Why do people obsess about Boot up times?

Soldato
I don't think anyone obsesses over it until they've made a cup of tea before their PC has finished loading into Windows (literally, i remember those times). In the age of SSD load times you'd be anal worrying over a second or two.

You must be as old as me then ;)

Soldato
So on a non clean install 1+ minutes. Nobody wants to wait that time for a device to boot.

If you help out your elderly neighbours whose OEM 5,400RPM HDDs are still running the OEM W10 that’s never been defragged and has about 50 applications trying to start on boot including Norton AND McAfee bloatware, you’re looking at 5 minutes.

Poor buggers usually have the lowest possible amount of slow RAM installed as well.

Soldato
How often to people boot their PC? I'm sitting on 18 days up time currently, it just sleeps when I get up. I guess I typically goes two weeks between reboot. Mac goes months!

Soldato
How often to people boot their PC? I'm sitting on 18 days up time currently, it just sleeps when I get up. I guess I typically goes two weeks between reboot. Mac goes months!

I used to do that but as my PC boys so quickly now I just boot it when I need it. I also find that Windows sleep settings can be a bit flakey.

Soldato

I typically reboot only when there are new Windows updates, so normally once per week.

Soldato
surely its just like the 0-60 stats of cars, mostly useless in the real world but a good indicator of the cars performance.

If I have a PC that has a 10s boot time you can bank on it being pretty fast overall.

V F

V F

Soldato
I don't think anyone obsesses over it until they've made a cup of tea before their PC has finished loading into Windows (literally, i remember those times). In the age of SSD load times you'd be anal worrying over a second or two.

Oh god I remember that early 00s at a company I used to work at. It was painful waiting on them load after 6 - 10 minutes.

Soldato
Corporate desktops are something else. My work systems (going back 5-15 years now), Windows and Linux often took over 10 minutes to boot in the morning.

Man of Honour
My secondary laptop is 10-11 years old and has a mech HDD. Takes ages to get going and is a problem to the extent sometimes I can't be arsed booting it up. Basically it just gets used for streaming video in the kitchen every now and then.
My primary laptop is 7 years old and has a SSD. It's slower to boot than my PC with NVME drive but not something I worry about, a few seconds here or there plus it's not like you boot your computer dozens of times a day.

Similarly my wife changed trusts in the NHS and had to give back her laptop with SSD to be replaced with one with a HDD, she hates it.

Associate
On older systems, I'd rarely turn my PC off, now with modern powerful systems and a crazy NVME SSD I boot in about 10 seconds, which means I can leave the PC off when unused and save electricity. My old system on windows 7 and a 2.5" SSD was still a little inconvenient to boot, so mostly left on all day every day even boot on times less than a minute.

Associate
I think boot times matter only in so much as it's a poor proxy for general system/disk performance. If a PC takes 2 minutes to boot then the likelihood is that even once it's booted it's going to be an annoyance to use.

Associate
My current boot time is not so great, for some reason my ram reset to 3200. Since I set it back to 3600 xmp profile my boot up includes 2 or 3 power cycles like it’s failing to boot and about to reset the bios. Following that it boots up just fine.

Clearly something isn’t right but I’m just avoiding turning it off at the moment :)

Associate
Some people do obsess over boot times and I don't get it, there really as not much to worry about now, as long as you have a reasonable spec'd system and atleast an SSD your talking a couple of seconds difference now, it's not like the old HDD days.

I've recently turned off fast boot just because I want my USB off when the PC is off as my son has a habit of touching the keyboard and it lights up (RGB keyboard, 2 year old, DOH!) and to be honest I can't even tell the difference.

As long as you cant get a cup of tea in the time it turns on its all good :cry:

Back
Top Bottom