• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

• Insane Realtime Destruction And Physics - CryEngine 2014 •

Man of Honour
I find the one where the aircraft wing went through it interesting. You were left with half of the board floating in mid-air. Physics win. ;)

But I agree, some good potential here. Not really the most inspiring way to show the technology off though.
Yeah that looks really silly, 2:10.
Generally what I didn't like in this was:

1) The bits of the walls that are left standing seem oblivious to what is going on around them. Smash a vehicle through the part of the wall next to it and small thin fragments of wall can sit there completely rigid. Essentially only parts of the wall that come into contact with a foreign object seem affected.
2) Creates a 'confetti' effect where lots of flaky particles seem to come off without much sustenance to them

On the flipside, things don't need to be realistic to look impressive in games.

Soldato
His specs: Just thought would be nice to ask him what he was running.

CPU: i5 3570k @4.5Ghz- 4.8Ghz Turbo
GPU: R9 290
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Gene z77
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
PSU: Corsair AX750 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
SSD: 250GB Kingston 500MB/S Read and Write
CPU Cooler: Antek Kuhler H20 920
Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer

Fast forward 7 years and PCs now eat that system up for breakfast yet games generally still don't use real time destruction for complex geometric assets. Thank last gen consoles and it's entry level notebook cpu

Soldato
BF3 BF4 and BF Vietnam had quite good buildings destruction.

Whilst the demo doesn't look great I think people are missing the point of it. In how much more particles and granularity that demo has in the destruction. The destruction is shaped where in previous games the destruction was in one shape and decided - a tank in BF would make the same shape destruction and the buildings would collapse in the same way every time. This shows a much more advanced physics engine and REALTIME destruction in the shape of whatever hits the destructible medium.

Soldato
Fast forward 7 years and PCs now eat that system up for breakfast yet games generally still don't use real time destruction for complex geometric assets. Thank last gen consoles and it's entry level notebook cpu

Red Faction worked on those too, far more advanced than the fake physics of BF.
Is just the devs don't bother to do the extra work when they can get away with far less.

Back
Top Bottom