***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Associate
I've tried Feathers, but my go to blade is Astra, you can't go wrong.
Has anyone here tried the Henson Shaving AL13? Tempted...

Had Astras and liked them and for the price of them which iirc is like £10 for 100 on the rainforest, you definitely can't go wrong however, I just prefer the feel of the Feathers. I can easily get 8 or 10 shaves out of Feather which for the cost is still incredible value.

That is an interesting take on that DE. One of the pictures clearly showing the exposure of an EJ89 style head vs theirs. The shape of the head clearly shows you the 'angle' at which you are supposed to hold the base and top of the razor against which should help novices.

Soldato
It does look good but my question would be if it's made from aluminium then is it heavy enough to cut through stubble without any pressure?

Soldato
Glad to hear the Feathers went well! Despite their fierce reputation, they suit my very sensitive skin perfectly. They simply take fewer passes to get the job done and therefore minimize contact with the skin which means less risk of irritation and soreness.
Cheers dude. I have made a bit of a further break through. Turns out a few drops of shave oil are my new best friend. Baby smooth skin with zero irritation.

My progress has also arrived but not had time to play with it yet.

Soldato
Small update. Love the Progress. Wish I had bought this many years ago as my first Razor.

I'm currently using my Feathers in the Progress but I'm unsure of them for reasons I can't put my finger on. I wonder if I need a less aggressive blade and let the razor handle the aggression through the settings??

Associate
Small update. Love the Progress. Wish I had bought this many years ago as my first Razor.

I'm currently using my Feathers in the Progress but I'm unsure of them for reasons I can't put my finger on. I wonder if I need a less aggressive blade and let the razor handle the aggression through the settings??

Maybe try an Astra Platinum/Green box. On the scale of sharpness they're around an 8/10, so just a tad milder than the Feather and may suit the variant nature of the Progress. If they suit, you can get a 100 blade carton of them from the rainforest for £7.46 at the moment.

Soldato

Definitely try a different blade, I’d go for Gillette 7 o’clock yellows, I got 100 for £8 and like the Astra’s are a very good mild blade

Soldato
I usually use the 7 Oclock Greens, whats the difference in the Yellows?

Not too sure but I think ones stainless and the other is platinum coated, a bit like green and blue Astra blades

Interesting. For a small purchase Id rather go with Amazon which seem to only have the Astra's at the moment.

I wonder if the German Personna's I got might actually shine now?

I got some personna medipreps after being advised on here (think they may be American though) and couldn’t get on with them, gave them to my brother.

Soldato
After getting rid of the lockdown beard I couldn't bare the thought of going back to shaving again, my beard is very thick and face sensitive. I decided to try the Panasonic Arc 5 and cannot believe how good it is. It's not quite as close as wet shaving but absolutely no soreness at all and it took 3 minutes as opposed to 20. Very pleased.

Soldato
They are all so cheap man, buy them all and tray each one out.
I went though about 7 blades before I settled on one I liked.

Small update. Astra's seemed ok on first pass but seemed to not last as long as other blades. Currently trying a 7 O Clock Green which has been great so far. Got a single 7 O Clock yellow to try after and a Gilette blue or platinum one.

Found my old ones so a bit concerning in the years they might have changed. Green so far winning.

Anyone able to sum up the difference between the greens/yellows and platinum?

Soldato
OP
You maybe found them harsh because they really are that much sharper than anything else and so you probably went in too aggressively with them. Feathers I literally let the razor fall down my face by it's weight, I apply no further pressure myself. A pass in each direction like that and my face is baby smooth. Haven't used any other blade for over 5 years now.

Soldato
You maybe found them harsh because they really are that much sharper than anything else and so you probably went in too aggressively with them. Feathers I literally let the razor fall down my face by it's weight, I apply no further pressure myself. A pass in each direction like that and my face is baby smooth. Haven't used any other blade for over 5 years now.

I found them great in the Muhle, but Ive picked up a Merkur Progress and try as I might I dont think it likes Feathers. Enjoying trying a few more for now

Back
Top Bottom