Post Your Garden!

Associate
Thanks a lot for sharing that @dark-knight :)

How long did the whole thing take from start to finish and was you able to live there while the work was being done and how was that like?

It took about 6 months give or take, yes we lived here but taped of every room we were not extending. With hindsight I wished (If we could have) went away on holiday

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It took about 6 months give or take, yes we lived here but taped of every room we were not extending. With hindsight I wished (If we could have) went away on holiday
Haha. Yeah, that is a long time to live with your family and the build sees around. But we’ll worth in the end, such a nice result you got.

We maybe doing something similar ourselves, but maybe in a couple of years time. Which actually works out because right now demand is high for both builders and material so we would end up paying a lot more probably.

One last question if I may, do you know the name of the brick that was used?

Associate
Its Cuprinol 5 year ducksback Silver Copse. Needed quite a few coats and it is a thicker paint but it leaves like a waxy texture once the coats have all dried.
Brilliant thank you. Thats one I was already looking at.
Also your rattan sofa is exactly what we are looking for, could you share where you purchased it from please

Associate
Also your rattan sofa is exactly what we are looking for, could you share where you purchased it from please

I'm unsure as my mother ordered it a while back for us but took some time to come, sorry.

One last question if I may, do you know the name of the brick that was used?
Nope again sorry, it wasn't a copy of an original brick it was the batches of original bricks made by the company, If my memory serves me correct it was £1 per brick (which Ive been told is a lot) and Jewsons where the only local supplier.

Don
Andy, My initial thought would be to feed/fertilize the bush, seems healthier lower down, what looks to be a slight slope, could be worth aerating the soil at the end of you garden under the bushes, finding some slow release feed and putting it down. Check what kind of bush it is and what it likes to eat/drink and find the appropriate

it may also be worth working through it and cutting out any dead parts and giving a good trim at the top - will be pretty harsh this year but will rapidly recover and should come back better than before.

I cant quite make out what the hedge consists of. Is it privot or are there different types or bushes? Some of it looks like viney type plants, maybe honeysuckle?

If its privot you will need to cut it right back to try to get it to grow closer to the structure. Some of it looks quite scraggly and is showing old wood that isnt/wont grow new shoots.

A lot of stuff wont shoot from old stems/wood and will only sprout at the ends were it is cut or growing.

Hi all, sorry for late response. Finally had a day in the garden. I did dig up the soil as mentioned and put some feed down although I cannot see it making much difference. I don't know what kind of hedge it is but have included some pics to hopefully help with any advice.

This is what it looked like back in 2014 when we moved in:

Li8hXqQ.jpg

And now:

UGb4KRA.jpg

3kwheEH.jpg

Also, the whole hedge isn't like this, the end looks like this:

4dFfXKi.jpg

Lovely and healthy, unfortunately this part is round 30% of the whole hedge :(

Soldato
Final before and after from me :)

Before....

i5wkBAF.jpg

After - bit of planting to do but basically there including the hue lights that were secretly my whole interest in doing this..

fd44IqW.jpg

m4OHJtA.jpg

Soldato
Hi all, sorry for late response. Finally had a day in the garden. I did dig up the soil as mentioned and put some feed down although I cannot see it making much difference. I don't know what kind of hedge it is but have included some pics to hopefully help with any advice.

This is what it looked like back in 2014 when we moved in:

Li8hXqQ.jpg

And now:

UGb4KRA.jpg

3kwheEH.jpg

Also, the whole hedge isn't like this, the end looks like this:

4dFfXKi.jpg

Lovely and healthy, unfortunately this part is round 30% of the whole hedge :(
That is certainly privet.

The bare bits look like they might be suffereing from blight and weeds have taken over, especialy that long velcro stuff, which is a pain in the backside. https://homeguides.sfgate.com/privet-hedge-problems-43811.html . Some of the long branches in the middle look like they may be okay. You can check by scaping some bark off to see if its green (fleshy) or not.

If it isnt blight it could be fairly easy to fix it by cutting it right back closer to the ground. If the twigs are brittle then its more than likely some kind of blight which means green will not grow back as the wood would be dead or dieing. At this time of year there should be little shoots coming out of the branches if its alive still. Mainly at the tips.

There is a lot that can be done but its a bit long winded to post in here, but basicaly involves cutting out the dead wood and either bending some of the good branches over the bare patches, (I think it may be called layering. They do it for country road hedges as it forms a strong barrier) or replacing with a few new bushes.

It will take serveral seasons to get it back but privet is very fast growing at this time of year, especialy if well fed and watered.

That said, you may have just been trimming it wrong and it could just do with a nice hair cut so it can start sprouting lower down and then it will shoot up, but its hard to tell without seeing and touching it up close.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not rattan but we managed to find this incase it helps: https://www.tectake.co.uk/garden-furniture-set-faro-variant-2-800889-403903

£480 aluminium with waterproof cushions. Decent enough build quality and fairly comfortable.
As b0rn2sk8 said there is a shortage, especially at the more affordable price range.

My Mrs just found this site and is looking at:

Shop cheap Barletta Rattan Garden Furniture Set online | tectake

I must admit I didn't get a good vibe from the website but you ordered, received etc ok? Did it arrive from Germany? This is my concern if I need to invoke the warranty for any reason I am going to have hassles with them being, from what I gather, a German company.

Soldato
My Mrs just found this site and is looking at:

Shop cheap Barletta Rattan Garden Furniture Set online | tectake

I must admit I didn't get a good vibe from the website but you ordered, received etc ok? Did it arrive from Germany? This is my concern if I need to invoke the warranty for any reason I am going to have hassles with them being, from what I gather, a German company.

Yeah the item arrived fine from Germany and didn't take too long either (just under a week iirc - my Mrs ordered it).

Back
Top Bottom