Do I need to declare an air filter?

Associate
They would but the premium would have been more.

In a caseclikevthat now they would still have to pay out, though would be able to knock that additional premium off any settlement amount.

If however out had pushed the rush profile over the edge of their risk limits then they can still refuse to pay out and not cop any flak for it if they could show that they wouldn't have sold the policy if the policyholder had been honest at the start.

Soldato
Having seen how much of fine detail investigators go into when accidents become fatal I would ensure anything none standard is declared.

Soldato
Even high performance tyres and brake disks/pads could be considered "non standard" though. You will gain way more performance by fitting these than changing a filter. How far do you go :p

I wouldn't declare things which are consumables like bushes or panel filters inside the OEM housing. Otherwise you'd end up declaring something every time you replace a factory part on older cars.

Last edited:

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
As always with these things there is a threshold to meet which is generally what is reasonable or reasonably obvious to a layman. What defines reasonable is always a bit of a grey area and it will vary from case to case but say a set of wheels which are OEM but were not fitted to that particular car at the time of original sale. How are you, a reasonable layperson, supposed to know that? You aren't likely to, so you would generally pass the reasonable test. If you have a 6" wide exhaust pipe on your Corsa 1.2, it should be clear to anyone that it is not standard and thus you would fail the reasonableness test. Very visible, brightly coloured air intakes are not likely to be reasonable. Remaps where you have not yourself remapped the car and have no knowledge of the presence of a remap would also probably be OK - you're not an expert, you can't interrogate the car's ECU so as a layperson there is no way you are going to be reasonably expected to discover and thus declare it.

I'm not a lawyer so take the above with a pinch of salt. In the case of the OP, simply having asked for a quote for the modification is clearly enough to prove that the OP was aware of it, so either put it back to standard, sell the car or find a mod-friendly insurer.

Soldato
Largely a moot point at this stage. If you have done a quote with your details to find out it’s significantly more expensive, your insurer has access to that information and in the event of a claim is likely to check. Your plausible deniability is now wilful deception to obtain a financial advantage… you probably don’t want to find out how that will play out, but it potentially ends in you having to answer ‘Yes’ to certain questions for the rest of your life that will significantly increase your premium on every policy, and that’s if the underwriter is willing to quote at all.

The general rule is tell your insurer everything and let them decide what is relevant to them, don’t assume because one insurer is happy with something, another will be. Insurance in the UK is nuts on occasions, the PH thread where my current insurer refused a claim due to three small flower stickers sticks in my mind as being insane.

Back
Top Bottom