• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Soldato
Every now and then I look at the sold prices of used cards like the rx580 on ebay and there still selling for between £300 to £350.

Hopefully Crypto continues to get buried (GPU price inflation is a secondary concern for me I get angry over just how much electric is getting wasted on 'mining' this rubbish) throughout the summer. With GPU's still fetching high prices at some point those miners with hundreds of cards will look of cash in and once one player does it another will follow and then another. Hard to predict when that will start but if Crypto prices remain deflated, ASIC's coming online and sky high GPU prices it will be very soon imo.

Soldato
Launching two new SKU's when nobody can get a hold of cards anyway is so F-in insulting.
They're just cashing in while they can. Practically stop manufacturing 3080s, replace it with the 3080 Ti (keeping a trickle of 3080s flowing just so they can say it exists at that price point), jack the price up another $200 at the last second for good measure and know they'll still sell every one they can manufacture. It'd grate less if Nvidia and their fanboys would at least shut the **** up about how Nvidia is trying to help gamers out in some way. We've surpassed Turing levels of milking at this point.

Associate
They're just cashing in while they can. Practically stop manufacturing 3080s, replace it with the 3080 Ti (keeping a trickle of 3080s flowing just so they can say it exists at that price point), jack the price up another $200 at the last second for good measure and know they'll still sell every one they can manufacture. It'd grate less if Nvidia and their fanboys would at least shut the **** up about how Nvidia is trying to help gamers out in some way. We've surpassed Turing levels of milking at this point.

100%

Associate
I think the Ti branded cards have now reached the point where they are completely irrelevant, given that they used to be about getting circa 30% more power, at an "affordable" price.

With each series of GPU, the gain from the Ti has gotten slimmer, and slimmer, and slimmer, to the point that it's now only a smidgen faster than the Vanilla X080 card.

Heck they used to give the Ti card a different GPU chip, but now they'ved essentially used the same GPU across all three cards!

Permabanned

Yep crazy, £400 higher than a 3080 for very little extra performance. I'm sure there will be plenty of stock of the ti, I just hope people with a brain cell won't buy it.

Thought this was amusing.

Screenshot-20210606-185644.jpg

Associate
Id buy a 3080 if they were at rrp but no chance iam buying 1 at the prices being asked, not that i can anyways so iam stuck with my 2070Super, which is hardly terrible. On a side note i saw a 2060 on OCUK for 670quid. I bought my 2070S for 450 last March. Thats shocking.

Associate
Id buy a 3080 if they were at rrp but no chance iam buying 1 at the prices being asked, not that i can anyways so iam stuck with my 2070Super, which is hardly terrible. On a side note i saw a 2060 on OCUK for 670quid. I bought my 2070S for 450 last March. Thats shocking.

That 670 quid is 50 quid more than I paid for this 2080, which like your 2070s, is hardly terrible. Makes waiting for all this to get a bit more sensible pretty easy.

Associate
The retailer which is critical of others needs to look at the price of their Asrock 6700xt Phantom, eg compared to OcUK. The only way this pricing madness will stop is if we stop buying from retailers & retailers in turn stop buying from AIB partners as they cannot sell the cards

Associate
Patience, people. Frustrating as it is, the moment you pull the trigger and feed a scalper you just delay the correction all the more. I'd love a new GPU, but I won't abandon my core principles to do it. This will get better. The key thing is to remember who acted with integrity and who chose not to. and then to adjust our buying preferences accordingly.

kar

kar

Associate
Ive been in the market for a while, foolishly (in retrospect) flogged my 1060 a few months ago thinking with new cards on the horizon I'd get an upgrade once prices settled.

So have been watching and trying to get hold of something. Managed to get a 6700 XT, was a nice card, whined so loud did my head in (literally). Sold that on in the MM to a happy owner. Now I've pulled the trigger on a 2060 at a still silly price, but one I can stomach. Going to sit out this generation I think unless something changes, there's a big backlog of older (3-4 years+) games I have to catch up on!

Soldato
Prices on Ebay and the like seem to be dropping a little, at least on some cards. 3070s are now available for under £1000, whereas they were going for £1200-1300 a few weeks ago. Still a ridiculous price for a £470 card of course, but definetly trending downwards.

Associate
Ive been in the market for a while, foolishly (in retrospect) flogged my 1060 a few months ago thinking with new cards on the horizon I'd get an upgrade once prices settled.

So have been watching and trying to get hold of something. Managed to get a 6700 XT, was a nice card, whined so loud did my head in (literally). Sold that on in the MM to a happy owner. Now I've pulled the trigger on a 2060 at a still silly price, but one I can stomach. Going to sit out this generation I think unless something changes, there's a big backlog of older (3-4 years+) games I have to catch up on!

I'm glad I didn't make this mistake now. I was thinking of selling my 1080 Ti before the 3080 launched. The reason I didn't was that for some still unknown reason, my Radeon 550 wont work in my main build (no output to screen), and I was going to plan to use it as a backup until getting a 3080.

I wouldn't have liked to have been stuck with a 2 Gb Radeon 550 all this time, plus its the gimpy non RX version with 64 bit ram (4 Gb 128bit was £30 more and I just wanted the cheapest).

Associate
Prices on Ebay and the like seem to be dropping a little, at least on some cards. 3070s are now available for under £1000, whereas they were going for £1200-1300 a few weeks ago. Still a ridiculous price for a £470 card of course, but definetly trending downwards.

They are still being made and released. Give it time, graphics cards aren't consumables.

If anyone has been using their graphics card once then throwing it away, we need to talk.

Associate
Scalper prices for 3080’s have dropped loads. Pre 3080 Ti I was seeing up to £2.2k… post 3080 Ti I am seeing as low as £1,350.

Some scalpers are also seeing the trend and knocking £’s off because they are not shifting their stock.

May the trend continue!

Man of Honour
I guess the thing about scalping where gfx cards are concerned is you've got the fallback option of mining. It's not like a lot of goods where being stuck with them for a period of time is a big issue, I mean say you buy some rare trainers and you've got them sat in your living room, people aren't paying you money to come round and wear them for a few hours, they are generating zero revenue. So worst case scenario if you are scalping 3000 series is you put them to work mining if you haven't been able to shift them at a decent margin.

Back
Top Bottom