love to do one. Main sticking point is that the showrunner / writer won't make a second series unless he has a really good story to build around and he doesn't have one yet - fingers crossed :D
There's always the risk that a second series won't live up to the high standards of the first. The actors and characters are so good though, that I'm hoping the writers can produce another excellent story. :)

Soldato

walking dead/AMC episodes (vpn usa) also have these 'making of' things postscript - seems like it just a new excuse, across the board, for more advertising revenue -
I've usually turned off, let's keep some mystique about effects/characters.

Soldato
Best crime show I've seen since season 1 of True Detective, I thought all of the characters were great but it was a career defining performance from Kate Winslet. The limited series category at the Emmys is stuffed this year and Mare of Eastown is probably the only thing that could keep the Emmys from Queen's Gambit and Anya Taylor-Joy - it will be interesting to see which comes home with the prizes.

I finished Mare Of Easttown last night, it's in another league entirely, excellent series, great characters, great writing, great performances. It would be a crime if Queen's Gambit and it's paper-thin characters and glossy image over a pretty meh story arc wins awards, over Mare.

Caporegime
I thought it was great up to the final episode where I nodded off a couple of times.

Same, and I actually nearly gave up after the first episode due to it just being one boring hour of trivial family stuff from characters we didn't even know. As an exposition, I thought it was badly done and very boring/drawn out.

Also, the music/score was awful for the most part. I think the composer must have been drunk when they scored some of the scenes.

The middle/actual crime and detective bit was very good. I'm glad I persevered with it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom