Noah's Ark unseaworthy

Soldato
need-a-boat-i-naoh-guy.jpg

:p

That's a tad caustic, no?

Man of Honour
Looked like the "ark" sits on top of some kind of barge and not an actual ground up boat design.

It would be good to send this ship off on its way with 2 of each animal for 40 days and nights to see what happens.

Can we use trade plates on it like in the motor industry?

IIRC the voyage so to speak was a year and 10 days or something - it was 40 days and nights which it rained for.

When you point out the slight issue in respect to the amount of fodder for just 200 pairs of animals for that long requiring a super-tanker full in tow it becomes a miracle (feeding the 5000 style) - which also raises a lot of questions due to consistency with the reporting of other miracles in the Bible - or a parable - which raises even more problems in respect to Noah.

I remember a funny take on that someone mentioned when questioning about the feeding side and apparently some old lady's take on it was the animals feed on the carcasses of all the unbelievers floating in the flood.

Man of Honour
There are more "slight issues". Millions of animals would produce a lot of waste. How would that be dealt with? What about water? That would be an even larger requirement than food. Not to mention the issue of housing millions of animals on a wooden boat, given the rather small limitations of size of a wooden boat that's seaworthy. How did all the animals of the world get to the boat? How many of each were there, anyway? Most people think two of each, but that's not at all clear. In reality, it would have to be a viable genetic pool and that would be at least hundreds of each animal. Then there's the multitude of animals that eat other animals, so you'd need even more of most animals so you had enough surplus animals to be food for the other animals.

In short, it's nonsense. The only "explanation" I've seen that comes even vaguely close to being maybe possible at a stretch is that it was a huge spaceship bringing embryoes in stasis to Earth from some other planet.

Commissario
And if Noah had tried to run a radio station from the boat, the government killjoys would have been down on him like a ton of bricks quoting the Marine offences act.

Associate
As someone that works for the MCA, I can assure you that it is entirely justified as I had a little look into it this morning. I'm surprised it was even allowed into the country.
Its also been detained for over a year so this isn't new news.

As someone who has to deal with the mca this probably means they filled in a wrong box on the paperwork, or maybe a spelling mistake.

Soldato
And if Noah had tried to run a radio station from the boat, the government killjoys would have been down on him like a ton of bricks quoting the Marine offences act.
Thats a 1960's reference if I ever did see one.

And Hank Mizell was playing Jungle Rock all night long.

Last edited:
Soldato
Gotta understand back in bible days, the whole world was more like a 10 mile radius around where they were born.
2 of every animal "in the world" was probably more like 10 mammals a few birds and a snake or something

Soldato
I dunno, even back then there was quite a bit of knowledge. Somehow enough to build a giant wooden boat by a guy who didn't live anywhere near the sea :D

Associate
It’s probably fair to say that, in the UK, even those who follow Christianity know that the Flood story is allegorical. Unlike the US, Young Earth/Creationists are a tiny minority. The hugely and comically convoluted attempts provide a “scientific” explanation for much such tales, despite vast amounts of evidence to the contrary, must have Mr Occam spinning in his grave.

What I don’t quite get is that once you accept that this is the nature of that myth, then really the next logical progression is that it’s all made up (as well as competing and contradicting belief systems). But then, a lot of people believe that 5G spreads COVID, so it’s clearly human nature to want to believe wild and crazy stuff purely on the basis of someone telling you.

Man of Honour
It’s probably fair to say that, in the UK, even those who follow Christianity know that the Flood story is allegorical. Unlike the US, Young Earth/Creationists are a tiny minority. The hugely and comically convoluted attempts provide a “scientific” explanation for much such tales, despite vast amounts of evidence to the contrary, must have Mr Occam spinning in his grave.

What I don’t quite get is that once you accept that this is the nature of that myth, then really the next logical progression is that it’s all made up (as well as competing and contradicting belief systems). But then, a lot of people believe that 5G spreads COVID, so it’s clearly human nature to want to believe wild and crazy stuff purely on the basis of someone telling you.

Writing it off as allegorical/parable creates huge problems for the rest of the Bible dealing with Noah (which does come around to it's all made up). Though an easy way to try and deflect people who don't know the Bible.

On another note

Soldato

Probably was made up, then altered and added to over the ages. Most people couldn't read when this stuff was written and just believed whatever someone told them it said.

Back
Top Bottom