Speedfan alternatives?

Soldato
Not that I'm aware of... But Hw monitor can provide some insight.

1. Hard drives don't tend to have heat issues in normal circumstances.. How hot are they?

2. Graphics cards can get hot but built up heat inside the case will tend to rely on the cpu fan and case fans.. So the cpu temp is a really useful indicator for overall thermal issues anyway as hot air circulation in the case will drive up cpu temps and fan speed.

I don't tend to focus on individual components temperatures unless something gets too hot, the graphics card may have some fan control built into the driver software so should in theory it look after itself.

For me it's about overall temps rather than trying to micromanage the temps of individual components.

Associate
OP
When I ran unRAID or software like SnapRAID I found HDD temps could get high especially when fully loaded with spinning rust drives. So hence like to monitor and adjust intakes when they blow direct over drives

Recently tried mining and obv CPU just idles while GPU is really toasty... So adjusting intake/exhaust based on GPU temp is handy

BIOS wont monitor those and adjust fans

Soldato
i second argus, i paid for mine as it is that good. it is a one off cost and worth every pennies. Now i have it on my little itx plex server also to control the fans based on the HDD temp instead of just constantly spinning at low revs.

Associate
As a hardware solution I have a Corsair Commander Pro with external sensors on the chassis etc to help with this

Associate
Argus monitor is great, I recently purchased it as well because my cpu heatsink and fan was so efficient it put my GPU out of balance so I wanted to have my case fans react to the GPU temp instead. Everything is perfect now!

Soldato
Yeah I found this too late last night.. 4 awful videos explaining how to use it too :( Looks nice and like a spirtual successor to SpeedFan

Thanks for the other suggestions guys!

yeah did confuse me but just need to play about , works brilliantly and finally ditched icue hardly uses any background processes

Soldato
I use an Aquacomputer OCTO*, which can set fans (and other things) according to just about any data shown in HWInfo... including HDD temperatures! ;)

*Quadros are cheaper, but have fewer headers

Soldato
Been using Argus Monitor for the past year and its solid, no issues. Paid for the full version over xmas when they had a deal on the 3 year plan and well worth it tbh.

I control all my Fans via that now and i can see all my temps and activity with the system through this software too, comes in handy when diagnosing certain issues.

Soldato
I wished I discovered Fan Control sooner all this time I used iCUE saw few mention how poor it is constantly using background processes so I exiting icue and looking at power it went down by 10-15 watts , improved idle temps 1-2c I know its not much but its something :p got rid of corsair fans and ram now just use motherboard software to set rgb and fan control to set fan curves ;)

maj

maj

Soldato
I found that Fan Control awhile ago but struggled to match fans due to the fact that my fans won't go down to 0rpm despite being PWM unless I was doing something wrong. Looked on Arctic website and then saw lowest they go is 200rpm.

Soldato
I use this to set case fan curves according to GPU temp also has other sensors to use and it's free

https://github.com/Rem0o/FanControl.Releases
This looks very cool! Something open source and self run is right up my street, and I love Speedfan but it's not very compatible with anything remotely new. Cheers :cool:

I found that Fan Control awhile ago but struggled to match fans due to the fact that my fans won't go down to 0rpm despite being PWM unless I was doing something wrong. Looked on Arctic website and then saw lowest they go is 200rpm.
The vast majority of fans won't go to 0RPM. Typically fans are built in such a way that below around 30% PWM signal they won't get any slower. This is partially to prevent stalling, ultimately it's a feature of the fan's internal control circuitry.

Back
Top Bottom